Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Joomla or wordpress? And Why?

(06-28-2015, 07:12 AM)xdude Wrote: These days it's really hard to hack emails.
Not in my experience. Not so much the e-mails that get hacked. The hacker - no doubt with a special script - finds a vulnerability that gives him access to the admin e-mail account. He then uses that account to send hundreds of spam posts to victims all over Europe and the United States.
(06-27-2015, 05:20 PM)Genesis Wrote:
(06-27-2015, 11:48 AM)misharnet Wrote: Updating or upgrading Joomla can be a real nightmare, Installing Joomla is more complex too. And after all Joomla is suppose to be used for a more massive and complex Web sites and presentations such as Portals, news ...it means you will have less clients and bigger competition, because such clients are news publishing companies, Big trademarks ...and they are always rather hire big studios and companies too...
Great post Misharnet and particularly enjoyed the info about Joomla. I tried some basic Joomla at one stage but you're right, it's complex enough that one can't do Joomla superficially, like one could with WordPress. People of all knowledge levels can use WordPress, whereas with Joomla one has to spend hours developing a learning curve.

Now I've got a question for you about Joomla. From a Staff point of view. I've come across numerous instances where people's admin e-mail accounts have been hacked and huge number of spam e-mails were sent from countries like Ukraine etc. Do you have a remedy for it other than of course regular security updates. As you mentioned in your post, it is VERY complicated to upgrade and update Joomla. Also I've found that in many of the cases the people whose admin e-mail accounts have been hacked this way don't even use their Admin e-mail accounts. Is there a way in Joomla that if they don't use their Admin e-mail account it could be disabled or protected from hackers? Also, do you know how those hackers hack those accounts? By the way the hacking is BRUTAL, like hundreds of e-mails continuously without stop. Before the poor person knows it, his/her account gets spontaneously suspended when the e-mails cause them to exceed their disk space.

Unfortunately Joomla is well known of been easy hacked, I don't know why those kids (i believe they are mostly kids) are hacking Joomla so much and leave other CMS alone?! It can not be just because Joomla have the "weakest" script ...there must be something I don't know, but that is the fact. As long as you activate any User management system on your site, another nightmare begins with so many spam accounts, but such thing happens with SMF forums too (and I'm a fun of SMF too). Some countries and nationalities are leading real Internet wars hacking down each other sites based on Joomla. I believe that some of the reasons are the fact that most Joomla users are Big News Portals etc. websites...and it's much more interesting to those hackers to break it, onother reason I believe Joomla don't have extensions as goog as WordPress do. It is much more easier to offer Joomla extensions (with less control by Joomla stuff), then WordPress ones. WordPress has much stronger developer community, that's a fact too

Now let me answer your question (at last, ha) ...I will point to just this example: type "joomla admin email hack" in your web search and you will get a tons of "tuts" youtube videos about how to do it ...it's madness,ha.
It is obviously very easy to hack admin joomla SQL Injection ...I'm not that familiar with SQL injections, but
that is the most common answer I got.
Even with Wordpress I use always third party Email Services, now days it's a real battle with spammers, even recaptcha is no longer that reliable. Of course if you need to send a lot of email campaigns frequently, it'll cost you some money, but it's worth, I believe. Or forward your mails to Gmail, that is good pratctice too.
Do not expect from others what you are not willing to do yourself!
----------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to read Forum Rules.
Premium MyBB Themes - Webmasters Forum
(06-28-2015, 03:26 PM)misharnet Wrote: Even with Wordpress I use always third party Email Services, now days it's a real battle with spammers, even recaptcha is no longer that reliable. Of course if you need to send a lot of email campaigns frequently, it'll cost you some money, but it's worth, I believe. Or forward your mails to Gmail, that is good pratctice too.
Thanks for the excellent explanation Misharnet. Haha .... haven't thought about Googling "joomla admin email hack". I've heard about using third party email services too. The solution I'm searching for is how to protect the admin e-mail account when it is not being used.

Wonder whether it would help to cloak e-mail addresses?
https://docs.joomla.org/How_to_cloak_email_addresses

or

http://blog.arvixe.com/protect-email-add...in-joomla/
(06-28-2015, 04:20 PM)Genesis Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 03:26 PM)misharnet Wrote: Even with Wordpress I use always third party Email Services, now days it's a real battle with spammers, even recaptcha is no longer that reliable. Of course if you need to send a lot of email campaigns frequently, it'll cost you some money, but it's worth, I believe. Or forward your mails to Gmail, that is good pratctice too.
Thanks for the excellent explanation Misharnet. Haha .... haven't thought about Googling "joomla admin email hack". I've heard about using third party email services too. The solution I'm searching for is how to protect the admin e-mail account when it is not being used.

Wonder whether it would help to cloak e-mail addresses?
https://docs.joomla.org/How_to_cloak_email_addresses

or

http://blog.arvixe.com/protect-email-add...in-joomla/

I must admit I don't have enough experience about that, especially because I'm not dealing with Joomla for a while and don't want to misguide you or anyone else, but it's an interesting matter to me too, so if you find any useful solutions I would like to hear it.

If you need any specific answers or suggestions about WP, I'll be glad to help. I like participating on forums like this, because People from other forums helped me a lot about some issues I had before, and I'm really glad when I can help someone.
(06-28-2015, 05:38 PM)misharnet Wrote: If you need any specific answers or suggestions about WP, I'll be glad to help. I like participating on forums like this, because People from other forums helped me a lot about some issues I had before, and I'm really glad when I can help someone.
There are quite a number of us using WP so we can certainly benefit from suggestions by a developer. I'm about to start with another WP so may come up with some questions.
Both WordPress, Joomla are free to use, the difference between them is just the way they work. First you can install BuddyPress if you want to create similar site like social, in Joomla because i have not used it i don't know which options more can have with plugins but they are the same powerful cms software which you can create a lot, and with a little knowledge of programming you can create a simple and quick design. You can also search on Youtube to see tutorials and the difference between them and learn more and more. Just search with "WordPress" Or "Joomla" keyword include what you want to do, like "WordPress how to install theme". I hope that i helped you. :)
Joomla has free extension Community Builder and en extra ordinary but premium one JoomSocial.

Main difference between Joomla and Wordpress is the way they classified their Extensions:

1. WordPress has Themes Joomla has Templates. Basically it's the same thing, basically. Both are comprised
of basic HTML and CSS and then you use WP or Joomla platform to build an otput to the page. There is a pretty much differences when it comes to coding one or another, but in both case you need good knowledge of PHP too. Some of the developers have taken it to the higher level and made Frameworks for each of them. But you can say generally that both Platforms are basically a kind of Frameworks too.
Wordpress has the loop and other constructs to get all the content for the page, Joomla outlines all the available module positions.
Joomla modules are similar to WP widgets and Sidebars (in WP sidebar is not just something that displays on a side of the page ...). But I must admit that Joomla Modules are more flexible then WP widgets and Sidebars, but on the other hand much more demanding. But you should never forget those two are made for different purposes! ...Ther is no enough space in a single Forum Posts to explain it in any more detailed way.

2. Beside Themes all the other WP extensions are called plugin/s. Joomla has Componets, Modules and Plugins. Joomla plugins are something absolutely different then WP plugins. Joomla Plugins are literally plugins. It means just an extra add-on to the Module or a Component. Component can have more Modules included, but Modules could be standalone extension too. Joomla extension system is much, much more complex then WP it is the main thing that attracted me to Joomla in a first place, much more freedom in creating different kinds of Websites. Components could be a separate Platform for it's self, like k2 or ZOO ...
But on the end I've chosen WP ...Joomla is much more demanding about everything, from Hosting environment to all other aspects ...it is made for a huge projects, Portals ...WP is much more appropriate for the most of the common Internet Users.

Both are pretty poor about User Management ...basically you don't even have an option to upload user avatar?! ...and need Components or plugins to create good User Management System.

I know this is to General ...after all this just a Forum Post, not a tutorial ...
Wordpress is more popular,so you can find resources much faster.
I prefer Wordpress.
For me it was just the first one I learned to use. Talking with others who are happy with other systems leads me to believe there is not much between them, and whatever you use most is the most familiar.

I may be wrong, but when I installed Joomla a while back to try it out I was immediately put off by not being able to perform updates from within the interface. There was no pressing need, as wordpress seems to do all I need already, so I didn't pursue it further.

Andy
Wordpress.

My first CMS was joomla, but after some time I decided to test Wordpress.
Wordpress is simple and have a good learning curve. Web is full of WP tutorial's and since many people use it, it's simple to solve problems via forums.
My favourite is Wordpress, because this cms is fully edit.

The best plugins and themes ever created.

Good Luck
I vote Wordpress. Simple and modular.
I prefer Wordpress than Joomla. Wordpress more easy to customize, and i think it is lighter than Joomla.
Wordpress all the way for personal blogging Diablo
Wordpress is one of the easiest for use. Many people think that the Wordpress can be used for blogging only, but you can use it to work in many other ways. Also, to install Wordpress on a server is really easy.

Joomla on the other hand is not so easy to use, is far from user friendly.

If you are looking for a simple CMS, especially for blogging, I would recommend using WordPress software. It is easy to install and quick to use.

If we look in terms of potential, I think Wordpress is much better. Being simple and fast when it comes to publishing.
For me Joomla is #1
thousands of extensions and templates gives Joomla unmatched possibilitys to create any possible project

on the other hand WordPress is nice for a small company website and of course for Blogging...

my 2cent
Hello,
i love wordpress,
i use that for my site and you can do all what you want !! and is very easy to use!
Joomla its must difficult than wordpress+

gr
Daan
Many people will choose Wordpress over Joomla, mainly because of the vast plugins available to Wordpress. Aloso, it's very easy to customize with prebuilt templates or even modified templates to fit your needs.

I would go with Wordpress anytime (if I had a choice between the two)
David Morin
A programmer is just a tool that converts caffeine into code
ive worked with both in the past, wordpress more so than jooomla

I think wordpress is slightly easier to modify and adjust, having said that ive seen some amazing joomla sites too.

I suppose it comes down to your own ability to use these platforms, i think wordpress is much better for newbies tho
Wordpress is best for beginners or people who prefer a straightforward approach towards setting up a site. Joomla is for people who prefer more control over every aspect of their site. Joomla might be daunting for beginners, which is why I recommend Wordpress. There are also more high-quality, easy to use plugins for Wordpress.
The wordpress templates are very easy to install. I've learned my template in one day and builded the site in 3 days. If you want to do the same with Joomla isn't possible. Joomla plugins and updates caused issues. In wp I've installed a plugin that check the compatibility between plugins and the template installed. Joomla hhas a lot of extensions, but you must to pay to have the best for your site. The same plugin in wp is free.
WordPress because of its popularity is very well documented, so even if you are a beginner you can easily cope with almost any task. In second place, I would put Drupal on it, but it will be heavier, but you can build sites on it of any complexity, I also think that the database is better than joomla and wordpress. As for joomla, what is the average between drupal and wordpress so I do not use it.
(07-05-2013, 08:19 AM)whsecurity Wrote: What is your preferred cms joomla, wp or drupal and why? Plus and minus for your favorite cms...

my favorite is wordpress, because i use only it. next i want to use jooma.
wp means wordpres w
I could never create Sites with Joomla that could compare to Wordpress. Neither in Design or Functionality.

I hope someday I can program Sites totally by myself, but in the meantime I´m thankful that I can use Wordpress.
I could never create Sites with Joomla that could compare to Wordpress. Neither in Design or Functionality. I hope someday I can program Sites totally by myself, but in the meantime I´m thankful that...