Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Windows Defender is enough to protect you.

Windows Laptops comes a inbuilt antivirus called Windows Defender.
What is Windows Defender?
  Well as stated above it is a windows builtin defender, to protect you against viruses , malwares and shitty spywares.
It is not a cool name Antivirus , eeww...
  Despite the idiocy that you may think its not cool, it is alone enough to protect you without compromising your performace, especially for a low end pc's.

What to do then?
Just keep the Defender up to date and you will be safe no matter what. If some s*** happened to you then remember , update it.

REMEMBER:
Scan at least once a month but always keep your defender up to date.
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
You need to have an antivirus for windows 7 and previous. But yes Win Defender is a good protection
[Image: pepe.jpg?1475252543]
(05-02-2018, 05:30 AM)heisty Wrote: Windows Laptops comes a inbuilt antivirus called Windows Defender.
What is Windows Defender?Well as stated above it is a windows builtin defender, to protect you against viruses , malwares and shitty spywares.
It is not a cool name Antivirus , eeww...
  Despite the idiocy that you may think its not cool, it is alone enough to protect you without compromising your performace, especially for a low end pc's.

What to do then?
Just keep the Defender up to date and you will be safe no matter what. If some s*** happened to you then remember , update it.

REMEMBER:
Scan at least once a month but always keep your defender up to date.

Hi, Defender of windows is an antivirus that is included in the latest versions of Windows and is free. For the average user and without technical knowledge, it is the minimum. It is not perfect, it has details: over time, it slows down the system and the more things you have in your computer, the more processes it performs. It does not always detect the latest threats, it does not indicate what tasks it performed and few details about its actions and many more.

I recommend using AVAST or a paid antivirus like Kapersky.

Best regards.
Windows defender is all you need, the problem is a lot of false positive (I didn't download files, I used source codes which got detected as a virus)
I have found that Windows Defender AntiVirus is quite good as a free builtin tool, its not as bad as most reviews claim. Just keep the definitions updated, Its good enough for most people. But if you don't mind the ads popping up, I would suggest the Avira Free AntiVirus. Its a bit better.
If you are tech-savvy and are using the Windows machine for personal use, then you are pretty much fine with just defender. The only time you REALLY need something powerful enough to cost a decent amount of money is if you are being targeted by someone or click onto things without much thought. For those types of people though, all you need is Webroot or something else cheap to make sure they don't install a virus and grant it admin permissions. Servers, however, are another story. Especially high profile, public projects.
[Image: qDvIMeq.png]
Windows defender is might be a good choise but more important ist to install updates to keep you system safe.
With outdated Software you invite the hackers to enter your system easily.
[-] The following 1 user Likes devildeluxxe's post:
  • Genesis
Well, to be honest. I personally HATE windows defender. It's memory consuming, it scans so many files slowly before you can open it. On older PC / Laptop, it'll definitely slow you down.

I Always disable windows defender and install some other free antivirus like Avast . It's better in my opinion. I use it on every PC / Laptop that i have or the one that i repaired. Even if i update the windows defender frequently, i don't feel safe just like when i use any other antivirus. 

It's true that it'll be enough for 'basic protection' , but i still recommend you to use something else rather than Windows Defender. Oh, and another thing, sometimes there are local virus that cannot be identified by international antivirus, so you gotta install some local antivirus too!
-Dzikri Aditya Darmawan-
Just a Basic Internet User
[ personal https://dzikriadityadarmawan.com web ]
[ personal https://itsliterally.me blog]
[running https://awan.studio business]

@awan I remember a year or so ago when I was still on semi automatic updates for Windows 7, it got Defender loaded without asking to do it. Since then I've first opted for choosing updates myself, and then disabled it completely (high risk I know). I at least have other security - but am obviously losing on functionality of Windows 7 - just so I can keep using my PureVPN. At any rate, Defender is very intrusive and I'm almost sure not compatible with Windows 7 - obviously - as it doesn't come with Windows 7. I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Malwarebytes and plenty of praying. Tongue
(10-27-2018, 12:43 PM)Genesis Wrote: @awan I remember a year or so ago when I was still on semi automatic updates for Windows 7, it got Defender loaded without asking to do it. Since then I've first opted for choosing updates myself, and then disabled it completely (high risk I know). I at least have other security - but am obviously losing on functionality of Windows 7 - just so I can keep using my PureVPN. At any rate, Defender is very intrusive and I'm almost sure not compatible with Windows 7 - obviously - as it doesn't come with Windows 7. I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Malwarebytes and plenty of praying. Tongue

You know.. back in the day, whenever i install an OS, i always disable the security features (such as Windows Defender and Windows Firewall) completely through Control Panel and gpedit, even the registry or service manager. I also disable the windows update and never having any issues. I always monitor my pc using antivirus (i prefer avast like i said) and some local antivirus, update it regularly and constantly watching what kind of files that stored in my PC. So i never really have any issue with virus , adware or malware. Even if i got some issues caused by some virus, i always managed to wipe 'em out. Plenty of tutorial with specific virus are available out there. You just need to know what you're doing, what you're installing, what site that you're browsing, and don't just being ignorant of what you're doing on the net. People often get some virus from fake downloads / fake software , when they download something and virus come with it or an hidden adware which not so many people aware of.
-Dzikri Aditya Darmawan-
Just a Basic Internet User
[ personal https://dzikriadityadarmawan.com web ]
[ personal https://itsliterally.me blog]
[running https://awan.studio business]

[-] The following 1 user Likes awan's post:
  • Genesis
I don't really like Windows Defender. Mainly because it doesn't tell me what it deletes (having to check event logs each time is annoying), and also keeps flagging the file I added to exclusions list, but at least doesn't delete it.

I used to use avast, but I had problems with it aswell. Mainly it ignoring the exclusions list, scanning my pc in the background without any consent/notification and not responding after switching to the secure desktop/right clicking the icon.

Currently I only have Malwarebytes and that's enough for me, because I'm actually careful and I don't open untrusted exe files without scanning them on virustotal, running them in sandboxie and doing a few other things first. And it really works, because the last time I had any virus was when I was like 9 years old.
(11-04-2018, 12:31 PM)Kiriot22 Wrote: Currently I only have Malwarebytes and that's enough for me, because I'm actually careful and I don't open untrusted exe files without scanning them on virustotal, running them in sandboxie and doing a few other things first. And it really works, because the last time I had any virus was when I was like 9 years old.
Am curious. Do you have the premium or free version of Malwarebytes?