Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gigarocket relaunches its VPS service!

Great news for all I'm sure. Gigarocket has just relaunched its VPS service again. With much improved specs:

1 vCore CPU
1GB Ram
150GB Transfer
25GB HDD Storage

In order to get a VPS members have to make 25 quality posts. To keep the VPS there is a requirement of 15 maintenance posts per month. Please note GigaRocket maintains a high standard of posts. We want to see our members positively engage in the community by making posts that have quality discussion. One-liner posts are considered spam, and too many of them in quick succession will lead to a ban of the forum account.

Please note that the VPSs are unmanaged. So we assume that our users are familiar with some basic Linux commands in order to manage their VPS. For those who are beginners we recommend that you sign up for our shared hosting first.

Note that since the relaunch of the VPS service is brand new, and a clean slate is given to all members who lost a VPS because of a fault, GigaRocket will also require a fresh count of posts. In other words, only quality posts that have been made from the date of the new launch will be counted for both regular members and newly registered members alike.
[-] The following 6 users Like Genesis's post:
  • DJB, Flashdealsfashion, Hazem, misharnet, Peco, Snowflake
That's great news! :)
[Image: tumblr_m8i6x0vOl01rr2zps.gif]
That's great ! Smile
This is some great news. The specs are pretty good. 

Please edit this page - https://www.gigarocket.net/free-vps.php - to include the new specs.
(01-12-2019, 06:43 PM)binil Wrote: This is some great news. The specs are pretty good. 

Please edit this page - https://www.gigarocket.net/free-vps.php - to include the new specs.
It's in process @binil. A whole new look! Cool
Great News
So that's why my unread notification count went up so high. People have been spamming threads. /s
(01-14-2019, 03:05 PM)CHT Wrote: So that's why my unread notification count went up so high. People have been spamming threads. /s

Probably more because we haven't seen you in a while. The longer you're away the greater the accumulation of those notifications. And time does fly. Tongue
Would you guys consider the conversion of GigaPoints for VPS service?
Adding on to binil's statement, Giga Points don't seem to have much use currently anyway.
(01-14-2019, 05:12 PM)binil Wrote: Would you guys consider the conversion of GigaPoints for VPS service?
We'd prefer posts for the VPS service - thanks binil.
(01-15-2019, 08:49 AM)Genesis Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 05:12 PM)binil Wrote: Would you guys consider the conversion of GigaPoints for VPS service?
We'd prefer posts for the VPS service - thanks binil. 

Its simple..
1. Make everyone's gigapoints to zero. Let everyone start from scratch.
or
2. Anyone who wish to get their VPS can donate their gigapoints and start from scratch.

After a month or two people who need a VPS will get the general idea if they can qualify or not.

This is my suggestion. Its upto the admins for the final decision. If admins and mods can manually/automatically check for quality posts easily, then no need for this. But if they are finding it difficult to do this, then please do consider using gigapoints again. 

Are we using Gigapoints for any other purpose these days?
[-] The following 1 user Likes binil's post:
  • DJB
@binil. Thank you for your suggestion. We used to use gigapoints for double everything space for shared hosting, but that was in the time when the accounts were only 1 GB disk space. You've now got five times that in 5GB. I can't imagine any free shared hosting service giving a free hosting account with 10GB. Also, our Admin have been generous to those who needed additional services if they can make a good case for it. So I don't see the need for gigapoints right now. For the VPS core services, like the monthly posts gigapoints wouldn't work in any case as we need those maintenance posts to be made in the current month. It isn't a "pay forward" system.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • DJB
Oh, i've been gone for awhile because i've been busy with daily struggle. Some stuffs goes wrong and i'm in a recovery right now. It's cool to know that you guys relaunched the VPS services! I haven't see a need for myself since i only host a personal blog here on Gigarocket but maybe i'll try this when i need it the most. 

Kudos to the devs and all who support the community, sorry for gone for awhile and i hope i can be here more often in the near future! I've been using Google Cloud for awhile now to host some of my site, and honestly i just want to put my personal sites here on Gigarocket since i know this is something like community-managed service and in that way, i can also contribute rather than just host my stuffs , pay it and leave it haha.
-Dzikri Aditya Darmawan-
Just a Basic Internet User
[ personal https://awan.my.id blog]
[running https://awan.studio business]

[-] The following 1 user Likes awan's post:
  • Genesis
i just like how the first posts are one liner.

Good job once again @gigrocket-staff team. good to see that gigarocket runs smoothly and stable.
i maybe obtain once i have a good reason and feel how the quality is.

my time of working on other post2 host community i only heard good things about gigarocket!.
go forth!.
perry is back!
please end my suffer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes perryoo11's post:
  • Genesis
I was very happy when I heard about the relaunch in another forum. I still use the shared hosting account and has checked the forum time to time. But  I notice decrease of activities after termination of last vps series. I guess now we will see more activity here and more interesting new topics. Specs are really good and as  web server enough to run several decent site Worldpress sites or lots of them with less traffic. Specs wise new service is lot better than the old one.  :)
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
Looks amazing, never seen somebody offer a free VPS with such small requirements. As a student I have been looking for a free VPS for large programming projects and other assignments. I'll certainly be using your service! Keep up the great work!
[-] The following 2 users Like Raymond's post:
  • Genesis, GigaGreg
(02-01-2019, 02:52 AM)Flashdealsfashion Wrote: This is actually incredible. I've never really seen someone offer that for free. But keep it up... everyones winning. All the users and of course you are as you continue to provide this!

Well it's not the only place but one of the 2 left. Free vps providers are a dying trade. Few years back there were so many and now all gone even some sites which we had thought never would go out of service. Here at GigaRocket you get a 1GB RAM VPS for just 15 posts per month. Even if you make 1 post per day you only have to do it 15 days. That's way too easy.

Anyway I hope new members will make an effort to do quality posts. It doesn't mean you have to write an paragraph. If you are talking about your favorite movie then don't just write "My favorite movie is this" but add more details like why do you like it and whats good and bad about the movie. You can increase the quality of your post easily this way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes xdude's post:
  • DJB
@xdude that is excellent advice to the newbie members.

Let me outline the strategy for this year.
  • Behind the scenes the team are working on a complete redevelopment of the website. We are reskinning the whole site, including the blog and forums. We're expecting a migration date around mid-march
  • The plan is to start accepting high quality guest posters to our blog cover topics that would interest the community as a whole (your welcome to join that program)
  • We are going to introduce a rewards program for loyality and referals.
  • We are in the final stages of rolling out our GDPR and right to be forgotton protocols to comply with current trends and legislation
  • Our objectives are to increase visitor engagement and authority to the Gigarocket website. If we meet these goals we have a better change of longevity and attracting revenue streams to increase our capacity

Considering we are almost 6 years old as a community, we are doing well at steady growth. This year we are going to dial-up that growth. Thanks for reading.
Please do NOT contact me via PM for support request`s, use the support forum instead, you will get a faster response.
[Image: TPoSr7d.png]

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/sitebee
@DJB
Gigarocket resilience is to be commended, no doubt about that. I'm not an insider/(in the business) but, last year, as a developer, I felt like the entire industry is suffering from a credit crunch. Even the big fat IT corp are rolling back their "free" plans or "firewalling" them by  a new "verified account" status, which means an account with a credit card associated to it (which is a deal breaker for an old-school like me.)

Two high-profile examples came to mind as I was greatly engaged with their platforms. Red Hat with their Openshift online v3 PAAS service and Google with their Gmaps APIs. For the first, I just migrated to Heroku's PAAS  and for GMaps, it took me a year of spear time to develop an alternative using tools like d3.js library and OpenStreetsMap (OSM) data (both FOOS projects.)

It feels great to (somewhat) escape the Corporate grip :-)

By the way, good luck for your plans.
IN ABSENTIA LUCIS, TENEBRAE VINCUNT
IN THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT, DARKNESS PREVAILS
[-] The following 2 users Like fouadChk's post:
  • DJB, Genesis
great news
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Martin Luther King Jr
Just discovered Giga, and i wanna say, this is great news, I know its old, but its still great news, had a question on the whole too fast posting, what is the requirement between posting per post and or topic? Would love to know so i don't have to worry about anything bad happening to my account.
(02-10-2019, 05:09 AM)Alaura Wrote: Just discovered Giga, and i wanna say, this is great news, I know its old, but its still great news, had a question on the whole too fast posting, what is the requirement between posting per post and or topic? Would love to know so i don't have to worry about anything bad happening to my account.

I have seen any sort topics or post requirement. You can do 25 topics or 25 posts as long as those quality and unique content.  If you can write quality stuff fast then do it. I don't think that's a problem either. These rules are there for stop some people try to exploit the system by posting spammy one liners or copy and paste stuff from other places. Also take your time. You don't need to rush at it. :)
Eager to start using my VPS.
I get more ideas than I have time and skill to setup. Lol.
I’m probably not alone on that.

Thanks for creating a quality site and giving back to the community with free VPS and hosting.