Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best alternative to WordPress?

Hi,

Maybe joomla? I personally do not use, however, friends have a good opinion.
There is no alternative CMS to Wordpress. There is Joomla, Drupal etc, but those differ from Wordpress.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
OctoberCMS is definitely one of the best alternative to WordPress. It is as simple as WordPress and you can install extension to extend its functionality just like you do by installing plugins in WordPress.
Mmm... it depends ;-) IMHO nothing on the market right now comes close to Wordpress as CMS in term of service, security and choice, but you didn't specify your needs. As others have suggested, Joomla and Drupal are surely worth a try if those are the services you are looking for. If instead your question was just regarding a blogger platform to write your journal or to create your own blog, aside from Google's blogger of course, there is Medium, Ghost.org and Steemit (this one blockchain based), have a look, I'm sure you'll find something useful. If you needed something in particular, just follow up in this thread, of course!
After almost 1 year later I'd confirm as a former Drupal-user that " nothing comes close to Wordpress..." as the former post stated it correctly. I became a sworn Wordpress-user in the end.
(03-27-2019, 12:22 PM)Franz Wrote: After almost 1 year later I'd confirm as a former Drupal-user that " nothing comes close to Wordpress..."
I'm a Drupal-user for a few years with core 7.xx. As I know Drupal 7 will be supported until november 2021.
But an upgrade to core 8.xx is senseless, because Drupal 8 end of life is also at november 2021 while Drupal
9 will be released in the next year.
So I'm not really familiar with Drupal 8 and I've heard good things about Wordpress, please can you tell me
the main differences / benefits ?
(04-04-2019, 06:39 PM)Vector Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 12:22 PM)Franz Wrote: After almost 1 year later I'd confirm as a former Drupal-user that " nothing comes close to Wordpress..."
I'm a Drupal-user for a few years with core 7.xx. As I know Drupal 7 will be supported until november 2021.
But an upgrade to core 8.xx is senseless, because Drupal 8 end of life is also at november 2021 while Drupal
9 will be released in the next year.
So I'm not really familiar with Drupal 8 and I've heard good things about Wordpress, please can you tell me
the main differences / benefits ?  
I found an article which comes very close to my opinion in terms of this comparison Drupal vs. WordPress. I hope, you don’t mind I send you a link for this purpose: https://themeisle.com/blog/wordpress-vs-...-compared/
I personally stick with WordPress as a small user, like so many mega companies do within an endless list like NBC ,Forbes, UPS, TIME Magazine, New York Times, CNN, Volkswagen, General Motors, etc.
Just give it a try!
It is very easy to use.
Install it from your cPanel using an instant installer like Softaculous, and it will take you a few seconds only.
You can make the backups from there also very easily.
(04-05-2019, 11:40 AM)Franz Wrote: I found an article which comes very close to my opinion in terms of this comparison Drupal vs. WordPress. I hope, you don’t mind I send you a link for this purpose: https://themeisle.com/blog/wordpress-vs-...-compared/I personally stick with WordPress as a small user, like so many mega companies do within an endless list like NBC ,Forbes, UPS, TIME Magazine, New York Times, CNN, Volkswagen, General Motors, etc.
Thank you for the link, Franz. I'll read the comparison on weekend.
Always in my mind are the lot of attempts to attack my Drupalsite with obviously Wordpress security leaks in my log.
After reading your recommendation about Drupal/Wordpress I'll give Wordpress a try.
At first I'll going to install Wordpress on xampp and play around with a few plugins.
After that I have to decide which system works best for me.
If its websites you want you could maybe try Concrete5? or maybe BuilderEngine?
Not sure about them though as i never got BuilderEngine to work, And Concrete5 Is too complex.
You can explain, why you don't like Wordpress? Because 31% sites on net was built by Wordpress.
For a blog, the best alternative could be https://www.flatpress.org/

I have used it before I learned working with MySQL. It uses flat files for storage, so if you have a big blog there will be loads of files (and folders) which in turn leads to filling up of your inode limit. 

But I have found that it will be useful if MySQL service is slow. However fast wordpress claims to be, for the normal eye, I think flatpress seems to be loading faster.