Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Anyone tried out the new WordPress Gutenberg Editor yet?

I'm curious whether anyone has tried out the new WordPress Gutenberg Editor yet? Last night when I was checking some of my e-mail accounts I came across a tutorial at wpapprentice.com that was provided complimentary as part of a course I had subscribed to. I then got stuck into the Gutenberg course, so many possibilities, once one knows where all of the links and tools are. I'm much impressed.

So am very curious to know whether anyone has tried out the new Gutenberg Block Editor, and what your experiences have been like?
Not really. I'm too wary that it will screw up something with my sites. Maybe I should make a test site and play around with it though. Have you tried it out yet?
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
(01-02-2019, 03:43 AM)Yozora Wrote: Not really. I'm too wary that it will screw up something with my sites. Maybe I should make a test site and play around with it though. Have you tried it out yet?
You should try it. But yes, definitely on a test site. I think the more sophisticated the theme that includes some form of editor, the greater the chance it will conflict. Although I must say, looks as though the developers have considered the possibility of a conflict of certain editors - not all though.

There are some very interesting tools - but the real challenge is to discover where they are - I was lucky to do the online course yesterday, so now know to click on a little circle with a plus in it in the block I'm in. Gutenberg is mostly a block editor - you work with blocks and you can create blocks. First block is the header and that can't be edited as it takes the default theme attributes by default. Then the next block is a default text block - but you can change it into other kinds of blocks. When you click inside it you'll see a little menu on top which is mostly a quick menu. There's also a circle with a plus in the top left corner of the Gutenberg Dashboard and that brings a whole series of layout elements - this is the one you also need to use in order to upload images and embed media. Then in the right column of the dashboard you have the document editor but you need to also see that the block editor is there as well - you need to click on a link next to the document editor to open it. The block editor here is very dynamic as you can format a whole host of things including background and font colors, also font sizes.

Think it will take a while to figure out where everything is. Must say however when I learned to use WordPress the very first time a few years ago now, I had to search where everything was, and in the end it became so frustrating I did a YouTube step by step course. It is definitely feature rich and powerful - once one has all of what is available mastered of course and figured out where the tool links are, and that may take some time.

But yes, it's a good idea to be super cautious if you don't want to break a theme. I'd experiment with a copy of your site first. Just a hint when you do this. Gutenberg will bring up your posts in classic editor view - it will detect the editor for old posts, which then doesn't include the Gutenberg tools - you need to activate those first. So when you click in the block, in the classic editor menu row at the end where the three vertical dots are. If you click on the dots link it will give you an option to select the Gutenberg editor. You can change that back as well.

My next step after the course is to create a new experimental site and see how much of Gutenberg I can figure out by memory - and maybe do the course again just to refresh it and develop some kind of dexterity. I think it's worth it to use the editor, but I wonder how long it will take for plugin and theme administrators to catch up. Maybe it will only effect the format related plugins - not so sure yet. Still have to figure out lots of things. So if anyone else can contribute their experiences here would be great.
[-] The following 2 users Like Genesis's post:
  • helpremember, Yozora
(01-02-2019, 04:55 AM)Genesis Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 03:43 AM)Yozora Wrote: Not really. I'm too wary that it will screw up something with my sites. Maybe I should make a test site and play around with it though. Have you tried it out yet?
You should try it. But yes, definitely on a test site. I think the more sophisticated the theme that includes some form of editor, the greater the chance it will conflict. Although I must say, looks as though the developers have considered the possibility of a conflict of certain editors - not all though.

There are some very interesting tools - but the real challenge is to discover where they are - I was lucky to do the online course yesterday, so now know to click on a little circle with a plus in it in the block I'm in. Gutenberg is mostly a block editor - you work with blocks and you can create blocks. First block is the header and that can't be edited as it takes the default theme attributes by default. Then the next block is a default text block - but you can change it into other kinds of blocks. When you click inside it you'll see a little menu on top which is mostly a quick menu. There's also a circle with a plus in the top left corner of the Gutenberg Dashboard and that brings a whole series of layout elements - this is the one you also need to use in order to upload images and embed media. Then in the right column of the dashboard you have the document editor but you need to also see that the block editor is there as well - you need to click on a link next to the document editor to open it. The block editor here is very dynamic as you can format a whole host of things including background and font colors, also font sizes.

Think it will take a while to figure out where everything is. Must say however when I learned to use WordPress the very first time a few years ago now, I had to search where everything was, and in the end it became so frustrating I did a YouTube step by step course. It is definitely feature rich and powerful - once one has all of what is available mastered of course and figured out where the tool links are, and that may take some time.

But yes, it's a good idea to be super cautious if you don't want to break a theme. I'd experiment with a copy of your site first. Just a hint when you do this. Gutenberg will bring up your posts in classic editor view - it will detect the editor for old posts, which then doesn't include the Gutenberg tools - you need to activate those first. So when you click in the block, in the classic editor menu row at the end where the three vertical dots are. If you click on the dots link it will give you an option to select the Gutenberg editor. You can change that back as well.

My next step after the course is to create a new experimental site and see how much of Gutenberg I can figure out by memory - and maybe do the course again just to refresh it and develop some kind of dexterity. I think it's worth it to use the editor, but I wonder how long it will take for plugin and theme administrators to catch up. Maybe it will only effect the format related plugins - not so sure yet. Still have to figure out lots of things. So if anyone else can contribute their experiences here would be great.

Thanks for the tips! Wow, it sounds like Gutenberg isn't very coding-friendly. Like with the classic editor I can just switch to the source code view and input code instead of relying on content blocks. I guess the rumors were true about Gutenberg targeting people who are used to using WYSIWYG editors instead of coding. I can't say I blame them (it seems like almost every Youtube commercial I see these days is advertising website builder services like Wix or Squarespace) though it's kind of disappointing. I'll still try Gutenberg out though, I just don't have high hopes for it.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
There's a very slight element of coding in it, but yes, Gutenberg is not code friendly. You can work with html options in the blocks and a little bit of css, but for big projects in your league where you are involved in child themes and maybe genesis development, it's not code friendly at all. It's written more for people who use WordPress on the wisiwyg basis and it's not even good that way as most of the tools are hidden. I needed to work my way through a course first to discover where the new Gutenberg tools and links are. Mind you, I also needed a course a few years ago to figure out where all the WP tools in the dashboard were when I started to use WP the first time.

No doubt though the plugin and theme developers will work their way around the new Gutenberg. I guess some of them must be very unhappy now, but eventually may cash in to Gutenberg for their themes. Huge adjustment for everyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • Yozora