Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD vs HDD

SSDs and HDDs are both viable storage devices in today's world. Both have their pros and cons, but each has their own use cases. And, if you are one of the few that still hasn’t jumped on the SSD bandwagon for your operating system usage at least, you should start the transition today. You have to be crazy not to.
(10-16-2018, 09:20 PM)beluga Wrote: SSD are small, fast and expensive (120gb SSD run for about $30). HDD are big, slow, and cheap (500gb for $25 to $50). What are your experiences, pros and cons, with either? Is it better to use only one, the other, or a combination of both? Other storage options (cloud, hybrid, external, etc)?

SSDs are the best choice hands down. I have installed SSDs in 5-6-year-old CPUs and laptops and I have experienced a major performance boost in OS performance. Many of my friends who were willing to sell their old machines upgraded from HDD to SSD on my advice and they are happy using their machines now.

I have been using Intel SSD for my main PC and ADATA SSD for all other PC (I have 3 of them) and I achieve a boot time of 15-25 seconds on all my machines (new and old)
(09-30-2020, 01:13 AM)arrnaya Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 09:20 PM)beluga Wrote: SSD are small, fast and expensive (120gb SSD run for about $30). HDD are big, slow, and cheap (500gb for $25 to $50). What are your experiences, pros and cons, with either? Is it better to use only one, the other, or a combination of both? Other storage options (cloud, hybrid, external, etc)?

SSDs are the best choice hands down. I have installed SSDs in 5-6-year-old CPUs and laptops and I have experienced a major performance boost in OS performance. Many of my friends who were willing to sell their old machines upgraded from HDD to SSD on my advice and they are happy using their machines now.

I have been using Intel SSD for my main PC and ADATA SSD for all other PC (I have 3 of them) and I achieve a boot time of 15-25 seconds on all my machines (new and old) 

I love SSDs as well. The only use case that I think of where hard drives are still appropriate is if you have a large amount of data that needs to be stored, but the data does not change very often. Websites such as YouTube (although they have massive writes, they probably don't change once the videos are encoded), or backup services. But due to laws of physics, I don't think they are able to improve their capacities quickly, like they did before. SSDs may run into this issue too, hopefully the scientists will come up with a solution soon!

Steve
[-] The following 1 user Likes chiyancheung's post:
  • Genesis