Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSH clients

What do you use to connect to SSH?

I am using Gigarank's free VPS and for some reason Virtualizor's Java-based SSH console does not respond so I was forced to find something else. First it was PuTTy, being probably the most popular free client for Windows out there. Pretty good, but the need for re-entering password each time drove me nuts.

Then came MobaXterm, which is a far more complicated application with numerous additional protocols to use, graphic SFTP client and a bunch of other additional functions. I have used it for a session or two but in the end, it was too overpacked with features, menus and buttons that I was not going to use any time soon, so I uninstalled it.

Eventually, I have found FireSSH, a SSH client that is an addon for Firefox. Functionality is comparable to PuTTy, but several pretty useful features are present. First of all, remembering password is great (although probably less secure) and what is no less useful in some scenarios, when one enters new session, pressing up-arrow (to show previous used commands) allows to browse through commands used in the previous sessions. As I've said, that's useful only in some scenarios.

So, what is your choice? Maybe something for Linux distros?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gregoric's post:
  • Foxkung101
I used all three from PuTTy which are PuTTy, PuTTYgen and Pageant. I prefer to use SFTP than FTP. It's not very easy if you have a cPanel account.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
i use bitvise. its included sftp, tunnel and console
ytdl.xyz youtube downloader
[-] The following 1 user Likes ogah's post:
  • peopleinside
I use PuTTy, Linux Terminal and JuiceSSH(JuiceSSH is mobile SSH client) to connect to my servers.
There is also ConnectBot.
putty
(04-22-2015, 05:46 PM)Gregoric Wrote: What do you use to connect to SSH?

I am using Gigarank's free VPS and for some reason Virtualizor's Java-based SSH console does not respond so I was forced to find something else. First it was PuTTy, being probably the most popular free client for Windows out there. Pretty good, but the need for re-entering password each time drove me nuts.

Then came MobaXterm, which is a far more complicated application with numerous additional protocols to use, graphic SFTP client and a bunch of other additional functions. I have used it for a session or two but in the end, it was too overpacked with features, menus and buttons that I was not going to use any time soon, so I uninstalled it.

Eventually, I have found FireSSH, a SSH client that is an addon for Firefox. Functionality is comparable to PuTTy, but several pretty useful features are present. First of all, remembering password is great (although probably less secure) and what is no less useful in some scenarios, when one enters new session, pressing up-arrow (to show previous used commands) allows to browse through commands used in the previous sessions. As I've said, that's useful only in some scenarios.

So, what is your choice? Maybe something for Linux distros?
I found the same problem with Virtualizor's Java-based SSH console. My computer system couldn't work with it. I thought it was just my computer but looks as though it is a universal problem then.

Un4saken then pointed me in the direction of PuTTy and I haven't looked elsewhere after that. I love PuTTy. Particularly the simplicity of its use. Cool

I was unaware of the FireSSH - heard about it at another Forum, but never tried it. Heard good reports about it however.
I use bitvise, it has a nice interface.
A Cup of Coffee. Drinks
I've seen bitvise before, but I haven't tried it yet. I've been using putty forever. There's a lot of things I still use that have to be phased out though. It's hard to justify switching when all I use it for is to grab a command line on a remote linux box though. It does that just fine...
I am using teraterm. It is very popular in Japan , and I like it because very stable.

Teraterm English Page
I never really found any use for a GUI based SSH client.
For Linux and Mac, I just use the built in "ssh username@ip_address" command and I find that it works fine. It also keeps me from forgetting my server IP address.
For Windows, I have only used PuTTy and will continue using it.
Putty, terminal are the ones I Use,but I rarely SSH into a server any more.
I saw somewhere that there are countries where SSH is illegal due to encryption laws, so PuTTy has a version called PuTTytel that only has the telnet functionality.

Seems a little crazy - like outlawing door locks in case the government wants to search your house ... I've seen a lot of people from all over the place here, anybody here in a no-encryption zone?
Sometime I used XShell to connect ssh proxy for internet browser. Its also support alot features. Multi ssh, port forward, ssh command and etc.
HOT MUSIC VIDEO | Video Music Knowledgebase
For the vps I use filezilla sftp option and putty for ssh connection, both of them work fine.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes GigaGreg's post:
  • smalpierre
I ve tryed putty but now I rather use chorme extension "secure shell".

It looks very snappy and saves me switching tabs on chrome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes johnnydays's post:
  • T.Kawabata
chrome secure shell sounds good! I didn't know it. I'll try it. Thank you for your information.
MobaXterm is an allrounder - i use it mainly for ssh and vnc
i usually use putty on windows and connectbox on android
i used Putty and Terminator, most user friendly.
I use putty on my android phone as well as on the windows. On mac I use terminal which I find more user friendly which makes it better for some reason for myself.

Everyone uses what ever suits them best and that's good because there are different programs for everyone.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]