Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is your preference - Photoshop or GIMP?

Photoshop is definitely a better program in my opinion. And I completely understand why it's expensive, software developers don't freely improve programs... GIMP is a decent alternative though, but I think Krita is a great new alternative as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MotherOfDragons's post:
  • Genesis
i have used Photoshop CS6 and am not so familiar with Gimp.
I like neither, rooting for paint.net. While paint.net is simple, you can install many mods for pretty much any feature you'd like. I don't even mod it because its all I need to satisfy my photo editing needs. Photoshop is good because of how natively feature-rich it is, but so is Gimp. Of course the paid product is going to be higher quality, but Gimp is a great alternative and in my opinion better than Paint.net. I just don't learn how to use Gimp because I don't need to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SeductiveWalrus's post:
  • Genesis
I've used both - I prefer Photoshop mainly because i know it better, Each have some of the same features just done in different ways.
hello guys,

yes GIMP is cool because its free, its open source, its fast, does not need a lot a space. Easy and fast.
But professionals use Adobe Photoshop because it can do so many stuff that GIMP can't . It's simply more powerfull and have a full audience of photographers and designer behind it.
Around me designers told me that GIMP is crap when it comes to do real stuff and they didn't like the user interface and the shortcuts where lame aparently !

anyway that's my share folks !

thanks for reading
I use Photoshop occasionally, so it won´t make Sense to me, to get deeper into Gimp. But when I used Gimp ages ago, it was pretty weak in every task compared to Photoshop, but on the Things it could it was an easy task.

Photoshop can be pretty tricky and some things aren´t that logic to me, but as always, it´s just a manner of experience. The more you work with it, the more you get into it and in the End Photoshop can do all the Tricks you´ll ever need.
I use Photoshop occasionally, so it won´t make Sense to me, to get deeper into Gimp. But when I used Gimp ages ago, it was pretty weak in every task compared to Photoshop, but on the Things it could i...
GIMP 2.10 !! But I do use AzPainter or MyPaint, and Krita for just drawing and painting. GIMP is really good for editing.
It really depends on what I need to do. If I need to do some simple stuff that mspaint can't do (*cough* transparency), I use gimp/paintdotnet. However if I need to do something more advanced which can be easily done in photoshop, then I use photoshop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kiriot22's post:
  • Genesis
Obviously Photoshop is best.
(11-26-2018, 02:20 PM)nawaz1122 Wrote: Obviously Photoshop is best.

Why's that? Can you elaborate on your answer?

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes GigaGreg's post:
  • Genesis
I prefer photoshop but my crappy laptop wont run it so i installed gimp but it confuses me i cant do half the stuff i could in photoshop  Undecided
GIMP is open-source and that's a huge advantage because everyone can write some plugins. Of course Photoshop is good, but for home usage GIMP is the way to go, because it's free and you can add features with plugins.
GIMP is hard to learn, but can do nearly everything!
It depends more on experience here, I just can’t switch to GIMP because of this.
I am almost sure that he has the same functions as in Photoshop, but this is already a matter of skill, it’s quite difficult to master a new program, discarding the one I studied on and already know how to work
However, I do not support the Adobe policy, especially in terms of their subscription payment model.
[Image: NZSllY1.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VIOTISI's post:
  • Genesis
I find both GIMP & Photoshop are both very feature rich, with many users only scratching the surface of what they are capable of. I fave acccess to both and use the one I’m most familiar with for a given task. 

My go-to, however, is Paint.net - lots of plugins but able to do most tasks quickly with a small memory footprint.
I like GIMP and there's loads of help on how to do things in it. I also use Inkscape for vectors coz I'm reeeeeeally cheap! It's amazing how much stuff people give away. True internet heroes!
I used to use Corel Draw and Paint. They were easy to get into too.
I use Photoshop for many years, and I remember Adobe Image Ready was easy app but no longer. Sometimes I use CorelDraw too
I use Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop, but for basic image adjustment I use XNView, it has the best batch processing tools, if you're looking to adjust hundreds/thousand images in a matter of seconds XNView can do the job and it's totally free!
I've used both. However, since I use GIMP I've never missed a feature. So why pay for a software I don't need? However, I'm not a professional designer. Perhaps my answer would have been different otherwise. Or perhaps not.
I personally use GIMP and i very much recommend it. It has all the functionalities of photoshop, but its free and open-source. I Use gimp to make texturess for my game perfectly fine, so there really is no point paying
(06-12-2013, 12:52 PM)Genesis Wrote: I love GIMP. Probably because I'm lazy and not a graphic artist and I also like to support Open Source Software. Everything in GIMP is simple. Photoshop is a bit more complicated, and it would require plenty of energy for me to learn all of the features. I'm not as much into the advanced part of graphics to the extent that I would be able to justify investing in Photoshop.

What sold me on GIMP is that it is free. I can create buttons for interfaces and basic things like that. It's about all I need. Runs on Linux and won't crash my computer.
I have used both in the past, I find that Photoshop has alot more in terms of functions and elements but I found the learning curve steep to learn all of them. Gimp on the other hand hand has quite an intuitive interface and lots of tutorials online about basic setup and use.

Gimp is also free, so it's my choice. I've used it for static image manipulation, creating new designs and also creating GIFs/animation.

Thumbs up from me for both but my preference is Gimp.
I use photoshop for most of my photo editing or digital sketching needs. It has great support for Wacom tablets and it is apart of the Creative Cloud subscription I already pay for.
paint dot net, inkscape, imagemagic (in that order), often combined with FFMPEG.

Those tools are very convenient, slim and fast. they are also free and open source (I use older paint dot net).

most of them are 'script-able' so you can create a batch file with all of your repeating tasks, and just drag and drop a media file over.
I love to work with Photoshop and the possibilities that the program itself possesses. I know about the alternatives, but once you begin to work with Photoshop, you see it has endless ways to perform the tasks you want. The only negative part I can say is that it's not very cheap... Also tons of tutorials to be found for Photoshop tasks
(10-14-2020, 12:42 PM)tdbke Wrote: I love to work with Photoshop and the possibilities that the program itself possesses. I know about the alternatives, but once you begin to work with Photoshop, you see it has endless ways to perform the tasks you want. The only negative part I can say is that it's not very cheap... Also tons of tutorials to be found for Photoshop tasks

I've been interested in Photoshop myself and can see how good it is, but to be honest, the time I purchased one of those combo Photoshop and some other Adobe packages together for an affordable price, my computer memory couldn't deal with how heavy the software was. This was some time ago. And then a couple of years ago when I was ready again to check it out, with a new computer and much more resources, Adobe had every one on a month or year rate, to make lots of money. So that didn't happen either. I wasn't going to subscribe on any plan with Adobe.

Looks like one requires heavy resources for Photoshop, and combining it with other Adobe packages may not have been such a good idea. But that's the reason why I'm on Gimp. I'd have been prepared to pay something for Photoshop, but it was too much. Also most of all it was too heavy for my computer system and one probably would have needed a decent graphics card too if one was serious about creating or manipulating art with Photoshop.

GIMP is super light. For someone however who deals with loads of graphics, if they are involved in developing and creating games, I'd imagine Photoshop would be the only really serious graphics package to consider. I only use it for very light graphics manipulation, and I can't remember when last I've actually used GIMP. Most software these days come with graphics related tools, like WordPress for example, or MS Word. It's only when it gets to logos that I use Gimp, or you do get online software Websites, where they help you to create logos. Not sure how safe they are, but I do take calculated risks at times. Haven't taken one in a long while though.

Yeah, the cost of Photoshop isn't something to write home about. From my point of view it's too expensive, especially when you're not going to use it for a professional way. Ain't so keen for those monthly subscriptions either, they show low cost a month, but counting them up... It's really expensive.

I got luck that my computer itself, even though it's quite some years old, still is strong enough to handle Photoshop. Especially got a lot faster since I placed in a SSD drive instead of the classic drive it held. Making this computer goes again for some years...

Even though I'm quite a Photoshop fan, I should give Gimp a try & see if it's enough to fulfill my needs. Perhaps it surprises me and converts me to a Gimp user instead of Photoshop user :')
[-] The following 1 user Likes tdbke's post:
  • Genesis