Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lightweight linux programs and applications?

I favor smaller, lighter, simpler and minimalistic programs whenever- if I can help it. I'm constantly watching how much CPU is doing what and what the temperature is on conky.

What are your favorite preferred ones and they still maintained or still functional?  I am on the hunt for anything I can switch to for terminal, sound, programming, internet, office, file manager, image viewers, etc.

There's loads of options and alternatives. For example, vim or nano, rxvt or st?
You haven't told us what your favourite programs are for lightweight - so you first @beluga. Which are your favourite programs for being lightweight, and how are they lightweight?
(10-18-2018, 08:19 AM)Genesis Wrote: You haven't told us what your favourite programs are for lightweight - so you first @beluga. Which are your favourite programs for being lightweight, and how are they lightweight?

I'm not sure yet what my favorites are! I have been using AbiWord lately instead of LibreWriter and it does what it needs to--it can save documents as .PDF now! I think that was a problem before that had to be solved via plug-ins. It's barebones compared to a full office suite but I don't need spreadsheets or powerpoint presentations. I will have to look at leafpad again

I'm also using urxvt-- it's distraction-free compared to the terminals that have that translucent window thing going on. I was using LXTerminal but I think text looks nicer/clearer in urxvt (some aren't a fan of the wider text but I don't know if it affects anything other than aesthetic). I have no experience in using st so I have no thoughts on it yet. Supposedly it doesn't use much more than 8mb

Using mpv for music, I was using Clementine then VLC for a while but they're very cluttered. I'm not sure if I love mpv but it definitely isn't cluttered. I would like to hear about this in particular, there are so many options for music players and most of the time they're described as lightweight but I need one that is definitely for sure lighter than the rest. mpv does have playlists- you just cant see them unless you click the arrow to skip to the next one. It's nice because it does the thing-- plays music and nothing else like lyrics, last.fm, scrobbling, and whatever those frills are.

I do a lot of multi-tasking so it helps to use the lightest things. I'm currently also doing a bit of coding in Geany because , but should I try vim or gedit assuming those are lighter than most? Just like music players there's a lot of options for programming too. I don't know how significant the CPU/RAM usage is between all of them. I heard eclipse, atom, and sublime were on the heavy side so I haven't tried them.
(10-18-2018, 09:58 PM)beluga Wrote: I'm currently also doing a bit of coding in Geany because , but should I try vim or gedit assuming those are lighter than most? 
I'm also a fan of Geany. I use it for most coding (HTML, PHP, C++). I've even got a hacked version of Geany set up for my adventure game's scripting language. For text and simpler things I often prefer gedit (preferably the older versions where the search bar doesn't disappear).