Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clear Linux, Intel's performance OS

So about a year or two ago, Intel has been developing their own Linux OS known as Clear Linux.

this OS is designed for Intel-based CPUs and aims for high performance, in which it delivers it appears to be one of the fastest OS out there beating Ubuntu in a few benchmarks. It is however rather limited in support it uses it's own swupd rather than apt-get or yum to install packages which are small compared to those. Graphics support is a little limited as well only recently has the OS made support for OpenGL mesa with AMD's new cards.

Since I have an Intel based machine and so do the university computers. I decided to install the OS on an ext HDD and give it a go. I like it so far you start with no GUI as it can also be used as a server but I installed its GNOME. I really like the theme and simplicity of the GUI. unfortunately for me, my old r9 390 doesn't like it and causes it to crash and I can't install the drivers because of the lack of support. However, on the computer labs, it runs fine with their NVIDIA cards. it does have support for steam as it uses FlatPak to download software as well but I have yet to try that.

Even though it is limited I am liking this OS I will enjoy it more once I upgrade my GPU to maybe vega to experience it at home. I do recommend trying it out and even contribute to the GitHub page if you wish to help improve its development.

Barnum Designs
[-] The following 2 users Like Barnum4000's post:
  • Genesis, GigaGreg
For now, it seems to be a really good choice considering its age.

You could also use the OS with an AMD CPU, like a Ryzen or EYPC one. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any intentional performance crimping.
(11-08-2018, 03:14 PM)CHT Wrote: For now, it seems to be a really good choice considering its age.

You could also use the OS with an AMD CPU, like a Ryzen or EYPC one. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any intentional performance crimping.

Even though if there is no intentional performance crimping, they will go great lenghts to provide no driver for AMD products...  Crazy