Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is your preferred language and why

Alright so for web development you can make sites all sorts of ways, I personally have HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, sql.

Why I choose those?

I started out learning HTML when I was 11 years old, I tried to make a page filled with headings h1-h6 and tried to play with it, after I got the hang of HTML I decided to go with CSS and make things look nicer, sure I never liked CSS as much as I did the rest but hey!

Javascript was the best out of those two though, it allowed me to make a lot of cool little games.

Now when we talk about PHP once I learned it I used mysql but then a friend of mine convinced me to use PDO and now I've been using it ever since.

Moral of the story is I started as a kid and It just stuck with me!
I know PHP, HTML and SQL a little, I love to play with PHP, it make me happy if I success creating PHP script that I want. Unlike you, I began with HTML after I graduated from High school. And then I learned PHP and MySql after I work. It is not my expertise, but I love to play with it.
I prefer Dutch, as it is my native language Wacko

PHP tho
(01-27-2016, 12:27 AM)rbxomar Wrote: Alright so for web development you can make sites all sorts of ways, I personally have HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, sql.

Why I choose those?

I would say that you choose them because you can't claim that you're a Web developer (or aiming at becoming one [1]) without knowing/mastering them ALL plus a bunch of other stuff (e.g. SVG for client-side vector graphics, as opposed to Canvas-which is the available bitmap one inside today's browsers.)

Plus If you're a master in JavaScript you can do without PHP by using Node.js server-side as both your server and scripting engine (thanks to Google's V8 JS VM) at the same time.

Now to answer your question, I would say that mine is without a doubt JavaScript. PHP is fine but not as elegant as JS.

###################
[1]- Nowadays it is imperative to be a full-stack web developer to really grasp the mini-revolution that's going on within the Web.
[2]- Among the the Web technologies you mentioned, only PHP and JavaScript are scripting/programming languages, not even SQL. HTML is a markup language.
IN ABSENTIA LUCIS, TENEBRAE VINCUNT
IN THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT, DARKNESS PREVAILS
i prefer python because of diversity on multilevel like full stack
I started my journey in web development using java and J2EE using frameworks like JSF that abstracts us from the Js, Html part of the app. It generate it from the component oriented design of the pages that we make. But in these days i would use JS, HTML5, CSS3 taking advantage of AngularJS to help me with the DOM manipulation. In the server side i can still use Java and i'd like to give it a try to RoR.
I know HTML, CSS, Java and Jquery php

I wouldn't say I prefer one language over another. Each has a pro and con.

Like Jquery is nice for animtion and interativity, but for more advanced database manipulation I would use PHP.
For me I started off with CSS and HTML a long time ago. I didn't fully dab into Javascript until my freshman year at high school. I work mostly on designing forum based roleplay games (and some website designing) so CSS, HTML, and Java have become my best friends.
I´m into PHP, HTML, CSS and some Java/Jquery. HTML was my first love and will always be the holy grail  Wink
Really depends on what you do. In heavy loaded project for machine learning I usually use C++ or C because they are close to assembly so I assume they are faster than python. If I were to make a forum that has to be in PHP because it is easy to modify and easy to maintain. Laravel framework also provides you pretty much all you need.
I use all of the ones mentioned in the OP and I don't think you can compare them against each other because they are used for different things. You can on the other hand compare against other languages that are used for the same purpose, e.g. VBScript vs. JavaScript, PHP vs. ASP, HTML vs. XHTML, ...

HTML (markup language) – Not sure what other alternatives there are (except XHTML which is almost the same thing) so that is what I have been using without considering anything else. I think it's a reasonable language for its purpose.

CSS (style language) – Same as with HTML, don't see what the alternatives are, especially with HTML5 that doesn't have many of the styling attributes that earlier versions of HTML had.

JavaScript (client side scripting language) – A terrible language in my opinion. I much more prefer strongly typed languages such as C++, or even Java, but I use JavaScript anyway because that's what the browsers support. I guess some scripting functionality is useful in order to make it easy to work with but I find that it makes me write sloppy code.

PHP (server side scripting language) – It's good for being a scripting language. It bears some resemblance to my favorite programming language C++. I haven't really considered any of the alternatives because PHP is good enough for my needs and it seems to be what most web servers support and I prefer to use free technologies.

SQL (database query language) – I'm OK with it. I'm far from being an expert in SQL so there are many features (such as foreign keys) that I don't use but I get the work done. I don't think I have used any alternative query language so I don't know what to compare it to.
I learn some Langues and Script-Langues.
- HTML, JS, CSS
- PHP
- JAVA
- C#, C, C++
- SQF

My Favorits are PHP and SQF because there are many projects from me where i used this langues and it's make me the moste fun. ;)
My preferred languages are:

CSS, HTML and PHP. 

They are those who usually use when I make or modify a web page, are languages that best give me and the easiest in my opinion.
I know many languages like CSS, JS, HTML, PHP, vb.net... But my favorite is PHP because is my best-known and I think it is very useful and convenient from web developing.
However, you can't develope a website using only one language, usually you must use PHP, HTML, CSS and sometimes JS together to develope a complete and pretty website.
I always use PHP, HTML and CSS. Also some java and jquery. I love using bootstrap which helps me a lot!
I am learning nodeJS now. Reason why interest with nodeJS, cause it's asynchronous and non blocking.
Despite that JavaScript is the most popular languange righ now based on stack overflow survey.
js is the language that in my opinion is the most popular at the time.
i prefer php and I started my journey in web development using php
i love php css pure javascript for simple cms or simple website.

i use nodejs for
- debrider
- complex app
- server gaming
I like the Python language very much because it is flexible and quick to write. Its biggest weakness is run-time performance, which is often irrelevant these days but is sometimes a show stopper. There are many ways to improve performance of Python, for example NumPy which makes large numeric array processing quite fast.

For edge cases where the algorithm just isn't parallel, I am still trying to learn how to cope. My preferred method at the moment is use of Numba -- it seems to impact code layout the least. It seems to me that the  annotation feature of Python should allow declaring variable types so that you can run unchanged code with interpreter or optimizing compiler, but I haven't understood that well enough yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SonLight's post:
  • Genesis
For normal web developement, I prefer to use the good old php + html + js combo. However if I need to make an app with web interface, nodejs is my way to go.