Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kloxo MR v7
Anyone here use Kloxo MR 7.x or even 6.5x ? Few days ago I tried to install it and got it install without a problem. But Configuring it properly is another matter. First I got it configured and as all tutorials say but once I uploaded a wordpress site I found it shows just a white blank page.

Now after several days and installing it in 2 different vps to test I'm still having the same problem.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
Verify that your PHP is set up correctly.

I have used KloxoMR for years and feel it is an awesome branch off the ole Kloxo.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
A bit late reply but anyway I have moved from KloxoMR to VirtualMin. I really did love KloxoMR but I started having problems and couldn't find solutions even after posting in their support forum. It's developer is very active in support forum which is a great thing but when only one person do all development there is always things which can go wrong.
Really happy to see you visiting us xdude.  Missed your quality posts and sharing your VPS experiences.  Thanks for blessing us with your presence.  Drinks

About VirtualMin.  What would you say would be the minimum specs one should have for a VPS to run VirtualMin comfortably?  I tried VirtualMin on 512MB RAM, but found it dragging a lot.  Would 1GB be comfortable or would one need even more than than 1GB?
(06-30-2016, 04:01 AM)xdude Wrote: A bit late reply but anyway I have moved from KloxoMR to VirtualMin. I really did love KloxoMR but I started having problems and couldn't find solutions even after posting in their support forum. It's developer is very active in support forum which is a great thing but when only one person do all development there is always things which can go wrong.

I have noticed the very same about the forums. Seems one thing would stop working, would get it back up and going and then something else would crash. I ended up going with Sentora. Because there really is not an antispam service with Sentora, I installed Xeams with ClamAV. Works a ton!. As far as security, This POS (peice of $h!t) server is a really an old (Dell) AMD Athlon 5400+ 5 gigs of ram and 750 gig harddrive with CentOS7 x64. It is hosted behind my works 100/100 fiber. It sits right next to me and is behind a SonicWall. I know that Sentora may have issues, however It is what I like and what works really well for me.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
@Genesis

I'm back again after a long time. This time I will try to stick around. Sometimes it's really hard when you caught up with all the work.

About VirtualMin. You can run it with 512MB RAM without a problem I have to identical VPS with same specs and I run VirtualMin in both. One as production VPS and other as test platform before implimenting thing to prodcution server.

I have several Wordpress sites there and usual RAM usage is about 130MB. When you configure VirtualMin it ask how much RAM you have and let you balance things between RAM and CPU. I mean if you have less than 1GB RAM then you get options to configure the server like taking bit more from CPU so RAM be pushed too much. But if your sever has 2GB -2GB Ram then it will take more RAM for mysql and also use activate more spam filters for mail etc, which otherwise would take more CPU.

You can run VirtualMin in 512MB VPS without a problem and you can do bit of tweaking so it would use less RAM. I don't have a 512MB VPS to test these right now or I would have given you more details. Maybe I should request the a vps again and start testing. )

Another cool thing about Ubuntu+VirtualMin combo is  it keeps your system all updated and through VirtualMin panel you can do all updates with few clicks. It always shows you if OS or Module updates avaliable.
Great to see you back Xdude. Thanks for the updates on VirtualMin. Brilliant post as per your usual high standard. Drinks
@Genesis

Thanks. Glad to be back. This new forum theme looks great. Neat and professional. :)

@dmull

I guess you got a good internet connection with a static IP. I can't say same about what I have. Plus there are other probelms like electricity. So I have started using VPS for everything, for hosting sites and also to do other things like taking backups, using ftp etc. I have heard too many bad things about Sentora but I think most are from those who hated zPanel. But I want to give another try at Kloxo-MR. Not for return back to it but just to see what's new there.
to be honest my feeling about these control panels is they are often more trouble than they're worth. 

1.) the introduce unnecessary complexity to an already relatively complex task (administrating a webserver)

1.1) this added layer of complexity does not help if you don't have a strong knowledge of how to administrate a webserver, while the panels are often marketed as making administration easier, they do in fact require you to learn a different method of administration, and inevitably you will still need to be able to make effective use of a terminal for certain tasks.

1.2) if the software fails in some way or crashes, you're now stuck with a terminal which you may have been consciously avoiding by using virtualmin or other cpanel... Sink or swim time!

2.) big gigantic attack vector, anyone who gains access to your virtualmin or similar cp can start running commands over sshd if you've left the default configuration.

3.) I question how safe it is to be using a publically accessible panel like this... I mean I know they must exist for a reason, but somehow I feel safer with ssh.

You really have to consider what is the point of using a panel when you can actually get a LEMP/LAMP stack up and running in about ten minutes via ssh..!
(03-16-2017, 08:37 PM)mjfleming Wrote: to be honest my feeling about these control panels is they are often more trouble than they're worth. 
I guess you're talking about free panels, and not cpanel of course.

I don't think all of the panels are equal though, one needs to do one's home work, and the good ones of today can easily turn into a failed CP of tomorrow. I've gone into VestaCP quite a big way last year, but for my really good Websites, I still prefer cPanel hosting. However, I'm almost certain if I had more time on my hands that I'd be able to use VestaCP as I'm using cPanel. It has some promise.

For most of the other panels, there are some that are OKísh and others one should stay away with, but fortunately there are so many reviews available out there, if one Googled them thoroughly and maybe experimented a little by playing with the CPs, one very soon is able to figure out which ones one should stay away from.