•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What is your favourite Web editing software?

I have been playing with Dreamweaver and Flash, but would really like something more simple to use, A drag and drop type like Wix.com or something but downloadable so I can do it on my computer, Is there anything freeware out there like this.
(11-03-2014, 06:08 AM)reichertd Wrote: I have been playing with Dreamweaver and Flash, but would really like something more simple to use, A drag and drop type like Wix.com or something but downloadable so I can do it on my computer, Is there anything freeware out there like this.
Why not try Kompozer and see whether it works for you. It's miles removed from Dreamweaver, but it is definitely simple and easy to use.
http://www.kompozer.net/
Hey cool, thanks I will give it a try. I probably will end up using dreamweaver eventually, but just want something simple to get me started. I have downloaded some templates and find many are too complicated at this time for me to even edit. I have a lynda.com account and found some tutorials there I want to try. But I definitely want to try this
My favorites are Dreamweaver, Notepad++ and Brackets (Mac). Any code editor will get the job done though, but a few bells and whistles may help you code faster.
I use Dreamweaver, primarily. I have Notepad++ installed on my computer, but I find the interface a little too austere for my tastes. Of course, I'm kinda spoiled from using Visual Studio for non-Web coding, so my experience should be taken with a few grains of salt. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to have to patch 10 things up , all while I'm trying to tweak the one thing I actually care about.
I've been going through stages, but lately have become optimally lazy with using the Filemanager tool to edit code. In combo with Notepad++. I've become a total cPanel Filemanager nut these days. Maybe a phase I'm going through.
(06-13-2013, 12:25 AM)Hazem Wrote: I like Notepad+
Free software very simple and it shows the code errors
I am the king of typo

This is is true, except I may have found a bug in that program by mere accident. There is an icon on my version that makes reference nppFTP. Here a mini app will load within the app to make a secure connection the problem with this function is it will crash and halt the program telling it an application has caused the program to crash. For this reason, I'm out. Normally this is my program of choice to edit the XML and code of the Roku SDK part of the Developer program for making your own channel.
I've been using Komodo Edit, but I've heard good things about Sublime Text, and I'm trying of giving it a try.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
I am using Dreamweaver since 10 years and I am absolutely happy withbit. Though today with all the online editors and CMS like wordpress, a web editor is getting less important.
Coffee Cup and Notepad for average to small sized websites seems to do the job
I mostly just use Notepad. Will be checking out Notepad++ as many members here have high regard for it.
Notepad++ is definitely recommended. I like how when one copies and pastes CMS or code to Notepad++ it immediately recognizes it as code and formats it automatically.

For small edits File Manager can be handy too. cPanel has really improved File Manager in its last version. Even easy to upload zipped scripts directly to File manager and unzip them in File manager.
(12-26-2014, 06:11 PM)Genesis Wrote: For small edits File Manager can be handy too. cPanel has really improved File Manager in its last version. Even easy to upload zipped scripts directly to File manager and unzip them in File manager.

Recently discovered how well this works also.

I was on the verge of trashing a whole web site because I couldn't figure out how to repair some upgrade issues. After spending about an hour searching and considering different ways to handle zipped files on a server, it dawned on me to take a look at the cPanel File Manager. It did exactly what I needed it to do and saved me a huge headache.

It really has a lot going for it in terms of ease of use, simple yet capable features and the convenience of being integrated into cPanel. It's definitely a time saver and a go to method for handling basic file manipulations associated with installing, upgrading and customizing scripts and files.
Notepad++ if I'm on Windows. Nothing compares to geany on linux (for me). There's a geany for windows as well... definitely worth a shot. Love the way geany highlights code for different languages. There isn't an easier way to navigate and maneuver around code.
Never heard of Geany before. Just Googled it and what I liked immediately were those numbers on the left side. Wish they could add them in WordPress. Today I've been struggling to change something in CSS and the developer refers to "line 13" and no numbers. Guess someone will come up with a proper coding editor page in WordPress, or maybe already has and I've still to discover the plugin. Tongue
(12-30-2014, 05:16 PM)Genesis Wrote: Never heard of Geany before. Just Googled it and what I liked immediately were those numbers on the left side. Wish they could add them in WordPress. Today I've been struggling to change something in CSS and the developer refers to "line 13" and no numbers. Guess someone will come up with a proper coding editor page in WordPress, or maybe already has and I've still to discover the plugin. Tongue

Have you tried: Advanced Code Editor? I use it on one of my sites and it's pretty decent.

[Image: AdvancedCodeEditor.jpg]

Although probably too cumbersome for a lot of people, I usually just cut and past the code into Notepad++ or TextWrangler and edit it there. This way I can easily save a clean copy to go back to in case I get things too out of whack.
I'll definitely try it thanks a lot! Cool
If you're going for free, I haven't found anything better than NetBeans PHP edition, or whatever it's called - don't try to download the full monte and add the php plugin, it's much easier to just get the one that's customized for PHP already.

if you're willing to drop a hundred or two, PHPStorm is the superfire.
Windows i use Note++, on Mac is CODA, pretty happy with theseYahoo
(12-26-2014, 06:11 PM)Genesis Wrote: Notepad++ is definitely recommended. I like how when one copies and pastes CMS or code to Notepad++ it immediately recognizes it as code and formats it automatically.

For small edits File Manager can be handy too. cPanel has really improved File Manager in its last version. Even easy to upload zipped scripts directly to File manager and unzip them in File manager.

Netbeans does that, and it does code folding, and other neatt tricks. Next best thing to PHPStorm! Make sure to get the PHP version though, its already set up with most everything you need with language definitions and whatnot.

It can also do file watchers so you can autotranspile Sass, Less, Haml, or whatever too.

It also has a sql browser if I remember correctly. PHPStorm has a sql tool, and a command line tool as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smalpierre's post:
  • Genesis
I have probably already had recommended phpDesigner. It is indeed, a great IDE; I do still suggest you check it out.

There is, however, my new favourite: HippoEdit. it is an app very similar to phpDesigner but has several differences, the interface is more customizable and overall, the app works better. And it is cheaper! It has all the goodies like code recognition (with automatic downloading of color schemes for new types for files; recently the app asked me whether I want it to download scheme for .conf files, I was surprised!). FTP explorer with editing files "directly" from FTP. And there are dozens of simple addons that enchance your workflow as you want it to be.

Both apps are commercial but they are indeed worth it!
I don't know if I have posted in this thread about Brackets from Adobe, but I will say something about it.

Bracket is a free modern code editor with hell-a-lot plugins that can be installed into it to enhance the productivity for coding. This means that the user can choose betwen plugins and libraries ready to download and install. The Brackets also offers an Extract(Preview) plugin, which allows you to code straight from the .psd file opened within Brackets. It also supports pre-processors such as less and sass.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes GigaGreg's post:
  • smalpierre
I use cuteftp and its built in editor. Notepad++ sucks to edit anything in. I code everything from scratch and started doing it well before there were any other apps available. Reading some of there post, I have seen some that I might try out.
(05-11-2015, 02:27 PM)iGdesigner Wrote: I don't know if I have posted in this thread about Brackets from Adobe, but I will say something about it.

Bracket is a free modern code editor with hell-a-lot plugins that can be installed into it to enhance the productivity for coding. This means that the user can choose betwen plugins and libraries ready to download and install. The Brackets also offers an Extract(Preview) plugin, which allows you to code straight from the .psd file opened within Brackets. It also supports pre-processors such as less and sass.

I might have to check that one out. I've used software that slices up psd files before, but the css and html generated wasn't really what I was looking for. It might be handy working with some of the non-coding designers I work with.

I do too much back end coding to use something like that as a primary dev tool, but I haven't found a dev tool yet that does it all.
Yeah, you should definately try this program. It helps a lot to write the code.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
Notepad ++ and Firefox are easiest for me. But then I'm not a heavy duty coder. I mostly copy code from existing templates and edit the code for what I want.
[Image: CKJPvzV.png]
Dreamweaver !! Since I have first used it I have fallen love with it! lol Never have used any other program since then. Now I use Dreamweaver CS6. That will be the last one I would buy because I hate this new Could software thing. I prefer to have it in my computer.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
(05-12-2015, 05:22 PM)xdude Wrote: Dreamweaver !! Since I have first used it I have fallen love with it! lol Never have used any other program since then. Now I use Dreamweaver CS6. That will be the last one I would buy because I hate this new Could software thing. I prefer to have it in my computer.
I don't like that either. Particularly when there is no option as well. Do you know whether Dreamweaver CS6 is still available for sale?
@Genesis You can likely find old copies on sites like Amazon and Ebay. I only use Dreamweaver when I absolutely need to, because it's been a memory hog every time I've used it, and bulkier than I like my code editors. Your experience may be different though.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
(05-12-2015, 08:04 PM)Yozora Wrote: @Genesis You can likely find old copies on sites like Amazon and Ebay. I only use Dreamweaver when I absolutely need to, because it's been a memory hog every time I've used it, and bulkier than I like my code editors. Your experience may be different though.
Thanks Yozora. I missed out on Dreamweaver at its height of popularity because of its price, taking up too much resources (now that you mention it, once when I borrowed a copy to try out it totally froze my system) and the learning curve (you got to do some basic courses). Nice to know where to get it if I wanted to, but I'm such a lazy person. Probably will stick with my usual lazy system of Notepad++, or cPanel File Manager or improvising CSS and html in WordPress. I'm still admiring Dreamweaver from afar though, always felt like Rolls Royce for serious media people. Similar to Adobe Photoshop versus Adobe light or Gimp. Tongue

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next