Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Subdomain or Subfolder which one is better for SEO?

I would like you to tell your opinions and experiences about this subject.
If I already have a good ranked website in root domain and want to create an additional subsite, but with a slightly different niche, but not completely different. Should I create it with subdomain or should I create it in subfolder.
What is the better way for SEO?
Subdomain is better for SEO
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Martin Luther King Jr
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hazem's post:
  •
If the site is in completely different topic / subject the better go with sub domain. If the niche is related to the existing one prefer sub folder.
Note I am not a expert in this but my best option from my experience.
Using subdomain is better for seo, I've experienced it with my joomla site. the sitemap url is better for a subdomain than a folder
I noticed several members say subdomains are better for SEO than sub folder. It would be nice to hear reasons too.

In my experience link juice flow faster into pages in sub folders. Do you guys know you have to verify each sub domain in Google search console ? It tracks performance per subdomain and also crawl each separately too. So it would slow down things in SEO.

Subdomains are useful for massive mega sites to organize things well. Because these sites have massive amount of information and subsidiaries. For example Canon or Disney. But for a small site its not point put things in separate sub domains IMO.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
[-] The following 3 users Like xdude's post:
  • , binil, Genesis
(01-28-2019, 12:22 PM)xdude Wrote: I noticed several members say subdomains are better for SEO than sub folder. It would be nice to hear reasons too.

In my experience link juice flow faster into pages in sub folders. Do you guys know you have to verify each sub domain in Google search console ? It tracks performance per subdomain and also crawl each separately too. So it would slow down things in SEO.

Subdomains are useful for massive mega sites to organize things well. Because these sites have massive amount of information and subsidiaries. For example Canon or Disney. But for a small site its not point put things in separate sub domains IMO.

I do agree with you, for small sites its better to go for a sub folder. For massive sites its a different story.
Big differences are between subdomain and sub folder management in your host manager and cms as well; crawlers behave like a totally different domain with subdomains, but security for subdomains in case of compromising main domain is also higher than sub folders.
All of world is in inside yourself.
I think:

subdomain is for a new site
subfolder is for the same site, different category

For my categories I prefer to have a subfolder, but for example, a forum I'd prefer to have a separate subdomain.