Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freenom on its way out for me!

haha freenom is so good compared to other websites, it provides free unlimited domains (selected ones)
Freenom takes away your domain once it becomes popular. It's unfair, but listed in the Terms and Conditions. Also, don't bother registering .com domains on Freenom. It is unreliable and is still not the cheapest domain registar, even though it claims that the domains that they sell are "cost price".
I wonder if this Freenom taking domains thingy is true. I have been using 2 Freenom domain since last March and I haven't had a problem so far. I know there are 2 points when they take domains back. If you don't renew your domain then they take it back. Yes even you get the domain for free you need to renew it end of each year. Also if they find you keep the domain without hosting then also they take the domain back.
Software and cathedrals are much the same – first we build them, then we pray
(07-24-2017, 04:21 PM)xdude Wrote: I wonder if this Freenom taking domains thingy is true. I have been using 2 Freenom domain since last March and I haven't had a problem so far. I know there are 2 points when they take domains back. If you don't renew your domain then they take it back. Yes even you get the domain for free you need to renew it end of each year. Also if they find you keep the domain without hosting then also they take the domain back.
I've been using Freenom for many years and the taking of domains go through spurts with regard to the two categories you mentioned. You've omitted one category though, which for Freenom is even more important than not having a Website on the domain. Which is if the domain has become popular to the extent of attracting X traffic. Think the latter one is what gets people upset. They put lots of effort to create a popular new domain and SEO it and just when the going is getting really good Freenom claims it back for a price. That is however covered by Freenom in their rules and basically the reason Freenom is doing this. Getting people to add new domains and add value to the domains. As long as one doesn't use the domains as primary domains and make sure they don't attract too much traffic, also make sure they're renewed when they should be and have REAL content on them, one should be OK with the domains. I use my Freenom domains mostly to park Websites, to experiment and to have fun. As soon as it becomes slightly more serious I change to a TDL or if it is slightly less serious one of those .88C domains. Some of my Freenom domains are years and years old. Some of them have been lost due to not renewing them on time, but then when I applied again, they were still available for free and I was able to reregister them.
Wow, I never knew freenom had these problems. I was also looking into a free domain and found many websites that offered a .tk domain but I honestly got so tired of those and the .tk domain just doesn't look professional at all for some reason to me. So, I found the "wonderful" freenom which apparently offered 5 free kinds of domains and I have been using this .ml domain for a while now and it is working great! Once I get my website fully up and running, I might have to switch to a paid domain. I recently watched a video where I showed that the country who owns the .tk domain is a tiny island with not a lot of money and that they are getting paid for companies wanting to use the .tk domain and apparently that is the island's main source of funding.