• 1(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

If you win a Free VPS, what would you do with it?

We all know what we can not do with the VPS (or check here)

But it would be nice if you can share what do you plan to do with the VPS, is it a personal blog?, is it a college project? or maybe you are not planing to publish a webpage but to use the VPS in a different way.

Share your ideas, maybe we can help to make it easier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes _Hoh_'s post:
  • Foxkung101
This is actually such a great idea for a thread like this.

It really depends on what do you like to do. For example I love to chat with friends so I thought that I would like to host my own TeamSpeak server. This was such a great idea as I have home users (those who are using it all the time). It is such a great opportunity to do something like this.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like GigaGreg's post:
  • tm9x0, _Hoh_
I'd use it for my collection of Websites that are currently scattered among three free hosts. I'd first experiment for a while though as am worried about safety and security, but so far my VPS experience has been very good. I could do with a little more memory though as think one should have at least 1GB memory to be comparable with what we have at Gigarank with our free hosting speed. Not that the VPS is slow. More like one gets used to driving at a high speed on Gigarank Forum and free Websites, and have to go slightly slower when working on the VPS.
I would use it for web development. A place for testing code, looking at server loads and time to load pages.

Yes, more memory would be great on them.
One reason I wanted to have a VPS was to collect information from many websites and automatically summarize them by my custom script and send email. It is possible in my home PC but I don't want make my home PC keep power on 24 hours.
I'm using mine for expand my PBN. Lots of small sites mostly. But I haven't added most of it yet.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
I would like to place a small script that could help me monitor the availability of IPs that I work with. Probably I will start with icmp but then I plan to make it grow and monitor a few more advanced things.
Well I must admit I wouldn't really know what to do with it, ha?! I have no experience with such service (linux ...), And I feel a little bit embarrassed about that. I would like to learn to run VPS or dedicated server on my own, at least at some beginner level. Can you suggest something or do you think it'll take too much time to learn?
Do not expect from others what you are not willing to do yourself!
----------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to read Forum Rules.
Premium MyBB Themes - Webmasters Forum
(07-05-2015, 06:19 PM)misharnet Wrote: Can you suggest something or do you think it'll take too much time to learn?
I don't think one can be an expert on everything. You're getting to be an expert on WordPress. So if I were you I'd rather get the best host available on shared or reseller hosting, and focus the time you have available in expanding your WordPress skills. Unless you have a passion for Linux. Linux however isn't enough for managing a server, you'll have to develop a whole skills set for managing a server on your own, including firewall, DNS, e-mails, security, etc. etc. It is never ending in the learning curve and can be very distracting and use up all your time when you try and troubleshoot the server when things go wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Genesis's post:
  • java
(07-05-2015, 07:13 PM)Genesis Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 06:19 PM)misharnet Wrote: Can you suggest something or do you think it'll take too much time to learn?
I don't think one can be an expert on everything. You're getting to be an expert on WordPress. So if I were you I'd rather get the best host available on shared or reseller hosting, and focus the time you have available in expanding your WordPress skills. Unless you have a passion for Linux. Linux however isn't enough for managing a server, you'll have to develop a whole skills set for managing a server on your own, including firewall, DNS, e-mails, security, etc. etc. It is never ending in the learning curve.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I wanna learn about that some basics, so I'll be able to know even what are you talk about when you offer me some server configuration or any other specifics ...I know that I can get dedicated server or VPS and Hosting stuff to configure it for me ...but how can I choose if I don't know what they offering me. I know very little about it ...I want to learn so I know things in theory.
[-] The following 1 user Likes misharnet's post:
  • blade38
(07-05-2015, 07:19 PM)misharnet Wrote: Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I wanna learn about that some basics, so I'll be able to know even what are you talk about when you offer me some server configuration or any other specifics ...I know that I can get dedicated server or VPS and Hosting stuff to configure it for me ...but how can I choose if I don't know what they offering me. I know very little about it ...I want to learn so I know things in theory.
Think I understand what you mean, and yes, maybe you're right, you need to learn some basics so you can understand what it is about. You could make it a summer or holiday project. There is plenty of documentation on line, so that should make it easy for learning the basics.
(07-05-2015, 07:26 PM)Genesis Wrote:
(07-05-2015, 07:19 PM)misharnet Wrote: Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I wanna learn about that some basics, so I'll be able to know even what are you talk about when you offer me some server configuration or any other specifics ...I know that I can get dedicated server or VPS and Hosting stuff to configure it for me ...but how can I choose if I don't know what they offering me. I know very little about it ...I want to learn so I know things in theory.
Think I understand what you mean, and yes, maybe you're right, you need to learn some basics so you can understand what it is about. You could make it a summer or holiday project. There is plenty of documentation on line, so that should make it easy for learning the basics.

Thanks genesis. One more thing, would usage of some free VPS for a while for testing purposes be of much help. I know it would be of some help ofcourse, but is free VPS good enough so you can learn real stuffs that you can find on good VPS servers or is it just the "child play" ...ha.
I think you already know the answer to that. Tongue

Un4saken and all of your high-tech Admin would probably also be able to vouch for that. Your real experience always comes with the mistakes you make on "real equipment", the kind of mistakes that has you on the edge of a razor blade to solve it as soon as possible. You feverishly search for answers and think "I'm in trouble" and your goal being just to get out of that "trouble" as soon as possible. Another lesson learned. Some more solutions. Some more hands on coding.

With a free VPS one has an opportunity to learn, but that is obviously not the same as learning when there is plenty pressure on a person to do the real and the right thing. With plenty of pressure I mean your busy Websites that are more complicated with plenty of interaction with people, registrations of accounts, deadlines, comments on blog articles, with more risk for spam, greater need for security, regular maintenance, regular updates, licensing, certificates, that type of activity. Plenty of real-life responsibility and pressure on the tech side of things,
Host my personal website and also use it as a VPN server
Host my personal website and some other experimental thing that i would do
and also this thing is free why not might as well do so Biggrin
Hey guy's I'd probably love to learn how to properly ssh and learn more about linux commands then what I do now. I'd use a server if I got one to store different bit of info on cryptocoins and how hard or easy it can be to mine either via cpu, gpu and ASIC/SCRYPT. understanding crypto currencies and how they work are interesting.
Just having a thought about what other less known things can VPS's be used for, especially linux OS VPS's.
being linux we know that there are a few good telephony applications out there like Asterisk and Elastix (which is just Asterisk with some other cool features), but I was just wondering if the upload and download were fast enough that you could host voip or even other linux based hosting streaming services from a VPS?

also what other things do you think you could do?
[-] The following 1 user Likes rumjar86's post:
  • Foxkung101
With VPS you can host other accounts ... example:

You have a client that needs hosting, you can set up an account for them and allow them to have C panel Access. They can control their own account, emails.. etc. As a VPS client you control that account and can suspend it, promote it, set limits... etc....

Basically like a dedicated server, but you have your own limitations based on your VPS limits.
On Gigarank only hosting a websites or a voice chat such as TeamSpeak or Mumble, for other purposes the resources are too low.

I had always wondered wondered how you could host webspace from one physical ip. does VPS allow you to do that as well?
I still remember the old days when I used to host a few websites from home, back when my dsl was slower than the old dial up.lol
VPS really does give you more control over what happens then what the old webspace hosting used to do.
Yes, you can host multiple pages on one IP, but you need to install the software such as basic control panel to manage your "web host".

i would like use my vps for learn more about linux server and have hosted my own ts3 server
How about... appreciate it and build a great website with WP Rocket, Short pixel, and do a GT matrix speed test to see the awesome VPS performance.

Good thread question.
A few websites as well as a teamspeak server.

Other than that, script testing and learning Linux
(07-20-2015, 12:26 PM)ssamjh Wrote: A few websites as well as a teamspeak server.

You need to be careful with the hosting ts3 server on a low-end vps server.

I would use it to test web based programs and/or set up a server(like gaming server,web server,etc)
That's what I would do with my vps.
(07-22-2015, 05:25 PM)stackfire Wrote: I would use it to test web based programs and/or set up a server(like gaming server,web server,etc)
That's what I would do with my vps.
Suggest you read our VPS TOS Stackfire. Gaming server is not allowed at Gigarank.
You can use it for personal private sock proxy to pertain and tunnel your data securely.
I want a vps because I want to make a ixat server. Tongue
I just read through this thread and now my head is killing me! Can someone get me some aspirin please?LOL I definitely won't be wanting, needing, or asking for VPS hosting thankyouverymuch. Lol

• 1(current)
  • Next