•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What is your favourite Web editing software?

@Genesis Yeah, I know what you mean. For me, I think that admiration died when I realized that a lot of people I knew who used it only used the design mode and never touched code, and that most of the things I did on the code side could be done in almost any code editor, including less bulky ones which wouldn't lag.

I don't doubt that it can be a very powerful tool, but I don't quite see it in the same category as Photoshop, where nothing else can really touch it in terms of raw power as a tool. Others may have different experiences though.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
Dreamweaver was my first real tool for html. Before that, i used notepad. I never liked design mode, the code it produced was pretty out there. It was my first, and last wysiwyg editor.

I got Brackets, looks like there's a responsive plugin for it too. Might be handy for building mockups.
(05-12-2015, 07:19 PM)Genesis Wrote: I don't like that either. Particularly when there is no option as well. Do you know whether Dreamweaver CS6 is still available for sale?

Adobe is doing everything to force people buying new cc version. They have removed all CS6 or older copies from Amazon. Even on Ebay it's really hard to find. I found few Adobe CS6 master collections on ebay but all cost you around $500.

People will start downloading it on torrent sites soon. I can't blame them for them.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
(05-13-2015, 05:48 AM)xdude Wrote: People will start downloading it on torrent sites soon. I can't blame them for them.
Another great reason to get torrent.

You can use upto CS3 without a serial number validation. They have removed those validation servers and offered series from Adobe site publicly. That page is not available anymore but no activation servers means they don't bother about those old versions anymore, if anyone want to use.

But what I love about C6 is it's responsive layout and other latest technology support.
(05-13-2015, 12:13 PM)xdude Wrote: You can use upto CS3 without a serial number validation.
That's great to know!

(05-13-2015, 05:48 AM)xdude Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 07:19 PM)Genesis Wrote: I don't like that either. Particularly when there is no option as well. Do you know whether Dreamweaver CS6 is still available for sale?

Adobe is doing everything to force people buying new cc version. They have removed all CS6 or older copies from Amazon. Even on Ebay it's really hard to find. I found few Adobe CS6 master collections on ebay but all cost you around $500.

People will start downloading it on torrent sites soon. I can't blame them for them.

Not that I condone torrent usage, but all my software come from there. Its mainly because I can't afford to buy the software. I also try to find open source and free software first.
xdude Wrote:Adobe is doing everything to force people buying new cc version. They have removed all CS6 or older copies from Amazon. Even on Ebay it's really hard to find. I found few Adobe CS6 master collections on ebay but all cost you around $500.

That's awful! After their switch to Creative Cloud, I'm starting to not like Adobe more and more.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
Well im currently doing my reacher as we speak on the best web editing software, i currently use notepad++. In my reacher i have found that there are a lot of open soure CMS that can be use to create website such as this one that we are currently using. Im just opening that posting this to unlock feature such as Cpanel.let see what happen.
(05-13-2015, 08:02 PM)Yozora Wrote: That's awful! After their switch to Creative Cloud, I'm starting to not like Adobe more and more.

They are trying to get more profit. With this Cloud system it's hard to get updates unless you stay connected with their servers. And for that you need to have a legit license. But still you can install the software in your computer and use. But Cloud system is not great for people like me who has limited Internet packages. Mine is only around 60GB per month.

Well even though I hate it I have to admit there are few good things about this system. Even though I wouldn't pay it forever for my personal use, It's great for small companies. An original copy of Photoshop cost you around $800 at least and something same for Dreamweaver. Rather than paying huge amount for software upfront now companies can pay monthly.
So web editing hands down dreamweaver cc. It is for advanced user becuase all the menus can get confusing. With that said i choose dreamweaver because with this evolving website world you need to make one that fits all types of screen sizes and dreamweaver does the best at managing that.
For simple static web sites
Notepad++
CoffeeCup will do the job

But I use Microsoft Visual Studio for web development, as mostly have to handle both front end and back end functionality.
I love NVU. Pronounced N-View, or New View,
To me, as a Newbie, I find things so simple to find, and I don't get bamboozled with stuff I don't understand.
It works for me faultlessly.
(06-14-2015, 09:38 AM)engrshinwari Wrote: For simple static web sites
Notepad++

But I use Microsoft Visual Studio for web development, as mostly have to handle both front end and back end functionality.

Visual Studio? Its been years since I've used that. I never did like it. We used Visual C++ 6 when I was in school, and I had to use it sometimes at the bank.

Are you using .NET? We had some internal sites (basically CRUD sites) at the lab that were C#.NET, but we didn't use VS there. They had "better" (read muchmuchMUCH mo expensive) tools than VS. For the $4g they spent on that software, it wasn't worth it. I forget what tool it was, but it did a lot of code generation - way too much for my taste - but it was geared specifically for .NET websites. The classic ASP apps at the bank mostly I think I used VS, but I don't remember.

There's always SharpDevelop - .NET guys seem to like it, but I think most .NET guys are MS guys, so they use the MS tools.

I liked Delphi MUCH better than VS for windows programming.

(06-14-2015, 06:14 PM)retrever Wrote: I love NVU. Pronounced N-View, or New View,
To me, as a Newbie, I find things so simple to find, and I don't get bamboozled with stuff I don't understand.

I haven't used it in a long LONG time, but when I was starting to learn web programming I used Dreamweaver - a wysiwyg tool. I thought it would be great to be able to have it generate the code so I could build something, then switch to code and see how it works.

It did help a little bit, but the code it generated was a trainwreck. it WORKED, but it was a trainwreck. So it wasn't long before I dropped design view, and only used the editor - and not long after that that I switched to Notepad. I used that for a while until I found a lightweight syntax highlighting editor. Then I discovered the need for a decent IDE, and found some with debugging tools.

I'm not a super heavy user of debugging and unit testing tools, but they are handy at times.

Anyway - maybe NVU generates better code than dreamweaver - probably does. Use the code view, and you'll find ways to optimize and update the code. Eventually you'll get good enough at it where you'll use the design view less and less - and it'll frustrate you more and more :)
Yes I'm .Net developer (ASP.Net, C#.Net). Areas also include Sharepoint development, Business Intelligence.

So for me first choice is VS.

(06-14-2015, 06:26 PM)smalpierre Wrote:
(06-14-2015, 09:38 AM)engrshinwari Wrote: For simple static web sites
Notepad++

Visual Studio? Its been years since I've used that. I never did like it. We used Visual C++ 6 when I was in school, and I had to use it sometimes at the bank.

Are you using .NET? We had some internal sites (basically CRUD sites) at the lab that were C#.NET, but we didn't use VS there. They had "better" (read muchmuchMUCH mo expensive) tools than VS. For the $4g they spent on that software, it wasn't worth it. I forget what tool it was, but it did a lot of code generation - way too much for my taste - but it was geared specifically for .NET websites. The classic ASP apps at the bank mostly I think I used VS, but I don't remember.

There's always SharpDevelop - .NET guys seem to like it, but I think most .NET guys are MS guys, so they use the MS tools.

I liked Delphi MUCH better than VS for windows programming.

(06-14-2015, 06:14 PM)retrever Wrote: I love NVU. Pronounced N-View, or New View,

I haven't used it in a long LONG time, but when I was starting to learn web programming I used Dreamweaver - a wysiwyg tool. I thought it would be great to be able to have it generate the code so I could build something, then switch to code and see how it works.

It did help a little bit, but the code it generated was a trainwreck. it WORKED, but it was a trainwreck. So it wasn't long before I dropped design view, and only used the editor - and not long after that that I switched to Notepad. I used that for a while until I found a lightweight syntax highlighting editor. Then I discovered the need for a decent IDE, and found some with debugging tools.

I'm not a super heavy user of debugging and unit testing tools, but they are handy at times.

Anyway - maybe NVU generates better code than dreamweaver - probably does. Use the code view, and you'll find ways to optimize and update the code. Eventually you'll get good enough at it where you'll use the design view less and less - and it'll frustrate you more and more :)
I use notepad ++.
I'm surprised more people don't use netbeans around here.
(06-20-2015, 01:02 AM)smalpierre Wrote: I'm surprised more people don't use netbeans around here.

I thought Netbeans is only for Java. For Java I use the the free editor called Eclipse. But I don't use Java anymore for my work. I just do bit here and there so I won't forget the whole thing.
@xdude eclipse has plugins for a bunch of languages. I didn't like eclipse, it seemed clunky.

Netbeans also has plugins for different languages. I saw that it could do C++ and PHP, so I tried it. First I tried the standard netbeans adding php and c++ plugins. It was a pain. So I uninstalled and installed the version made for php. It basically leaves out the java plugins and comes preconfigured for php.

I LOVED it! Like anything else its not perfect, but it works great overall. The most popular php ides are in order - phpstorm, netbeans, sublime ... then the rest. I switched to phpstorm for reasons I don't recall exactly. There was something I wanted to do that netbeans didn't do as well.

https://netbeans.org/features/php/
I have only used Netbeans very long time ago when it was new. Probably around 8 - 10 years ago. Those days it was the only event-driven editor Java had. It was so damn slow and I had to gave it up.

I have never used anything else for PHP ever since I have started Dreamweaver.
@xdude

When I started using it, it was less of a resource hog than eclipse. I gave up on it then, and rediscovered it when I was looking for a php ide. I used it about 4 years, then switched about 6 months ago to phpstorm. It's $100, but we'll worth it.

Back when I first started using it I was looking for something to replace visual studio. I never liked VS. I found what was then Borland Delphi and C++ builder - awesome tools, but not cross platform, or cross compile. Kylix was cool for back in the day, then they gave up on it. Now I think they will cross compile, and I think it's one product for both Pascal and C++.

Anyway ... Im not paying 2k for an idea and the VCL library. I can use Lazarus with the LCL, a VCL clone, and you can use Qt libraries in it, or you can use the Qt whatever it's called - Qt Designer? if you want to code in C++
Never liked visual studio either. Too expensive and also those days ASP was so bad as a scripting language. Also I started things with C then C++, Java and PHP. But now I don't use anything except php. Even that's for small customizing jobs for Wordpress.

I never done much but Delphi used to be a great language. I think there was a editor called A++ or something from Microsoft.
Delphi is a great language still. Technically Delphi is the IDE, Object Pascal is the language. Delphi comes with the VCL which is an awesome library. Lazarus is a very good open source replacement though.

Yeah, I did some classic ASP sites in VBS and JScript. I liked JScript better, but the powers that be didn't like me using it. I think anything that was an Active Script language could be used - you could use ActivePERL I think ... but classic ASP worked similarly to PHP - it just wasn't nearly as good. The bank was running IIS, and you couldn't get them to add anything - so I was stuck with languages that were built in.

PHP is far superior, but not as good as a compiled CGI or ISAPI app.
You're great developer, I'm still tried Content Management System (CMS) for building website, Confused
@dharis01

Are you coding your own html / css, or just using themes? That's the first step is learning that. Then some PHP or other server side code, and databases. You'll get there - I've been doing this about 20 years. When I started I was clueless :)
Nope, only Notepad++ and google chrome Biggrin
Hi everyone,
I use only Notepad++ , but still use Windows Notepad for copy/paste operations. Notepad++ is giving me even more then I need and it's really, really useful when changing or finding the same lines of text or codes within more files in folder/s. And I never encountered any serious issues with it. It is also useful when you want to check are all div tags closed and where a certain div tag is closed... When you work with css files it checks are codes spelled correctly etc. Of course there are many similar softwares with similar functions and options, but I always recommend Notepad++.
@misharnet. Wonder how many people are using the tools in Filemanager of cPanel? I use notepad++ and notepad windows myself, however sometimes when I've worked with tricky modifications don't know what it is, but I get more perfect results with changing the code in the code editor of cPanel Filemanager than with external editors. Also much faster of course. Particularly with html.

Worst editor to use for WordPress has to be WordPress itself. I find I always have to copy and paste the WordPress CSS and html to an external editor so I can view and edit it properly. By the way since you're into WordPress in a meaningful way, would be interested what tools you are using for editing WordPress CSS and html.

(06-27-2015, 05:13 PM)Genesis Wrote: @misharnet. Wonder how many people are using the tools in Filemanager of cPanel? I use notepad++ and notepad windows myself, however sometimes when I've worked with tricky modifications don't know what it is, but I get more perfect results with changing the code in the code editor of cPanel Filemanager than with external editors. Also much faster of course. Particularly with html.

Worst editor to use for WordPress has to be WordPress itself. I find I always have to copy and paste the WordPress CSS and html to an external editor so I can view and edit it properly. By the way since you're into WordPress in a meaningful way, would be interested what tools you are using for editing WordPress CSS and html.

Well I do some minor changes in cPanel filemanager, but mostly I do it with Notepad++, I almost never use WordPress core editor and when I use it it is only for a quick css change never PHP or HTML coding. I am also carefull about FileZilla usage, I am uploading files directly in cPanel filemanager in .zip format. For images I use FileZilla. That's my experience it doesn't have to mean anything to others.
I'm beginning to worry about FileZilla too. With my last experience I used both File Manager and FileZilla to update the same script. FileZilla took probably 10 times as long. Don't know why.

•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next