Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

How do you back up your computer and how often do you do it?

External HDD + Cloud backup with mega, mediafire, google drive, ...
I highly recommend installing backuppc and using it with rsync + filling!
I have a txt file listing all the folders that should be backed up and how often and then zip it up and upload it to a drive or cloud , it works better then automation as I can ensure cloning of folders and files worked, whereas automation in the even of failure usually is silent and no garuntee of uploading to the drive or cloud and often have duplicates in the even of recovering from a silent failure which is heavy on space and makes it difficult to sort through what should stay or go.

Server back ups are a different story, different OSs and configuration will determine the best backup option, Docker as a vm is a good way to backup with out being an expert and has little over head .
Well, when i used to back up my PC i would use SyncBack and copy to an HDD (essential files only). The rest of my data was always stored on an external HDD.

Don't really use it now cos my current setup is RAID(ed), so not completely essential to back it up anymore.
I came accros Macrium reflect the free version works fine I have a 2 TB external drive I use for creating images, after I run a fresh install OS, Software etc I make an image after a few weeks of use I make a new image - the second image has lots of my passwords stored, emails setup, etc if something goes wrong you can run a recovery usb and bring your PC back
mportant files should be backed up at minimum once a week, preferably once every 24 hours. This can be performed manually or automatically. Many automatic software options are available that you can set to make a backup at a selected time of the day or week
I don't backup , it is full of old movies, songs, old scripts, and a huge lot of photos 
Why should I backup these when all my work is online
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Martin Luther King Jr
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hazem's post:
  • Genesis
I make delta backup once a week and full sector by sector twice a year
I need to backup mi files, not the entire system so I work with Google Drive in Sync
Never, because I do nothing important on my computer.
But if I had something important - I'd make backups every time I edit important thing.
welll you need a backup of your files you can do it using windows setup
or you can use a file recovery tool Clapping
Due to the fact that I use linux on a pc I made a raid of 1 of 2 disks.
I do not make a backup because for what reason, once I left the disk I put in a second rebuild the raid I'm working on.
I keep important work for an encrypted pendrive.
For Windows machines, I use Macrium Reflect free version - very complete, easy to use and amazingly fast. For Linux machines, Clonezilla is a good solution to clone and restore full drives. Usually I copy the backups to an external USB SSD drive, far more reliable than the USB HDDs. In case of failure, you can recover a machine in a fraction of the time that takes to rebuild it from scratch - just make daily backups (incremental).
I do it on a clean Install only Drivers and just Backup a current State. if i install something or i decide to make a Backup
I have a freenas box with raid 1.
I back my mac's automatically using timemachine and a AFS share in the NAS box, for my win and linux desktops I have a plain smb share.
I used to have a nfs mount on my linux machine but there were some stability problems so nowadays I just rsync to a smb share.

J.
There are two parts to this backup thing ... are we talking about backing up the OS or the data? Cause, they are very different, and require different strategies. I have not made any backup of my OS for months (but I do restore it quite frequently). I backup my data everyday. Doesn't everybody? Smile

OS backup

The prep below sounds complicated. But in use, life is easy for me. I have one computer that gets infected with virus very often (because it is used by customers, who bring their own flash drives). Every time that happens, I run a program that automatically restores the OS. The program asks for no input. I run it, go get coffee, and 5 minutes later, the computer is good as new. It's my own "restore to factory default", but instead, restores the computer to exactly how I want it to be, everything already set up, and it is ready to use. My other computers, require OS restores less often, but when they need it, it is extremely easy to do.

Before I can do this, of course I have to plan in advance, by splitting the hard disk into different partitions. The OS goes to partition c:, d: is for the swap file, data goes to e:, f:, g:, etc. Never save anything to c:. Size the partitions according to need. How big c: needs to be depends on the OS (Win7-32, about 20-30GB. XP-32, about 8GB). It should not be too big, because we will then need more space to store the backup itself, and both the backup and restore process will take longer because there is just more stuff to copy.

I install Windows to c:, install all the drivers, configure and tweak the computer to exactly how I want it, install my "essential programs", turn off system restore, delete all unnecessary stuff, empty the recycle bin, defrag the hard disk, and make an image backup of c:.

The backup/restore is done by a Linux program called partimage, called by a simple short shell script. Use either grub or partimage to select which partition to boot to. Semaphore files indicates to the shell script whether to do a backup, a restore, or just start bash.

Even if you don't have my somewhat complicated set up, you should consider separating the data and OS. Saving stuff in "My Documents" in c: is just asking for trouble. At some point, if your computer cannot run properly and you need to reinstall Windows, it would be extremely difficult to try to figure out exactly how you get all the data off before you reformat that hard disk. Especially if you do not have a second (working) computer to do this on. If all the data is on a separate partition, you can just reformat c: at any time.

Data backup

The data backup is based on btsync (now called Resilio Sync). It is nearly completely automatic. If I edit any file, it would automatically get synced to the other computers. I go to work, all the files I need are there. I go home, they're all there and up to date. When a project is finished, I zip them up to reduce the file count (when file count goes to the high hundreds of thousands or millions, syncing slows down and consumes more resources), and move them to an archive folder (which is also synced between 3 computers for backup).

However, some files that change very rapidly while I'm working on them are not suitable to be synced this way (because Internet speed is not unlimited, and the sync program could cause locking problems). For these, I make a working copy on my hard disk. At the end of the day, I run FreeFileSync to mirror the working copy back to the sync folder.

Note that FreeFileSync is different from btsync in that it syncs between two folders on a single computer. btsync is a cloud sync program like DropBox, but without the server and without capacity limits. It also automatically does a sort of versioning by moving old versions of files to a special location.

For cloud sync to work properly, you must ensure that all your computer clocks are accurate, and set to auto-sync to a timeserver. If they go too far off, you could have data loss. Eg you edit some stuff at 4:50pm, go home and continue your work at 5:50pm, but the clock is two hours off and it actually says 3:50pm. The sync program looks at the timestamps on the file and gets confused as to which is the newer version and which one you want to keep. It will keep the other version in the backup location, but you may not notice the problem and so don't correct it until after you've zapped the backups to reclaim hard disk space.

And of course, you don't sync everything. Only stuff you want to backup. For example, I don't sync 5GB movies I downloaded to watch, because that'll choke up my rather slow Internet connection for hours. We can set bandwidth limits on btsync, but that will only mean the stuff we want to sync will take longer to sync up, if there are a couple of extra large multi-GB files in the queue. If I really want to have those large files at work and at home, I copy them to a portable hard disk and hand carry them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenniferuq1309's post:
  • Genesis
Macrium Reflect 7.  Backups daily.