Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fixing Wordpress White Death

Today when I was checking the Wordpress on my Gigarocket sub domain, I found it shows a white page. This is called Wordpress White Death. In most cases it's very easy to fix. This can happen for 2 reasons, either PHP code errors or memory limit exhaustion. Most of the time the reason is outdated plugins or themes.

01. First thing you need to do is, check if wp_admin page works or not. if it does then login and update all plugins and themes. This should fix the problem. if not disable all plugins and see if it fix the problem. if it does then activate plugins one by one till you find a problematic plugin. If it's not plugins then do same for themes.

02. If login page also white then you need to access the site through FTP. Rename Plugins folder and see if it fixed. if it does then try login again. Update everything and then rename the folder again and try. If the problem is not plugins then you will need to delete all themes leaving one default WordPress theme.

03. Even this didn't fix it then you might need to increase the memory limit. But rarely you have to do that.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
(01-25-2019, 04:46 PM)xdude Wrote: Today when I was checking the Wordpress on my Gigarocket sub domain, I found it shows a white page. This is called Wordpress White Death. In most cases it's very easy to fix. This can happen for 2 reasons, either PHP code errors or memory limit exhaustion. Most of the time the reason is outdated plugins or themes.

01. First thing you need to do is, check if wp_admin page works or not. if it does then login and update all plugins and themes. This should fix the problem. if not disable all plugins and see if it fix the problem. if it does then activate plugins one by one till you find a problematic plugin. If it's not plugins then do same for themes.

02. If login page also white then you need to access the site through FTP. Rename Plugins folder and see if it fixed. if it does then try login again. Update everything and then rename the folder again and try. If the problem is not plugins then you will need to delete all themes leaving one default WordPress theme.

03. Even this didn't fix it then you might need to increase the memory limit. But rarely you have to do that.

Hi @xdude this also happen to me migrating my previous website to gigarocket and after some reasearch the easy way to deal with it was to go to the plugin folder and rename it to "plugin_deactivate". That process will disable all the plugins and you can than revome the "_dectivate" from the name and if everything is correct after refreshing the page  your website should be working. 

After that all your plugins will be disable and is just the case of some time on try and error to check one by one and enable to see wich of those plugins give you the white screen again and track it so it won't happen again.
A few years back I had a problem with the white screen of death, during installation with FileZilla - when I tried to get the installation folder up, a white screen came up instead. This was with a VPS. Theory is that Filezilla caused some changes in files to happen during the uploading of the installation files. What fixed it was to install WordPress from the command line instead of through FileZilla. Since then I've moved to installing VestaCP - a free panel one can load with a VPS, and two years ago VestaCP added Softaculous. I've now got a paid Softaculous with my VestaCP and installation of WordPress is flawless.

Well the most common reason is memory limit exhaustion which is easy to fix. But sometimes it can be errors in php code. Since error display is usually disabled in servers for security purpose we get a big blank while page. White page after upload happens when pages get corrupted white ftp process. Or sometimes you Wordpress zip file doesn't get properly downloaded. This has happened to me in past too. It all worked when I download the files again and re-uploaded it.

@ [b]Kreesher[/b]  It's the same thing I meant by renaming the plugin Folder. It works most of the time :)
(01-26-2019, 12:44 PM)xdude Wrote: [...] But sometimes it can be errors in php code.
Agreed. That is probably what happened when I tried to upload the installation files through FileZilla. Some characters must have become added to the php code during the uploading of the files.

You can get a wordpress site up and running as long as you have your database. Your complete settings will be there in the database. As long as its not corrupted you are safe.
(01-29-2019, 07:30 AM)binil Wrote: You can get a wordpress site up and running as long as you have your database. Your complete settings will be there in the database. As long as its not corrupted you are safe.
True. But sometimes during transfer of installation files something can alter the php script by introducing gremlins. As @xdude already explained. If you can't get the installation file up and running, then you can't get the database to work.

Ohh no, I hate this! I remember that I couldn't get my websites up and running, so many errors when migrating from host to host etc. In many cases that I had, the white death is annoying, mostly, it was caused by me being dumb, while altering the php code for my own themes.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
(01-29-2019, 11:18 AM)Genesis Wrote: True. But sometimes during transfer of installation files something can alter the php script by introducing gremlins. As @xdude already explained. If you can't get the installation file up and running, then you can't get the database to work. 

Not just that. Imagine you have a big site with lots of images, You can get the site running but none of these imagines going to work. You have to sort this would manually. It can be quite messy updating all the pages and posts. This happened to me couple of times. Not something you want to go through. :)
(01-30-2019, 12:17 PM)xdude Wrote:
(01-29-2019, 11:18 AM)Genesis Wrote: True. But sometimes during transfer of installation files something can alter the php script by introducing gremlins. As @xdude already explained. If you can't get the installation file up and running, then you can't get the database to work. 

Not just that. Imagine you have a big site with lots of images, You can get the site running but none of these imagines going to work. You have to sort this would manually. It can be quite messy updating all the pages and posts. This happened to me couple of times. Not something you want to go through. :)
True. That happened to me too during a transfer of a WP site. If I recollect I had to go into the images directory and rename the folder so the older images could be available to the site. That one had me puzzling for a while before I solved it.

Thankfully I don't have that issue any longer for the last two to three years with using All-in-one WP Migration tool. These days all I have to do is at the new destination server to create a new WordPress installation. Load the all-in-one migration plugin, and then load the all-in-one backup from the previous server that you had downloaded to your computer. As easy as that. Wait a while for it to load - depending on the website size it may take some time - and then save the permalinks twice. It hasn't failed on me yet. Warning though, I've only used it with small WP sites. For larger ones I can't say whether it works too - but I know there are plenty of alternatives available along similar lines. It's a very long time since I've moved a WP site from one server to another with the traditional method with the white screen of death.

DOes this plugin works for migration from one domain to another too ? I still use the same old manual method. Download files and upload again. I released if I ever had corrupted file problems that's because of bad net connection. If connection breaks in middle while file is transferring there is a good chance file get fried. Unless it gets over written properly it can become a nightmare. This is why these days I use one of my Windows VPS for all these stuff. These things have 1Gbps connections so its only once in a blue moon you get a interrupted connection before transfer completes. This is very very important when your Wordpress site as thousands of files to go up or down. I use Dropbox and few other services to keep file backups. Always make 2 backups. Also file backups should be compressed so there would be little chance of corruption.
@xdude It absolutely works like a charm from domain to domain. Like it fixes the database automatically. You of course have to change the name servers in the domain registrar first and allow DNS to propagate before it can start. Then once propagated, you just start a fresh installation of WP. Load the plugin. Then upload the backup from the hard disk of your computer. Save the permalinks twice. And it's as good as new. :)

Again, not sure about larger Websites - maybe with their paid plugin there are more features as well. I reckon if it's so good with the free plugin, it has to be phenomenal with the paid one. Maybe the paid one could also be better with larger sites. I've got no experience with large sites however.

You have also duplicator, it also migrate everything and it creates a installer file to include on your ftp nd just run from there.

I tried All-in-one WP Migration tool and really work well in the free version limited to 512MB of size (if I m not mistaken) after that you have to purchase the full version. So long websites maybe better try duplicator.
(01-31-2019, 07:40 PM)Kreesher Wrote: You have also duplicator, it also migrate everything and it creates a installer file to include on your ftp nd just run from there.

I tried All-in-one WP Migration tool and really work well in the free version limited to 512MB of size (if I m not mistaken) after that you have to purchase the full version. So long websites maybe better try duplicator.
True. I used to use Duplicator before the all-in-one migration tool - I didn't always find it as user-friendly in some of the servers - like sometimes it wouldn't work, whereas with the all-in-one I've never had a server that had issues with it. It works flawlessly all of the time.

I've managed to work my way around the 512MB size limitation of the all-in-one plugin by finding an extension to the plugin. Which I wouldn't recommend of course since the extension is from a non-wordpress.org source and I know I'm taking a risk, but the author of the article below has a very good suggestion for getting rid of it by editing the plugin file: /wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/constants.php:
https://ryankozak.com/all-in-one-migration-sizelimit/

This tutorial may be a little better:
https://www.onepagezen.com/all-in-one-wp...sion-free/

Only negative of course is that the plugin resets with each update, so one has to apply the above fix after every update.

I should check the Duplicator plugin again.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • Kreesher
(01-31-2019, 10:16 PM)Genesis Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 07:40 PM)Kreesher Wrote: You have also duplicator, it also migrate everything and it creates a installer file to include on your ftp nd just run from there.

True. I used to use Duplicator before the all-in-one migration tool - I didn't always find it as user-friendly in some of the servers - like sometimes it wouldn't work, whereas with the all-in-one I've never had a server that had issues with it. It works flawlessly all of the time.

I've managed to work my way around the 512MB size limitation of the all-in-one plugin by finding an extension to the plugin. Which I wouldn't recommend of course since the extension is from a non-wordpress.org source and I know I'm taking a risk, but the author of the article below has a very good suggestion for getting rid of it by editing the plugin file: /wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/constants.php:
https://ryankozak.com/all-in-one-migration-sizelimit/

This tutorial may be a little better:
https://www.onepagezen.com/all-in-one-wp...sion-free/

Only negative of course is that the plugin resets with each update, so one has to apply the above fix after every update.

I should check the Duplicator plugin again.   

lol @Genesis if that work you are the man, I have to check that tutorial I try some to see if I could get around the 512 and didn't had any luck. That was why I never really gave a chance to all-in-one-wp-migration, maybe that can change I have to try that and let you know. ( Just checked the link and I tried that method on the previous host I was and didn't work.. didn't change anything and remained 512.. You think it could be from the host limitations? )

Also now I am doing two methods saving the database and ftp files from website to do a backup and also I am saving a file from backup wizard... Since I really don't know if it works well or not from cpanel itself. Did you ever try it to restore from the wizard? It works well and can be a alternative to duplicator or all in one wp migration or still have problem?
(02-01-2019, 11:55 PM)Kreesher Wrote: lol @Genesis if that work you are the man, I have to check that tutorial I try some to see if I could get around the 512 and didn't had any luck. That was why I never really gave a chance to all-in-one-wp-migration, maybe that can change I have to try that and let you know. ( Just checked the link and I tried that method on the previous host I was and didn't work.. didn't change anything and remained 512.. You think it could be from the host limitations? )

Also now I am doing two methods saving the database and ftp files from website to do a backup and also I am saving a file from backup wizard... Since I really don't know if it works well or not from cpanel itself. Did you ever try it to restore from the wizard? It works well and can be a alternative to duplicator or all in one wp migration or still have problem?
lol I should have known you'd have tried everything, as from some of the feedback from the above suggestions, there were always some for whom it didn't work. I'm lucky I got that plugin as looks as though it has been removed and is now being charged 69US$. I still think it's a risk. Anything outside the wordpress.org Website means it hasn't been audited by WordPress, and one can't be sure of updates either.

I'm just thinking by myself now, that the installation of WordPress has become so fast and so easy, maybe it's not such a big deal to import a database any longer. Like when one installs WordPress with Softaculous for example, one no longer has to create a database or database user. Softaculous does it for you. So there's basically just 3 maybe 4 additional steps to do (1) import the backup database and (2) update the details in the database if the domain has been changed. (3) update the config file with the backup database and database user names and password. I guess the latter can have a snag as we no longer do that ourselves with new WP installations and don't have the password - we have to go look for it in the database. So could possibly mean one has to retrieve/update the database password in the database - I've had to do that a couple or more times in my distant WordPress past.

I guess there are many ways of doing it. For me the challenge is to find the fastest and most efficient way, without having to pay for it of course. I know I'm cheating right now and it's going to bite me one of these days. Like in October last year when I discovered that 512 limitation. I was lucky to find a plugin but the authors of that plugin may one of these days decide to update it to my detriment. Tongue

(02-02-2019, 04:18 AM)Genesis Wrote: lol I should have known you'd have tried everything, as from some of the feedback from the above suggestions, there were always some for whom it didn't work. I'm lucky I got that plugin as looks as though it has been removed and is now being charged 69US$. I still think it's a risk. Anything outside the wordpress.org Website means it hasn't been audited by WordPress, and one can't be sure of updates either.

ahah.. you are right I only didn't try yet what I don't know. Yes in my case it didn't work but the manual backup always work so far so good. I just think limit omething by size is a bit creepled. They could for example limit the amount of total downloads you can dom since you download the files to your computer they are not using any of there space. So if on a free version you had 5 or 10 backups and imports/migration and after that if you want more buy the full.

But that is just me if they are doing size limitations it must be, because it gives what they wanted since they never changed that. But if you have more insights and new things like that to test always share and has you know I will try as well..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kreesher's post:
  • Genesis