Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

There is an opinion that linux-like systems are better for web development why?

There is an opinion that linux-like systems are better for web development why? 
I personally use windows 10 with the ubuntu subsystem and am very pleased with who thinks about this?
I'd like to know this too. For front-end web development, Windows/Mac is more than workable. Back-end web development however, I can see that favoring a UNIX like system a little more, since it's all about running and maintaining databases and scripts. Usually that gets deployed to a Linux box. So I'm guessing doing back-end development on a Linux machine gets you used to working with that enviroment. Though I got no problems working with PHP and NodeJS on my Windows machine.
My guess:

Linux servers like Ubuntu Server Edition or Debian without a GUI are better as servers because they use less resources than Windows. Also, they can be very basic and basic is good when it comes to maintenance and security. The thinking is, the less softwareyou have on your web facing server, the less attack surface you present to an attacker via unpatched code.

Good luck and stay safe.