Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is your understanding of what a VPS is? Why a VPS?

Why do you want a VPS? What is your understanding of what a VPS is? For example, why don't you want a shared hosting account instead, why a VPS?
I want a VPS for making a gameserver. I really don't recommend port forwarding yourself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AntteS's post:
  • agentsky
(09-26-2016, 05:58 PM)AntteS Wrote: I want a VPS for making a gameserver. I really don't recommend port forwarding yourself.
If you are posting for a VPS Gameserver then Gigarank is not the place for you. We don't provide VPSs for game servers. Suggest you read our TOS and also our Guidelines for Quality Posts in the VPS section of our Forum.
I would build a tunnel to my servers cause my isp doensn't allow port forwarding
I want a VPS for both a test environment and to play around with as I learn. I'm experienced with web hosting and development I want to take it to the next level with VPS. I also want to have a place to do dev stuff off my computer.
Well, I was looking for VPS hosting because most normal shared free hosts do not support Image Magick.
The one that I tried before (won't name it as it's disrespectful) failed on their services and weren't good in general.
(I believe I briefly posted about it in my intro thread).

My understanding on VPS is little, though tutorials are what gets me by with most of life, why not this too?
Plus, from what I do know is that VPS' have way more customizability than shared.
(You're not stuck with a cPanel that is limited to what you can install and use).
So with a VPS I could download Imagick, PHP, etc... and set it all up that way and not worry about the host not supporting it.

Though I found out that Gigaranks shared hosting has Image magick support so I jumped to that.
I don't *need* a VPS for my website, and it's slight overkill and probably a lot of hassle.
So finding a Shared host which supports what I need is much better. :)
Hi all, I have started looking into using VPS although I cannot claim to know too much about it yet. What got me started was a post from the developers of a Linux OS I use (Q4OS) about using VPS so I started looking to see if I could find a free provider to do some testing. I don't know if any users here have tried using this OS and if you wanted to read the post it is in the Tips and Tutorials section of the forum there titled Q4OS Desktop setup on a VPS... sorry I cannot post a link here to it. And if anyone has any suggestions regarding it I would love to hear them.
I already have a web-host for my own small site which maintains a steady trickle of traffic, although when I am developing the site or other php scripts I cannot have the same setup on my home system as the server maintains, so I was thinking a VPS would serve my purpose better as I can maintain the same setup on my localhost for main dev work as my VPS would be using. This has the benefit of being able to fully test my code before uploading to my server and then I know it will work as I would expect.
(11-18-2016, 07:37 PM)Dai_trying Wrote: Hi all, I have started looking into using VPS although I cannot claim to know too much about it yet. What got me started was a post from the developers of a Linux OS I use (Q4OS) about using VPS so I started looking to see if I could find a free provider to do some testing. I don't know if any users here have tried using this OS and if you wanted to read the post it is in the Tips and Tutorials section of the forum there titled Q4OS Desktop setup on a VPS... sorry I cannot post a link here to it. And if anyone has any suggestions regarding it I would love to hear them.
I already have a web-host for my own small site which maintains a steady trickle of traffic, although when I am developing the site or other php scripts I cannot have the same setup on my home system as the server maintains, so I was thinking a VPS would serve my purpose better as I can maintain the same setup on my localhost for main dev work as my VPS would be using. This has the benefit of being able to fully test my code before uploading to my server and then I know it will work as I would expect.

We can try to install Q4OS for your once you are eligible for a free VPS. Keep posting! :)
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests - Use Support Section.
Don't forget to read TOS.
Never argue with idiots.
First, they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with their experience!
Thanks, I will try, I do tend to post quite frequently over on Q4OS and have a few small apps written in python that I made available to the community so my post count is quite high as I update the scripts.
I will probably set-up a VPS on a spare machine at home for testing, that way I can be up and running as soon as I am eligable (resources permitting).
Hi,
Is it really working after 25 posts, I need a server for demo and develop my application, i'm a student.
If you read the TOS and the posted "readme" type posts you will see that you need to first post 10 Quality posts to get  free hosting and then either 15 more (or 25 more, it's not too clear) to get a free vps service (subject to availability), and during the time you use the hosting it will give the service hosts a chance to see that you understand the basics and are capable of using the service within the TOS.
(11-18-2016, 10:24 PM)Dai_trying Wrote: If you read the TOS and the posted "readme" type posts you will see that you need to first post 10 Quality posts to get  free hosting and then either 15 more (or 25 more, it's not too clear) to get a free vps service (subject to availability), and during the time you use the hosting it will give the service hosts a chance to see that you understand the basics and are capable of using the service within the TOS.
You do need 10 quality posts for a free hosting account, but a free hosting account is no longer a prerequisite for a VPS. You can make 25 quality posts and apply for a VPS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • gpattabhi
My apologies, I guess I was reading some old posts. And that is good news for me as I already have my site hosted and have been trying to find something worthy of putting on a new site which would have become redundant if I gained a VPS anyhow... Smile
I want a VPS so that a bot that I wrote can stay connected to the internet at all times.  Don't worry; it's a helpful bot, not a spambot :)
I already have one paid VPS but I want another one for testing purposes.
What is your understanding of what a VPS is?
a Very Pretty System

Why a VPS?
So i can see my proccessors run at 100% constantly  for once in my life on my all my servers
shared resources when other things are not busy
secure enviroment not to clash software types

Normality is a perseption based on someone else's jaded opinion.
VPS is independence for sure, but for me there is plenty of quality free shared cpanel hosting available on the Internet that is secure as well. One just needs to look for it. cPanel for me means added functionality with what I can't have in a VPS due to lack of knowledge. For example with cPanel, it's very easy to install a WordPress site particularly if it has Softaculous added. For a VPS for me the easiest is to install WordPress is through the command line. For someone who comes from Windows, the command line is out of one's grasp for a while. Most secure VPS would be one that works with command line only. Cheap free panels may create security holes. However for those who come from Windows, and is used to cPanel hosting, we naturally gravitate to free panels. To get the real security benefit from a VPS is to open up as little as possible of it for others to get access to or to have a panel like cPanel that is very expensive, but provides more security than someone who uses a VPS with little knowledge and risky free panels. Using keys to access VPS without the root login and password adds more security. Bottom line, knowledge is king with VPS. It can only be as good and secure as one's knowledge and experience of how to use it. Which makes shared hosting with cpanel under good admin management such as we find at Gigarank a very good option for someone who isn't interested or doesn't have the time to learn all of what is needed to make a VPS a good and safe server to use.
I am trying to set up a streaming server in Linux to live stream events at the School I work. Would also be using it to host quizzes, assignments and question banks, forums for students and so on. The streaming server definitely requires a VPS.
a VPS (with KVM virtualization) is almost like a container with its own dedicated resources, you can run a VPN / proxy server on it, as well as unlimited (well, almost) software installation choices.
I Shared Hosting is like a multifamiliar building. We all share the server resources (IP, Memory, Processor, etc) and for that reason, we should be responsable .

In the other hand, a VPS is like a condo... you are not the owner but have to manage everything inside your spot...but it comes with a huge prize: liberty.