Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Methods for tracking visitors to your site?

I'm curious what people use to look at how many views they get on their site, do you your own code to view visitors or do you use another method like a website to be able to track views and from what nation the visitor came from?

Barnum Designs
I check awstats in cpanel with my shared hosting accounts. I haven't done it in a while, but if you check cpanel there is always some links that you can use to check the traffic and who your visitors are. I'm sure one can do the same with a VPS by just fetching the stats from awstats.

Just had a quick search and found this tutorial for setting up awstats from the command line:
https://www.howtoforge.com/community/thr...ine.49603/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • Barnum4000
Well I never actually tracked traffic, but I did use google for authentication and counted how many members I had. This was very basic, of course, but it gave me all the insight I wanted so I don't know why I'd ever make a big fancy analytics system.
[Image: qDvIMeq.png]
Google Analytics works well for me and from that I can gather a lot of interesting information about the users/visitors of my sites.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
Is there something better than AWStats or Google Analytics ?
I find both tools too cumbersome ...
Is there an easier Wordpress plugin that tracks hits and refferer to my Wordpress postings and pages
and displays it in the Dashboard of my Wordpress installation ?
E.G. Google Analytics is way too complicated in my view and you really need to study it first to get it setup right....
(08-25-2018, 02:06 AM)hartiberlin Wrote: Is there something better than AWStats or Google Analytics ?
I find both tools too cumbersome ...
Is there an easier Wordpress plugin that tracks hits and refferer to my Wordpress postings and pages
and displays it in the Dashboard of my Wordpress installation ?
E.G. Google Analytics is way too complicated in my view and you really need to study it first to get it setup right....

I'm almost certain every WordPress plugin that has to do with traffic or SEO uses Google Analytics. Unfortunately Google "owns" traffic to a great extent simply because every one wants to get a high grading from Google.
I used Google Analytics many years ago. Nowadays I only use Awstats, but unfortunatly it doesn't seem to work correctly after the "Multi Cache System" was re-installed.
I used Google Analytics before for all traffic stuff but Now Google Webmaster tools give you a basic idea about everything you need to know. If I need to dig little deeper then I goto Google Analytics but in most cases Webmaster tools are more than enough. Google Analytics  is good if you use PPC advertising for your site.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray