So you have problems with DNS. You create sub-domains but can’t view them in your browsers or you are unable to create sub-domains. You are unable to add or park domains. These are signs that the name servers that you are using may not be configured correctly. If support is not readily available there is a work around this. You can create your own private name servers.
But first an explanation of how the name servers work. When you buy yourself a domain or get a free domain you have to point the domain to your Website IPs otherwise people won’t be able to see your Website. For this purpose your Webhost usually supplies you with two name servers that look like this:
These two name servers are set up to point to two IPs that make up your Website address. Problem may occur when your Webhost has changed IPs frequently and/or something has gone wrong with the configuration of the name servers. A way to test whether the DNS is properly configured by your Webhost is to use a tool like this one:
Here’s how you create private name servers.
- If you haven’t done this already make a full back-up of your cPanel content and save it to the hard disk of your computer.
- If you have large databases, also make individual back-ups of your databases and save those to your computer as well.
Find the two IPs that make up the address of your Website.
- Log into your cPanel.
- Click on the file manager and in the little dialog window that comes up select the domain you are working with. Click on the radio button “document root for” and at the bottom of the little window select “show hidden files (dotfiles)”.
- Look for .cpanel on the left hand side of the folders and select a folder called datastore
- Inside datastore there is a file called all_iplist.db. Select this file and click view.
- Then for “open with” select Notepad.
- The file will contain two IPs that make up the address of your Website.
- Go to your domain registrar.
- This may not be available with free domains but there is a feature in paid domains where one can register one’s own private name servers.
- Here is a demonstration of how to register one’s private name servers in Namecheap:
Once you have registered the two private name servers you need to add those name servers to your domain first in order for them to work. Here is a demonstration of how to change name servers in your domain registrar account:
If you have added or parked your domain previously in cPanel you need to go back into cPanel, remove the domain and add or park it back. For adding or parking your domain when it hasn’t been possible before, you will find it will be working now. You can add or park domains with no problem.
Lastly you can inspect the status of the DNS of your domain with the dns inspection tool:
If correctly configured it should come up with an “A”.