Poll: Is rooting really worth it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Absolutely, I could not use Android without root privileges!
52.63%
52.63%
Kind of meh. I can live without.
47.37%
47.37%
Total
19 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is rooting your Android device really worth it?

Kind of a stupid question to ask on a tech-oriented forum but I want to know from you: is rooting your device really that great of an option?

Okay, it makes sense to desire full administrative privileges over a device you own, but you may really damage your phone in the process if you're not careful.
Plus, the custom ROMs I have tried just added a bunch of features I didn't really need while rendering the device more unstable.
Another thing, rooting a device will most likely void your warranty, not ideal if you paid a lot of money for your phone.

Weighing the pros against the cons, I simply didn't feel like it was worth it.
What are your experiences with it?
Did it work?
Was it good?
Did you have to throw your phone in the bin afterwards?
for me, that is a tricky question.. It all depends what you want to do with it.
For the most commons users you will not need to root. but for "the other of the dark side" (joking...) it is usually the first thing that we do. Because we don't like the garbage they normaly have instaled.
About the waranty, yes it is true, if you root or change the ROM, you lose the warranty. but there is ways to conturn that problem, by flushing with official ROM.

I used custom rom, for my old phone, but now I do not, because I have update from the provider.
Dependig of your cellphone can be a good choise to use a custom ROM.
I never have a brick, because I don't use unstable ROMs.
I recomend, if you have some informatic knowledge.
[-] The following 3 users Like ferreira's post:
  • c0nvct, Jr32767, lavid
If you wish to make a backup of the current "state" of your phone, rooting is a must. This is because of the lack of manufacturer tools to do the task.
Besides that, you root for other reasons like using a ROM, and more.

Now on my experiences, I would say that it has been pretty smooth sailing rooting 2 phones from what I can remember. The first one is a Samsung Galaxy S2, the other a HTC One E8.
In both cases, the root works well, with no issues. In fact, I used CynogenMod on the S2 when it became slow, and that gives it a new lease of life.
Nothing to say here except one word, good.
No. Never had, never will. Unless you're with some obscure model that the rooting community doesn't like, there's hardly a chance you'll have to do that.

Currently, I'm holding off on rooting, but would do it if possible(lack of backups).
[-] The following 1 user Likes CHT's post:
  • Jr32767
(08-02-2017, 09:24 AM)ferreira Wrote: for me, that is a tricky question.. It all depends what you want to do with it.
For the most commons users you will not need to root. but for "the other of the dark side" (joking...) it is usually the first thing that we do. Because we don't like the garbage they normaly have instaled.
About the waranty, yes it is true, if you root or change the ROM, you lose the warranty. but there is ways to conturn that problem, by flushing with official ROM.

I used custom rom, for my old phone, but now I do not, because I have update from the provider.
Dependig of your cellphone can be a good choise to use a custom ROM.
I never have a brick, because I don't use unstable ROMs.
I recomend, if you have some informatic knowledge.

I agree that the common end user won't absolutely benefit from rooting,  but on the other hand, it is a good point that with a rooted device you can uninstall the absolutely useless software that comes with the phone, even if you are not advanced.

My problem with rooting is that people tend to overestimate their abilities of being able to make a commercial product better than it is through "added features" that you are probably going to use once in a lifetime. But it can be fun, sure thing.
I've been wondering the same thing myself, particularly since I have a phone and tablet which have stopped receiving updates. My main reasons would be to be able to use the apps called "Titanium Backup" & "CF Lumen", but reading the reviews for both apps, a few people with my phone model said they both soft bricked their phone. That doesn't sound good, and I wonder if it's worth the risk in the end.

Also, I wonder if it would be worth it for me to install custom roms just to get android updates. I heard that they disabled moving apps to a sd card in Android 6 (Marshmallow). That would be a huge problem for me as my devices only come with 16GB,which sounds like a lot at first, but about half of that is used up by TouchWiz (Samsung's version of Android), so I've moved a lot of apps to my sd card.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
If you lose your warranty, you can do it. If you root your phone while having your warranty, you lose it and you can't send your phone back if it breaks.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
well it's quite not true. The basic of rooting is to give you the : tech level access. So from there, you can do a full backup, erase some pre-installed app. And after, if anything happen, it's quite easy: you do a restoration and that will also remove the root you had made. So it will be very transparent for the waranty... and still keep it valid.

hope that help. But, having full access, if you are too quick to erased something, you may having hard time to re configured after. Have many backup !
Well, It depends if you're a mobile application developer then it's kind of a thing that you need to do sometimes and if you are a normal user I suggest not to root your device as it's violets your warranty terms. Also the application which requires root permission you can not guarantee that those are healthy application for your device. Most of the time the developer of that application can access the data on your phone like credit card info bank details and so on. So my suggestion would be if you don't know what you're doing with your device then don't do it.
Business Websites
Shop - https://biobeo.com | Hosting Panel - https://biobeo.net | Domain Panel - https://biobeo.org

My online portfolio
https://yusha.me

Made with
in Canada
Its depends on what you want to do

If you're an average user, you don'tt need to do that. But if you enjoy doing it (simply for modding for example) or have needs, then the risk is worth taking
Not really, but i root my phone only to get access to passwords like ( AndroDumper ) and sometimes to customize my phone theme
(08-02-2017, 06:42 PM)GigaGreg Wrote: If you lose your warranty, you can do it. If you root your phone while having your warranty, you lose it and you can't send your phone back if it breaks.

This depends of the carrier and cellphone..
I have flashed my with different ROMS, but when I send it to warranty I make sure they only see the last version of there ROM ;)

This only work if your cellphone have ROM updates, if not, you will lose warranty...

Before buy, it's important to check if the cellphone/smartphone :) have ROM updates ;)
If it has, I recommend to buy ;)
I use root for acces all file on my phone and force unistall app
It truly depends on your needs. If you are a mobile application developer then I guess you must need it. But if you are a normal user I recommend not rooting your device as it's violets your phone's warranty.
Business Websites
Shop - https://biobeo.com | Hosting Panel - https://biobeo.net | Domain Panel - https://biobeo.org

My online portfolio
https://yusha.me

Made with
in Canada
I used to root everything, why? Same old, same old.... Because I can. Is it worth it? Depends. If you're a developer then obviously it's vital. If you wanna run certain tools from your device, like some network tools like dSploit mostly for learning  but sometimes for geeky fun (if you're going to run these tools, don't be a tit, use them to learn and improve yourself, and skills.)

Check out definitions of 'hacker' cause it don't mean black hat.
https://github.com/chrisk44/Hijacker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSploit

Now though? Need reliable OS more than neat features.
convct
Diablo 
[Image: userbar.png]
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
In my opinion rooting isn't as necessary as it used to be. Now you still have the main benefits eg Removing crappy bloatware, improving battery life and just having that full access to backup as you please but nowadays phones come with battery saving options, backup options and there are apps out there that can disable bloatware (depending on what version you're on) so phones nowadays can work perfectly well without the need of rooting

That being said, if you want full access to your phone, or to install custom roms, root is the way to go but unlike apple who restrict customization on their devices, android do keep the end user in mind thus allowing more customization.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lethal's post:
  • ANSH3LL
I don't think you have to root your phone to have a good experience. Rooting is mostly done by those who want special features in their phones, want to install apps that only work well on a rooted phone or really want to uninstall bloatware. If it's about just slightly tweaking your UI, I recommend using any one of the many launchers on playstore. Plus the risks involved with rooting your device really aren't worth it most of the time.
I think rooting is not as essential as it needed to be. For example, on iOS, where jailbreaking is similar to rooting on Android, major jailbreakers are not making jailbreaks any more one by one. Taking it a bit further, although the concept of fully owning your own device is nice, from a security perspective, the results can be catasrophic when your device gets hacked or has malware. I think it is a bit risky to do this, warranty or other difficulties of rooting aside.
As already said it depends.... On one side many usefull apps won't run without root, others will not if your phone is rooted....
In my opinion, it's very dependend on what do you do with your phone.

As for me (a develper and linux fan, system analytics & tweaker of everything) I cannot live without root, because I:

* Like to get things as far as possible, down to the binaries or source code;
* I like to change many system settings, as getting smaller font, darker background, and up to setting the internal (hardware/firmware) volumes of speaker and caller, changing the button layout etc. etc.;
* I need XPOSED framework with its useful modules (like changing the backlight of the phone by swiping the notification bar is super-comfortable!);
* Some of apps that I use often does require root. Others are afraid of root so you can hide your "rootness" of the android with Magisk manager or XPOSED framework "root hide" module;
* I like to fully control my phone - knowing which application accessing what information and I take privacy seriously, in this case root might help or even be the only solution from disallowing certain apps to do certain things;
* I have internet provider that's limiting internet sharing to other devices, but I can share the internet without any problems with root (changing TTL acually).

If you don't do anything wrong or understand most of how android work; you won't have any problems with root on the phone. For the general customer, it, of course, might be some of not-so-important options to have; but everybody desides themselves.
@sxiii i I get the feeling you're perfectly able to develop and implement your own smart phone OS. It will probably be an improvement over Android as well. Tongue

Well done! Good

Yeah!
It helps you to do a lot of things such as removing system apps, installing linux, Windows and many other things. It also makes your device a lot faster if you use the correct app!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Adyatan's post:
  • lavid
Well Rooting immediately voids your phone's warranty,so if you have warranty you shouldnt do it,in case smth happens they will blame it on root,so you are on your own.
Also there is small chance of bricking it,google it if you dont know,its very small % but it can happen.

rooting allows the phone to run apps that it cannot run otherwise,like wifi kill,sniffing apps,Lucky patcher <3 this one is my top app,google it.
If you know what are u doing it can be life saver,but if you are regular user dont do it,it will bring you only trouble
[-] The following 1 user Likes lavid's post:
  • Genesis
for expert user "YES", but for regular user not necessary.
(08-18-2018, 04:51 AM)gpiboelkarimun Wrote: for expert user "YES", but for regular user not necessary.

Could you tell us more about why you think that way? What makes it not necessary for regular users?

Note that posts like the one above are not Quality Posts and do not count towards earning hosting.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
Rooting is like giving your old phone a new life. Using an unrooted phone is like using your PC in guest mode with limited access to everything. You can do almost anything with your your device with these elevated user privileges.

There are countless advantages of rooting your phone, to name some of them:
You gain the ability to load custom software (ROM’s) and Recovery. If you want to you can try the Cyanogenmod ROM or any other Custom ROM of your choice. Find out custom ROM'S for your device at xda.  Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums
Install Custom themes
Increased performance and battery life
The ability to install software that require root access like TiTanium backup, Link2Sd etc.
Remove the unwanted applications i.e. bloatwares which comes preinstalled in some handsets that are otherwise impossible to remove.
Creating and Deleting Sd-card Partition to increase your old phone internal memory by using sd-card. You can virtually increase your phone’s internal memory and ram.
Ability to create Nandroid Backups. Nandroid Backups are like an exact copy image of your phone’s state, saved on your sd card. It stores all your apps, data, settings, sd-ext etc. of the phone (obviously, the state when you took the backup). Nandroid Backups are a very convenient way to restore your data after something has gone wrong (or want to change between roms).
Overclock your device. Overclocking refers to running your processor above the “safe” limit set by the manufacturer. This limit is usually set so that the battery life is extended, less overheating problems occur as well as minimum possible damage is done to the processor in the long run. It is recommended that you avoid overclocking your device.
Odex and Deodex your device. For faster performance and to create some extra space.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Xty's post:
  • Genesis
It depends on your requirements actually. if you need more features than the oem manufacturers offer you then the right choice is to root your device this can help you gain the ultimate potential of your phone. unlocking bootloader and rooting your device can help you in customize your device and have extra features into your device.

i personal root all my android phones with the help of xda forums where i can get all the stuff needed and i build kernels for my device. installing xposed framework give an extra bonus features for your device.
it wasn't that big of a deal for me to root my phones  Biggrin  most phones have only a year of warranty and only 2 years of software support (which is really bad  Angry ), after they stopped updating your phones you can try to root and change your rom and stuff, it adds more fun to your phone and try out different roms to suit your need
right now, i'm in a situation with an old galaxy s6, that i would like to have rooted. the phone works fine, but with the latest android version pushed out by the carrier, i really would like to root it, as it randomly reboots and locks up. so, i think rooting is the way to go when your current rom is having problems or lacking something that you need, and the latest version pushed by the carrier is not solving those problems.