Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Host images on server or pull them in?

So I'm developing a site and I've got the choice of linking to images or host them myself. Some I will have to host because I'd like to edit them. What are the community's thoughts on this, also using a CDN like cloud flare to cache for better content delivery? Full answers please, make them useful for other members ?
convct
Diablo 
[Image: userbar.png]
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
My first thought would be that by hosting them you'd use more resources from a storage and downloading point of view. Think there could be security issues too. So linking would be better from that point of view.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • c0nvct
hosting them requires bandwidth and space, grant load speed
linking them means your website depends on the images host speed and uptime
I'd go for hosting them on my own space, and make all the necessary modifications (resize/convert/..) to insure web load speed and save bandwidth/space
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Martin Luther King Jr
[-] The following 2 users Like Hazem's post:
  • c0nvct, Genesis
I don't think it's ever a good idea to hotlink images found on random websites. First of all it's not nice to the owner of the website because it wastes their bandwidth. Secondly it might not be reliable because the images could be removed or they could be changed to something that you don't want to show.

Using a free image hosting service such as imgur might be tempting but you need to keep in mind that it might not always be around, or they might change their terms and start asking for money, etc. Just look at what happened to photobucket recently.

If you are using your own server to host the images I don't see what advantages there would be of having them separate from the rest of the website. Personally I would prefer keeping everything together on the same server for simplicity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Peter's post:
  • c0nvct
All good points of view guys, thank you all. I completely agree re: hotlinking, it's very rude to do so. That said, in my case it is allowed. All the images would be hosted. I've now spent more time researching, and here is what I've leaned so far and the resources available.

1. Hosting the images on your own server gives you control over size and optimisation
2. AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) and Schema and Speed (Loading times) are now very important to SEO
3. Cloudflare is awesome and as are other CDN (Content Delivery Networks) - though I've only just got started with cloudflare. Basically, using their free account, they will cache all your static content all around their networks, and those of their partners, globally. This reduces page loading dramatically. They have a nifty plugin for Wordpress too.
EDIT: https://trimage.org/ I'm a Linux user and discovered this useful little JPeg and PNG optimiser, there is a Mac tool here https://imageoptim.com/api that the Linux version was created in response to. 

Anyone reading this, I cannot overstate how important image optimisation for fast loading, but also with File names and filling in that ALT text - all this has a large impact on SEO - so for a few minutes work or a few lines of code to automate, or use Wordpress cause it has many features built in.

Remember, if you display a 2500 x 1500px image resized by the browser to 250 x 150px, it still has to download the 2500 x 1500px image, so use your head, mobile browsing is number #1 now, thank you Steve Jobs.

Also, use your keyword at the start of the image file name. So DF118.jpg is total rubbish. Describe the image in the file name as well as the ALT.

I've been learning a lot about SEO, it's changed so much since I last had anything to do with it. I've had to backtrack so many times to get this site right from the get go, fortunately, the next site will be a lot easier.

Original content is still king, but from a techy POV - the image thing is on the flipside of the coin.

Any other suggestions, links to things that you have used to positive affect (or negative and that which should be avoided at all costs!) then by all means, keep the thread alive (content is King after all)

Thanks all!
convct
Diablo 
It's good to host images on your on server but sometimes it's needs a bit more space and takes a little more bandwidth. As I have worked for a client I remember he was a photographer and wanted me to develop a site for him where he will be able to add images for his online portfolio. And I suggested him to use flickr and added to add multiple flikr gallery option in his site which worked in my case.
Business Websites
Shop - https://biobeo.com | Hosting Panel - https://biobeo.net | Domain Panel - https://biobeo.org

My online portfolio
https://yusha.me

Made with
in Canada
[-] The following 1 user Likes yusha's post:
  • c0nvct
I'd think it would be better to link images from your own server since they should load quicker and you have more control over things. A third-party site could go away or get bought out by a shady company whose terms you may not agree with. Or nothing could happen. Who knows in the end, but why take the risk if you don't absolutely have to? Just my thoughts.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yozora's post:
  • c0nvct
Agreed, I've taken the advice of the masses and host my own images.

Google's AMP is also a big consideration, so it's even more important than ever.

now, anyone know a really good WordPress media library plugin? I personally think WordPress is the mutts nuts, excellent project which has opened my eyes to do much, but....

The media library really sucks. I am actually already using a plugin that helps a lot.
convct
Diablo 
Hey c0nvct

I suggest you focus on optimizing your media files for better page load times. Here's a plugin which help you manage your media library and at the same time automatically resize your images that are uploaded to be highly optimized. 

Now this feature can be customized as per your need, so check it out here : https://wordpress.org/plugins/imsanity/
There is no end to learning, when you stop learning is when your brain dies.

E-mail to connect with me - Zoheb Shaikh
[-] The following 1 user Likes zoheb998's post:
  • c0nvct
(09-04-2017, 02:34 PM)zoheb998 Wrote: Hey c0nvct

I suggest you focus on optimizing your media files for better page load times. Here's a plugin which help you manage your media library and at the same time automatically resize your images that are uploaded to be highly optimized. 

Now this feature can be customized as per your need, so check it out here : https://wordpress.org/plugins/imsanity/

Respect for that my friend. I'm actually using Smush though I optimise my images before they go up and attempt to standardise sizes. WordPress resizes, but I'm still looking in to how useful it is regarding images downloaded to mobile devices. Therefore your plugin is a good place to get a better understanding. Speed is of the essence as far as I'm concerned, though AMP doesn't seem well understood right now.
convct
Diablo 
Woocommerce has a very good image gallery, but woocommerce - the real theme - is a bit pricey. Of you can use the media settings in WP settings.

You could use the gallery settings of the theme you are using in conjunction with the "Regenerate Thumbnail" plugin. The latter plugin works in the tools sub-menu. What it does is if you change the thumbnail sizing in "settings" you can use this plugin to apply the settings to all of your thumbnails.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • c0nvct
@c0nvct  You'll get there once your research goes in the right direction. WordPress is capable to do things more than what it's famous for, Keep searching independent developers who use their knowledge to develop plugins which can be used by you. Specially in the AMP related know-how.
Good luck!
There is no end to learning, when you stop learning is when your brain dies.

E-mail to connect with me - Zoheb Shaikh
[-] The following 1 user Likes zoheb998's post:
  • c0nvct
if you use CDN , You have more security options and more speed to load of your website and when your host is offline its a good option to still keep your website online in static view but its better than full offline.