Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Joomla or wordpress? And Why?

WP is my fav because it is easy to use and fit my needs. Also making my own themes and plugins is easy, i hadnt use drupal
I like wordpress its eazy to use and with the right plugins it can be made to do alot of difrent things and there alot of plugens for wordpress so the sky is the limit on what you can do with it
I use WordPress for most sites that I'm designing for others just because it's fairly easy for non-techie people to learn quickly and since most sites these days want an easy way to update at least a few pages regularly (blog-style) and aren't all that big on user-interaction beyond responses to posts.

There are plugins that will help with security in WordPress and I've found that most of the hacking problems come from people installing plugins that are made to allow access to your site or add pages you don't realize are there. Always remember to read the comments on plugins before installing them and only download them from reputable sources and NEVER from some third-party site; only from wordpress.org or the developers site. Before you install any plugin, I also suggest you take a look at the files contained in the download. Make sure that the files look legit and that there don't seem to be any files that could be simple pages there to display outside of your normal site. I've seen many email fishing and spam messages that are links to internal files inside a theme or plugin that don't actually have anything to do with the site on which they are hosted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zephyron's post:
  • Genesis
I used Wordpress for years. One reason was the extensive extensions. I could do pretty much what ever I wanted to do with it.
Unfortunately, I was hacked continuously. There seemed to be a problem that I could never quiet nail down.
I switched to Joomla. Not as much flexibility with extensions but that has improved.
I have not been hacked since I changed to Joomla.

We are a small Non Profit Organization. as usual there are always heated debates on both sides of the issues. I personally feel that if we look for areas we can work together and forget the areas we can not agree on, then we can get some things accomplished any way.

Unfortunately others do not share my ideas and spent great effort in trying to keep our web sites down.

I hope that Joomla will continue to improve on site security so that everyone regardless of their beliefs, ideas and thoughts will have a means to express them.

With Respect,

Jim
"WordPress" always!!
Easy to use , comfortable with our needs , super big stock of plugins , highly customizable , Cool Design.
In short - Just AweSomE Biggrin
Wordpress, for me! I've become comfortable with it because it's very easy to use (user-friendly admin panel) and it's got a lot of Plugins that are easy to install. Oh, it's customizable too- I used to make my own WP themes.
Wordpress is easy to use until you try and manipulate it to more than a blog. I always have trouble making it do more of the CMS stuff. Then if you want to write a custom module for it, forget it...

I haven't had any success with Joomla. From my understanding, Joomla is GREAT if you can get past the overwhelming amount of confusion you recieve at first look. I only gave it about 5 minutes before I tossed in the towel.

I personally prefer Drupal. It has a simple interface, you can enable the blog, forum, and any other module in a few simple clicks. If you want to write your own custom module, it is simple. The only thing you rally have to learn is the Drupal hook system. Other than that you can use PHP or Java for your scripts.
I use WordPress, although in all honesty I haven't tried Joomla. I think WP is just more user-friendly, easily understood, and very customizable.
I use WordPress, has more features than Joomla and more skins to choose from, more user-friendly.
Joolma firstly uses.responsive design, WordPress also. That is the reason why I need to really study them. Personally I prefer WordPress. I follow Xoops for many years. I can say all.version before 2.57 there are always bugs. I hope 2.60 would bring me big surprise.
Joomla is kinda boring and you need some serious skills and patience to handle joomla whereas wordpress has all the necessary things and is growing amazingly fast and very simple to understand. I can build a e-commerce website in few hours using wordpress rather than fiddling for days in Joomla.
WordPress most definitely! JOOMLA used to be my go-to CMS for "magazine style" sites, but WordPress fits these clients perfectly now. My clients prefer the Admin in WP too as it's much easier to navigate.
WordPress
Wordpress because it's easily customizable and has a lot of themes and plugins and is great for any type of site
I've only ever used wordpress and for most things it is pretty good I did try woo commerce and while it was good it just lacked compared to what many of the other ecommerce platforms. But for blogging nad general content manaement you can do alot with wordpress and it's plugins.
Dutchbarnheadshop.co.uk - Best Product Best Service Best Price
Ubuntuparty.co.uk - Ubuntu Party UK
For me the interface of joomla is too complex for most of the people. If you are an administrator dealing with the system every day, then it is for sure no problem, but for all contenter and others writing it is really verynsimple in wordpress.

I would say you can to everything with wordpress today.
i prefer wordpress cause has more user friendly interfance than joomla i think.
Wordpress, although I've only had a few (pretty bad) experiences with Joomla, and I've been meaning to, but have yet to try Drupal.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
(01-25-2015, 07:08 AM)Yozora Wrote: Wordpress, although I've only had a few (pretty bad) experiences with Joomla, and I've been meaning to, but have yet to try Drupal.
What happened with Joomla? I haven't used Joomla myself, but one major issue that happened with two people I know was with security where the e-mail boxes got hacked into. They hadn't updated their software as regularly as they should have.
Joomla is the best but WordPress is great.

I prefer Wordpress, cause it easy to use. Also have more plugin and themes. Wordpress the best solution for SEO.
@Genesis
Oh, nothing that bad, thankfully! I just found it kind of a nightmare to use and spent way more time than I should have trying to find a certain setting or other. It's been a while since I used it though, so it might have changed.
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
From what I've heard it it's still a bit non-user friendly. I'm the same. I tend to stick with things that take the least amount of time production wise relative to the output I want. WordPress seems to work fine for me especially when I discovered really great security plugins. The Dashboard could probably be improved a little, but once one has the hang of it, it becomes effortless.
Ever since I had started using Wordpress I haven't bother to try other CMSs like Joomla. I tried Joomla because testing Wordpress and found it's hard to use and not so user friendly. Wordpress is very user friendly and easy to use. Another thing is Wodpress has thousands of plugins for everything unlike Joomla.

So I haven't used anything else for years and I don't think I would bother unless Wordpress developer abandon the project. That's not going to happen, I'm pretty sure ! Rolleyes
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
Word press is best for learner and any one in future who edits your site..........

if u are bored with wordpress u can use another one.......
(04-23-2015, 10:49 AM)krk.infotech Wrote: Word press is best for learner and any one in future who edits your site..........
Not true. There are Fortune 500 companies who are using Word Press. You can check them out at the link below:

https://wordpress.com/notable-users/
wordpress ! you can find free stuffs like plugins etc. Joomla must pay for cool stuf
joomla because you can customize it better than wordpress
This is one of the most asked question in Internet history and still there are need to ask it and answer it again
and again, ha...
I've been active Joomla and WordPress user for over four years. About two years ago I drop it and completely
devoted my self to WordPress. Now I am a WordPress developer and intend to stay with it for a long time.
This does not mean that Joomla is not good or god forbid that is bad, it only means that WordPress is able to be
adjusted to almost anyone's need really quickly and you can set it for almost every user with all kinds of
experience levels, so they can manage it. And most of us who are Web designers or developers and who deal with
clients it is most grateful choice to use it.

There is only a few percents of "big" clients who need demanding web platforms for their Websites and
presentations and they will hire big Web design studios or companies to set it all to their needs, and those
studios or companies will create original scripts for them. But All other clients over 90% of internet websites
and presentations need quick stable and simple to use platform. Only WordPress can fulfill it.

I'm not say it that it is perfect but all other platforms are more complex or bug woundarable or less stable then
WordPress. That is why almost 30% of Internet Websites are using WordPress platform. Simply as that.

1. You can install it in just literally few minutes!

2. You can update any part of it in a most simple and quickest way. (try updating or upgrading Joomla ?!)

3. Installing new plugin or theme is really the simplest task, because you can just upload it and that's it.

4. Admin area is probably the best part of it. So simple to use, that I can call it perfect.
Adding a new entry (posts or pages) are quick.

5. There is a lot of extensions both free and paid, propably the most amongst all other CMS ...

6. For developers there is absolutely the best online manual on the Internet - WordPress Codex.

There is also a few missing or not so good things about it, like user managment (same as joomla) ...I'm
talkiing about WordPress core.

Conclusion: There is no, not even close other CMS or any other kind of Web building, developing,
designing ...platforms like WordPress. That's just the way it is.

On the other hand, Joomla has almost everything that WordPress does, but it's a bit more complex, not so stable and there is always some bug complication. Updating or upgrading Joomla can be a real nightmare, Installing Joomla is more complex too. And after all Joomla is suppose to be used for a more massive and complex Web sites and presentations such as Portals, news ...it means you will have less clients and bigger competition, because such clients are news publishing companies, Big trademarks ...and they are always rather hire big studios and companies too...

Joomla has much extensions to offer, maybe as much as WordPress, but it's not that easy to adjust them to clients needs as you can do with WordPress extensions...

It's up to you, but my vote goes to - WORDPRESS!
Do not expect from others what you are not willing to do yourself!
----------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to read Forum Rules.
----------------------------------------------------------
Premium MyBB Themes - Webmasters Forum
(06-27-2015, 11:48 AM)misharnet Wrote: Updating or upgrading Joomla can be a real nightmare, Installing Joomla is more complex too. And after all Joomla is suppose to be used for a more massive and complex Web sites and presentations such as Portals, news ...it means you will have less clients and bigger competition, because such clients are news publishing companies, Big trademarks ...and they are always rather hire big studios and companies too...
Great post Misharnet and particularly enjoyed the info about Joomla. I tried some basic Joomla at one stage but you're right, it's complex enough that one can't do Joomla superficially, like one could with WordPress. People of all knowledge levels can use WordPress, whereas with Joomla one has to spend hours developing a learning curve.

Now I've got a question for you about Joomla. From a Staff point of view. I've come across numerous instances where people's admin e-mail accounts have been hacked and huge number of spam e-mails were sent from countries like Ukraine etc. Do you have a remedy for it other than of course regular security updates. As you mentioned in your post, it is VERY complicated to upgrade and update Joomla. Also I've found that in many of the cases the people whose admin e-mail accounts have been hacked this way don't even use their Admin e-mail accounts. Is there a way in Joomla that if they don't use their Admin e-mail account it could be disabled or protected from hackers? Also, do you know how those hackers hack those accounts? By the way the hacking is BRUTAL, like hundreds of e-mails continuously without stop. Before the poor person knows it, his/her account gets spontaneously suspended when the e-mails cause them to exceed their disk space.
These days it's really hard to hack emails. Brute Force only works with weak passwords. I don't know if it can be done in Joomla but in Wordpress I don't even use word Admin as a username.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray