Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Life changing movies.

Hey there! 

Are there any movies that have had a life changing effect in your lifes? It could be on a spiritual level or professionally, whatever that impacted you in some way.

For me, watching The Matrix made me feel like I was part of something bigger and that my actions will make a difference if I want them to.

How about you?
Hmm, Waking Life, Mindwalk, and My Dinner with Andre all made me think and would be the closest I've come to watching a life-changing movie, but I've personally had better luck with books for that sort of thing.
Ghibli movies are pretty close though. Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke have definitely changed the way I view certain things.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yozora's post:
  • mephitz
(08-14-2019, 02:25 AM)Yozora Wrote: Hmm, Waking Life, Mindwalk, and My Dinner with Andre all made me think and would be the closest I've come to watching a life-changing movie, but I've personally had better luck with books for that sort of thing.
Ghibli movies are pretty close though. Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke have definitely changed the way I view certain things.

I'm quite interested on how Ghibli movies have changed your life. I watched those quite a while ago, and just remember that I learnt to appreciate artwork because Miyazaki is such a genius.
(08-16-2019, 03:06 PM)mephitz Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 02:25 AM)Yozora Wrote: Hmm, Waking Life, Mindwalk, and My Dinner with Andre all made me think and would be the closest I've come to watching a life-changing movie, but I've personally had better luck with books for that sort of thing.

I'm quite interested on how Ghibli movies have changed your life. I watched those quite a while ago, and just remember that I learnt to appreciate artwork because Miyazaki is such a genius.
More like changed my view of certain things than changed my life, but anyway,
part of it is how strong the female characters are. Growing up female, you learn quickly that anger is a bad feeling you must do everything in your power to bury and suppress. When I first watched Ghibli films something about the heroines struck me as different, but I couldn't tell what it was...then it hit me. They weren't afraid to let their anger and frustration show if they felt them. They could even glare if they needed to, something which I never saw with the female characters in Western cartoons. When I read an interview with the head of animation who did Disney's Frozen, they said that female characters have to always be kept "pretty" while expressing emotions , and the male characters don't have that problem. That kind of thinking was probably why none of the female characters in the Western cartoons I watched growing up really let their anger show, and thus I felt that I was bad for feeling angry sometimes.

There are other things, like Kiki's Delivery Service showing me that it's normal to have creative slumps sometimes, Grave of the Fireflies showing me the cruelties of war, Princess Mononoke showing the importance of nature and natural spaces, and such, but the biggest thing I think, was normalizing anger for me. Japan has its problems but in general it's still easier for me to find stronger female characters in Japanese media then I tend to find in Western/English-speaking media, and when they make Hollywood remakes of Japanese stories, oftentimes the female characters are made into weaker characters so they can be more dependent on the men and let the male characters have more chances to shine.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yozora's post:
  • mephitz
The Gods Must Crazy was a really good one. Not long after seeing it I began excising unnecessary components from my life and simplifying things as much as possible.
[-] The following 2 users Like fitkoh's post:
  • Genesis, mephitz
Obviously, "Before the rain" machedonian film is one of the best films ever done. Top photography, and history. But difficult to find in internet, OST is top too
The Pursuit of Happyness

You got a dream... You gotta protect it.
People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it.
If you want somethin', go get it.
I am not sure if I would say they're life changing but they're based on books like a lot of good philosophy. I like the Matrix, the fault in our stars, and limitless.

The Matrix has an interesting philosophy but truth be told I'd have to rewatch. I remember how Neo was given a choice to continue living in a false world or learn the truth. He was told if you take the red pill, you won't go back.

Although, imagine if you were brought in a room with a man offering a blue and red pill and you didn't know what it was (a person whom you've never met before) gave it to you as if it were two options. Would there be a third option and refuse to take any drugs?

--
The fault in our starts

It starts out with a young woman that has lung problems like I believe cancer and she basically didn't care about living and talked about oblivion and how life didn't matter. She met this boy and it changed her perspective.. He dies at the end, but she realized life is still worth living and there is more to it.

--
Limitless (The Movie) is a good one I like. I originally liked the idea of how he changed his life from a drug but if you look further he talks about how he changed his living style, started to do push ups, did better hygiene.

My summary: A complete new life change is possible
One of the best movies I ever saw - "The Shawshank Redemption". Has some of the most memorable quotes. Cant forget the narration by Red when he says "In 1966, Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank Prison." You feel as if some part of you became free. Every quote is memorable. 
Especially the candid interview Red has at the end for approval of his parole.
gp
Did you guys Forrest Gump?
The movie is full of emotions and elements that revolves around us.

Don't let anybody tell you they're better than you.
Those Ari Aster films, Hereditary and Midsommar really blew my mind. I feel like while both those films have some horrific stuff going on in them, the really terrifying things he talks about are personal intimate relationships going horribly and irreparably wrong.  Plus all that magical imagery ... they are something special and definitely stuck with me.  Probably made me more present with the people I love.
There are lots of life changing and motivational movies are out there. Some of best are like Cast away(2000) movie and other tiltle are like Couch Carter(2005), Moneyball(2011) are very good to watch. There are some series also which seems to be quite interesting to watch such as Black Mirror(2011). Everyone should watch these titles. Also please share if you guys have some best titles like the one's above.
Fight club. Initially I had appreciate the plot, but wondering about the meaning of some sentences said all over the movie I began reflecting about the society, the lifestyle it propose to us and so on and I've seen it many times, everyone had find something new. It slowly began the starting point of research and the more it was going on, the more meanings came up to my attention, points of view and not so hidden mechanism that involve everyone silently...

Matrix was also a revelation but the first time I saw it was too young and only after those reflections the sense of movie became clear
(07-13-2020, 01:41 PM)eladkarako Wrote:
(07-02-2020, 03:16 PM)thomasden Wrote: Fight club
Matrix

Yep. probably what most people would answer.
I haven't watched Fight club more than once though,
once you know the plot twist most of the movie does not make much sense,
the fun parts are in the beginning up until the middle (the "intro").

The matrix is always fun to rewatch,
although after the first movie it became too silly :]  

Most people watch a movie to have fun and once revealed the plot they hasn't interest going deeper inside, it is like the difference between who listens to a song and pretends to appreciates it at first time, like commercial music, we should call it marketing music, actually is more appropriate, for its attitude to instantly grab the attention, and who can appreciate more complex compositions, that could be hard to digest at first listening. About a movie, the part when it becomes "life changing" is when one reflects on the meanings (well, it is true about everything), then there are some with strong and clearly denouncing intent but also many others, also quite silly movies have messages inside, it is all about the eyes one's looking at them.

"most of people create alter egos to evade reality, you are different because let yourself be transported"
"and slowly you're becoming... Tyler Durden"
"don't try to bend it, it's impossible, concentrate about the fact it doesn't exist"
"what is he doing!? He can't stop it we're not into Matrix!"
(not accurate quotes :)
(08-13-2019, 11:50 PM)mephitz Wrote: Hey there! 

Are there any movies that have had a life changing effect in your lifes? It could be on a spiritual level or professionally, whatever that impacted you in some way.

For me, watching The Matrix made me feel like I was part of something bigger and that my actions will make a difference if I want them to.

How about you?

After reading your first paragraph in my mind there was only one title jumping here and there:"The Matrix" Biggrin
Totally my favourite movie. It changed my life. I first watched it at 14 and talked about it with my best friend for ages haha