Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buddypress any good?

Hi all,

I've been looking into Buddypress for the social media site. Is it any good or are there other free plugins that work better??

Wouldn't mind some help on this

Cheers
I don't recommend the plugin, particularly if you're not in the habit of researching plugins BEFORE you use them. Suggest you do your own research properly. I did just a few Google searches at WordPress and found plenty of very unhappy users in its most recent reviews. Suggest you do the same research too as I don't think there are many users of this plugin.

I've responded as follows below in the Webhosting Support Forum. Please don't open more than one discussion about the same issue though as that is seen as cross posting and breaches the forum rules. I'm also not impressed that you should blame the speed of the hosting that is given to you when you don't have sufficient research in front of you first to determine whether it is a good plugin to use.

(05-18-2020, 09:01 PM)Genesis Wrote: Moved thread to Webhosting support forum.

Gigarocket's best tool is feedback from other members who have issues, and so far we haven't had any other reports of issues. I checked my own WordPress sites and they are as fast as ever. So the issue has to be with BuddyPress and the plugins it is using. There could be a conflict or the plugins haven't been updated by the developers in a long time. Always a good idea for you to check WordPress plugin reviews BEFORE you use the plugin.

Suggest you test your own Website by first turning off all plugins, and then adding them back one by one so you can isolate the plugin/s that is/are creating the issue. They would be plugins using above average resources or conflicting with other plugins and dragging on the performance of your Website. WordPress is known for that.

What is the theme you added, where did you get it from? Is it WordPress approved? Is the theme compatible with BuddyPress? Did you check the support for the theme and plugins on the author side of the theme and plugins and whether there is feedback on their performance from other users? There is so little info in your support request. I did a simple Google inquiry and found a few links to people complaining about slowness with BuddyPress. You may want to do something similar as well. Maybe it's not a good plugin to use:
Here is one discussion I found:
https://buddypress.org/support/topic/ver...uddypress/

Looks like BuddyPress isn't up to date. That makes it a risk for sure. Not a good idea to work with plugins that haven't been updated by the author in a long time or has been reported as not working optimally:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress/#reviews

You may want to remember also you have a shared hosting account with limited resources. For normal every day Websites it is very fast, but if you have scripts like buddypress that conflict with other plugins or the theme, you may need a server with added resources to compensate for all of the script's flaws as it may create a drag on the resources. It is logical if there is an issue with plugins that it would start to drag on the resources.

Suggest you look at the above seriously, as if your Website is using too many resources it may happen that your hosting account gets suspended spontaneously. There is an automatic filter that picks up on when an account uses too many resources - like exceeding the resources that have been allocated for the shared hosting account. In which case the filter will trigger a suspension by default. You may want to avoid that from happening.
Source: https://www.gigarocket.net/forum/thread-15621.html