Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do you solve your tech problems?

Google and common sense are the best friends for solving technical problems.
Also owner forums might be useful, as well, as manuals.
I just keep trouble shooting till it works. If that doesn't work, I will research for days.
For me it depends on the tech problem, if it is concerning
1. Software ---> have a look at the source code (if available) and try to understand what the software is supposed to work and what I'm doing wrong
2. Hardware from a known manufacturer ---> look at the manufacturers homepage or write to their support
3. Hardware from ebay/china ---> Google, than ask skilled friends Smile
I usually start with turning the device on and off first. I'd say in almost 99% of my issues that seems to solve it. Tongue

For the rest I Google the problem.
All hail to Google  Good
convct
Diablo 
[Image: userbar.png]
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
(06-12-2013, 01:07 PM)Genesis Wrote: When I have a tech problem I usually Google it, and 9 out of 10 times I'll find the answer in a discussion Forum. I must say Tom's Hardware has come up frequently with some good solutions.

Any other resources that you use when you have a tech problem?

Hello!

I agree that one can find most solutions to hardware problems in Tom. In the past I had to change the DVD-RW driver of a laptop (Toshiba), instead of spending $ 270 USD and after reading a complete guide (and with images) on how to change the unit with a small "adjustment" in the connections, I only spent $ 60 USD on buying a new unit from another brand (Pioneer) and a very small copper cable and that's it! The drive still working after 10 years.

StackOverflow is another interesting site, but it stands out in the programming of things that other areas.

In Latin America, there is an interesting site: yoreparo.com. Sometimes you find detailed instructions in Spanish from experts in electronics and other areas.

Best regards!
i am very fascinating about reverse engineering, also if you have some technical knowledge than you can easily got idea where system has gone wrong by google about its consenquences and finally if possible then do reverse engineering on it just by opening its parts and check it manually by attaching to other system, and 90 percentage fualt solve by replacing faulty part, other needs calibration and troubleshoot from soft part also
I try and fail.
I google.
I have googled for free tutorials. I have googled the error code.
Ask friends.
There are many ways to get solutions. Write down your answer once you find it so you don’t have to search again in the future.
It was most enjoyable reading the many ways each of you approached solving a technical problem.
Having been around computer for more years than I am willing to share I have often shared with my IT students the following solution which fixes most hardware and or software problems.

1) Turn it Off, (not half off or kinda off but totally and complete off) at this point it is OK to double check. With experience this will come second nature.
2) Go have a beverage, Coffee, Coke, Pepsi are all fine as long as it has some caffeine in it. I discourage the use of Redbull or Mother both can create a undeserved sense of self importance which can come back and bite you on the ass down the track. 

3) Take your time, This reminds everyone including the problem being solved who is in charge. If you rush and fix the problem quickly, well it musten't have been very  complicate after all.

4) Once you are refreshed and have confirmed that no one has intervened while you were having your beverage. Turn this device back on. Once again make sure it is fully turned on, not kinda on.

You will be surprised how often this procedure has a positive outcome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes buzzawak's post:
  • Genesis
@buzzawak I'd add right at the beginning and if you're able to do so (before turning the computer off). First to get rid of all of the cookies and then to flush the DNS twice:

For Windows 7: cmd get to c: prompt with "cd .." and then: ipconfig /flushdns Do this twice. It reduces browser errors.
Depending on the issue I have depends on the way I solve it.
For hardware issues I will generally Google the issue first to see if it is a common issue or if there is a driver/firmware update. If this fails I will try to remove the troublesome hardware and check in another machine to see if the hardware itself has failed.
For software issues I will Google the error code and use forums or the software developers own forums to find fixes or workarounds. As a last resort I will make sure I have backed up all important documents to an external drive and then depending on the severity of the software issue, I will either refresh or clean install my OS. The OS depends on whether it is my windows pc or linux laptop that is having issues.
What will we do without Google????
(02-17-2019, 04:44 PM)binil Wrote: What will we do without Google????
We'd probably get something better?
[-] The following 2 users Like Genesis's post:
  • binil, jw7103
(02-18-2019, 04:05 AM)Genesis Wrote:
(02-17-2019, 04:44 PM)binil Wrote: What will we do without Google????
We'd probably get something better? 

Most likely we would have something (better or not I am not sure). I am sure there are good things already out there - we don't usually use them that much like
https://duckduckgo.com - for people who care about privacy
https://www.wolframalpha.com/ - for people who are into studies
Googling is a good start.
Stack Overflow tends to have good discussions.
Tutorials usually help me understand ideas better.

Ryan Bates had a good one for Ruby on Rails, but it’s a bit outdated now.
If Google can't help anymore, then trial and error until it works... even if it takes days.

Unfortunately, Google often does not find what you are looking for anymore. I'm on a few German-language forums, which usually helps a lot better than torturing yourself through wrong search results for hours.

By the way:
Hi, I'm the new one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes devel's post:
  • Genesis
(07-21-2019, 12:06 PM)devel Wrote: If Google can't help anymore, then trial and error until it works... even if it takes days.

Unfortunately, Google often does not find what you are looking for anymore. I'm on a few German-language forums, which usually helps a lot better than torturing yourself through wrong search results for hours.

By the way:
Hi, I'm the new one.
I go through the same frustration with search results sometimes. Google used to be effortless at one stage, but not sure what it is, lately there is so much rubbish links in the search results that are high up in the list. Real frustrating, and then you're right, one finds preferred discussion tech groups.
Mostly Google and Youtube.
Sometimes documentation on specific websites helps (but i first google it Tongue )
Troubleshooting steps :

1. Google the problems
2. Search the solutions on forum
3. Call the maintenance department
From my side in major cases I am copying the message with error and search using this key expression. In 90% this is usable case.

But when I do not found anything it means this is very rare problem or you use unique software. The best way to ask about this on the forums or other place with community of your software
I typically use Google when I hit an issue, but I’ve found out about SteamWorks about a year ago and they have a wealth of information from Windows Servers and System Center to help with PHP and other development languages.