Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

linux os

hello guys

anybody using linux os for pc? is it easy to use as like windows?
[-] The following 1 user Likes rave's post:
  • snelson4693
It can't be like Windows as it is Linux. So it takes some getting used to. There are many guys I've met who get a VPS for hosting and then put Windows trial version on it. Some of the Linux VPS hosts who are not that well known, look the other way if you keep on using the trial version past its expiry date. But other hosts are very strict. Depending on how famous they are. Loading Windows on Linux is expensive if you pay for the license and you need a VPS with very big specs.

Loading Windows on a VPS is difficult in the beginning, but once you've got used to it it works well.

On the other hand you can also get used to working with Linux as different, instead of wanting it to be the same as Windows. Once you've got used to the key strokes of Linux and your preferred OS, then it's not so bad any longer. I know there are quite a number of users who like Ubuntu for having Windows equivalent type applications. I guess if you Google YouTube you'll find plenty of tutorials about it in there.
It's the same like switching from iOS to Android: In the beginning, it would be just "different", but not necessarily more complicated. 

The question is: What do you want to do?

If you only want f.e. to play games on your computer anyway, then better stay with Windows. Windows is easier if you want a finished product out of the box. 

But if you're interested in technical stuff and want to see how things work, you can have waaaaay more fun with Linux, cause you just have more options. The ultimative sense of achievement after hours of trying and despairing and your project finally runs... that's worth it! Cool

Just give it a try.

(P.S. I'm using both.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes devel's post:
  • Genesis
(07-12-2019, 04:44 AM)rave Wrote: anybody using linux os for pc? is it easy to use as like windows?

I use Linux (mostly Debian) exclusivly on my own computers. The only exception is when I need to test something on Windows (e.g. to see if a web page works correctly in Edge or IE, or to test a program that I wrote that I want to distribute to Windows users).

For me the free software aspect was the main motivating factor when switching from Windows to Linux. It took a while to get used to but now I have used it for over 10 years and have never really considered switching back. I think Linux is more difficult in general (more effort is expected from the user) but this also varies a lot between different distributions (I wouldn't recommend Arch Linux or Gentoo to a technically challenged person).
(07-12-2019, 04:44 AM)rave Wrote: hello guys

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on an older PC (originally had WinXP) for web browsing, HTML editing (Bluefish Editor and Visual Studio Code), playing movie files.  Only problem I've had is trying to access the DVD drive (think it's a problem in file fstab); recommend a later version.

Linux has a smaller footprint than Windows, therefore you can make use of an older PC that is unusable for web browsing w/ an older Windows OS and get a few more years out of it.

One 'interesting' disto is Q4OS - it's almost a cross in looks/behavior between pre-Win 10 and Apple iOS.  It has a smaller footprint than Ubuntu Linux (I've run it as a guest OS within VMware on a WinXP machine, could do basic web browsing.

One nice thing about Ubuntu Linux - it can access a basic Windows LAN; some programs can even read/write files via the LAN.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rrroberts's post:
  • Genesis
I think I should try the Q4OS. Thanks for suggesting it @rrroberts. It's the first time I've heard of it. Sounds as though it is very light on resources. Just the way I like an OS to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • rrroberts
I am used to Linux RedHat. It has most flexible kern on the market
(08-19-2019, 12:35 PM)mannpaul Wrote: I am used to Linux RedHat. It has most flexible kern on the market

Could you tell us more about why you use Linux RedHat instead of other Linux distros?

Please note that posts like the one above are not Quality Posts and do not count towards earning hosting.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
I my opinion, some distros are easier than windows. For instance Linux Mint. Depends on what you want to use i for.
(08-20-2019, 03:43 PM)Yozora Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 12:35 PM)mannpaul Wrote: I am used to Linux RedHat. It has most flexible kern on the market

Could you tell us more about why you use Linux RedHat instead of other Linux distros?

Please note that posts like the one above are not Quality Posts and do not count towards earning hosting. 

Personally I like RedHat/CentOS because of high level of documentation available. I was certified in RHCE some years ago. We can search the net to find solutions for most of problems we have in case of these. And they are quite stable. 

But most people may not get comfortable with Linux in Desktops because they will be used to Windows. But if their work environment is turned completely into Linux, they will get used in about 1 month provided that they are properly trained.
I use ubuntu 18.04 for my htpc to playing movies in kodi. In windows version kodi has issue and get black screen after switching HDMI. On ubuntu it's fine.
For general use I prefer windows. Linux is less comfortable.
There's a number of Linux variants that are very light on resources. I'm a bit out of touch with what is current and up to date, but Puppy Linux http://puppylinux.com was always one of my favorites. I had a pupplet installed on a dinosaur with 256mb ram that ran circles around an Ubuntu machine with 3 gigs several years ago. It's really unbelievably fast. The tiny OS fits entirely on the ram which makes everything super responsive.

I had some fun with Debian too, which can run quite light if you do a minimal install and add just what you need to it.

Some people may think the only way to make your computer run better is by upgrading your hardware, but I have found downgrading your software can also have a very dramatic effect.

Http://distrowatch.com is a good place to stay current with what's going on in the world of Linux, for those interested.
I have another suggestion easy to use linux system. Zorin OS - based on ubuntu, looks like windows. Official desktop environments are Gnome and LXDE.
Q4OS based on Debian and desktop environments are Trinity (fork KDE 3.5) and KDE Plasma.

I prefer for beginning ubuntu or Mint. They have very goog community, there are many tutorials for Mint and Ubuntu.
Mint Cinnamon is a good choise for windows users. Cinnamon is user friendly and more traditional then gnome 3 and KDE Plasma.

LXDE is very simple and good for old computer. Windows user may be discouraged by the appearance.
(09-18-2019, 03:43 PM)AdrianG001 Wrote: . . . switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint . . .

So, for those who don’t like Windows 10, I’d say Linux is a very solid alternative right now.

Regards,
Adrian
I've been hearing some good things about Linux Mint, haven't tried it myself yet.
I tried installing Linux Mint as a guest o/s within VMware Player on Win7, was unsuccessful.  For some reason Win7/VMware Player gives me problems that WinXP/VMware Player does not.

For new PC builds, I plan on using Linux from now on - Windows is becoming too problematic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rrroberts's post:
  • snelson4693
Ubuntu and derivatives should come with an installer that recognizes another OS. I've used partition magic to split a drive and install Linux alongside a Windows PC, but that's been several years - I don't know if partition magic is still in use but I'm sure you could find a tool to do the same thing. Having a dual boot system is a great way to learn Linux while keeping Windows and any files intact just in case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fitkoh's post:
  • snelson4693
I use dual boot, because I use windows for playing game and linux for editing picture, film and music. Linux has a better environmen, but worse folder orientation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes maiden107's post:
  • snelson4693
Lightbulb 
(07-12-2019, 04:44 AM)rave Wrote: hello guys

Dude I'm looking for the samd thing. I need someone that knows how to use Python on Linux or Visual Studio Code. When you find someone please help me out.

Skype live:snelson4693
Lightbulb 
(09-22-2019, 08:49 AM)maiden107 Wrote: I use dual boot, because I use windows for playing game and linux for editing picture, film and music. Linux has a better environmen, but worse folder orientation.

Lol tell me about it, I'm still trying to figure out how to install the selenium webdriver properly using a server. If you could help I would more than appreciate it.

my skype live:snelson4693
If you want to try Linux, either install it on a secondary computer or setup dual boot on your machine.
Either way try to use it as much as you can to get a feel for it. Some of the changes can be very drastic if you are a long time Windows user.
i love Linux i first started on Centos OS and found out years later after working in the web hosting industry there was a new linux os that put a env inside the hosting /_~username/  and it isolated it like it was its own VPS  then just using other stuff to block access rights from the folder to other folders and i loved it

i knew a guy who use to work for Red Hat  back in the day it was pretty cool
I have and experience of using RPM based OS for Desktop approximately 5 years. I started from ASP Linux and used in some period of time Centos, Fedora and so on. But in some cases it do not have a very fast updates as I expected. Now I am using Debian OS and it is very convenient as well. On of advantages this is a big community and a lot of updates