Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is it possible to make any game run in a multiplayer mode in your own server?

I have started to explore unity, their free add-ons, and built-in libraries. That made me came across some add-ons that can make your single player game made in unity become instantly multiplayer to play with friends, generating rooms so everyone can connect.

That made me think if any game can run in a multiplayer mode with a dedicated server even outside unity.

Does anyone know, if it is possible for single games like super Mario bros., insidious, etc just with the game files installed have some 3rd party software that allows you to create that multiplayer that can connect via private server and play with more people at the same time?
No
(05-26-2019, 12:45 PM)buzzawak Wrote: No
Can you elaborate a bit more why do you think is not possible?
If you are wanting to be able to run a number of instances of the same single players game on a server then yes.
If you are wanting to have players interact with each other without modifying code then no.
(05-26-2019, 10:56 PM)buzzawak Wrote: If you are wanting to be able to run a number of instances of the same single players game on a server then yes.
If you are wanting to have players interact with each other without modifying code then no.

Ok, thanks for giving more information and details regarding your previous answer. By the way, that seems interesting for both possibilities. 

When you say 'run a number of instances of the same single players game on a server' are you saying, for example, having two separate windows of the same game running at the same time on the server?

I was more inclined to that last possibility. Assuming you would have the game files with you. Do you know any potential tools I can adapt to easily code into the game files in order to communicate with the server? For example, I saw some games that have mods to give the change possibilities of all sorts and types. One of the ones I saw was made for the sims 4 to be able to give the game the additional server possibility so two people could be playing. ( That is just possible with the extra mod files, since there was never added to the original game that possibility of online multiplayer). But for a game like 'the sims' makes total sense.

So there must be ways to do that with other games. That is why I am asking to try to see if anyone already test out or know more about it, so I can understand a bit more about the topic.
Ok, so I had a quick look at the Sims 4 multiplayer mod. The mod is written in Python and works by sharing access to one players sim database. So it is not a multiplayer game in the true sense. You are basically creating a number of sims in the one game and then share control of the one database for the sims with up to 4 other players on a network connection using  LogMeIn Hamachi which is a virtual private network application.

Another way to look at it is you are mirroring the one game but have multiply game controllers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes buzzawak's post:
  • Kreesher
(05-27-2019, 03:56 AM)buzzawak Wrote: Another way to look at it is you are mirroring the one game but have multiply game controllers.

Ok seems to be a good solution to go around the original game and files to play the game and have more people join in. Even if you are just given the controls to other players while mirroring. 

The Logemein Hamachi I did't knew it, but seems really nice an easy to configure your own server and having your pc as a host...the big issue is the part of the code to configure all the files in order to add the communication between the game to be able to have the files to add the host ip and port.. in single player games. Since I don't know python.. but it's good to know some of the back office on how they could do it.
Everything is possible with enough dedication, money and time...

More realisticly, no, there is no general formula for turning a single player game into a multiplayer game. The solution need to be adapted to the specific game (or the technology that the game uses). If you have access to the original source and tools that was used to make the game it will be much easier, which is why you are more likely to succeed with a free open source game than some propretary game where you only have access to some compiled and undocumented version of the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Peter's post:
  • Kreesher
(05-28-2019, 01:34 PM)Peter Wrote: Everything is possible with enough dedication, money and time...

Well, that can't be denied.  Drinks

Also yes you are right. If I had the files it would be much easier and I wouldn't be posting here this question since I know exactly what to do in order to make them work in a multiplayer scenario. Since that is not the case, and I want to pick game files after they are built and compiled to their final game form and put those files into a server and be able to try playing them in multiplayer..... my search and quest keep going until every single possibility is burned to the ground.

So far from what I see, there are some mods for specific single player games that allow that having the final game's files by creating the code to open those doors and allow server connection. So there is still a light on the end of the tunnel.
My words based on my old experience so my answer is no why? because multiplayer mode made by the game developer if the game doesn't include it so you can't add a multiplayer mode, or you can create a program to run the multiplayer mod i will give you a simple example GTA:sa made for single player mode but SA-MP released for it, to let players join together, so the answer no and yes if you know how to code and build programs using C++, Java and other languages