Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CDN to serve images?

For some time I keep thinking whether to adopt an external DNS solution to deliver images, or build a "in house" one. I still have not decided yet. 

Today, while I was watching at the construction of site Fiverr.com, I found that they use the CloudFlare CDN in combination with another CND solution to deliver only images, Cloudinary. I noticed on their website that they have even a free package which would suit my volume of images and traffic, and probably in the near future I will make a test with them.

You what do you think of CDN delivery for images? It is a good practice, a bad one? Too much trouble for something so small?
Nothing
If you need only cdn for serving images and you are using wordpress, then use Jetpack plugin - this has a feature called photon which uses wordpress.com cdn to distribute your images.
Nothing
It's better to host images locally, since when you're viewing the web page it has very limited connection sockets to download all parts. So while CDN solutions can reduce bandwidht usage for your host, it can cause some bad expirience for end users.
I use the same cloudflare and with conjuction with cloudinary and on wordpress it works really well. Loads everything really fast. The problems can occur on the host, if you have a bad one it can have some issues sure, but cloudinary for images and videos is a good practise since you can toggle the auto option and it will provide specific image for that device or browser size.

So you always get the best resolution and quality on mobile and desktop devices. No need to overload huge image quality and it does everything automatic for you. Give it a try
I am a little lost on the Cloudinary Credit system.. 
Correct me if I am wrong - for having 1 GB data and 20GB bandwidth you need 21 credits, right? 
What is with the credit with transformations? Are you using transformations on the fly?
(01-15-2019, 05:28 AM)binil Wrote: I am a little lost on the Cloudinary Credit system.. 
Correct me if I am wrong - for having 1 GB data and 20GB bandwidth you need 21 credits, right? 
What is with the credit with transformations? Are you using transformations on the fly?

Hi @binil the credits is for transformation, bandwith and storage but it takes a lot of images even on the free package.

For example, let’s say you need 2GB of image storage (that’s 2 credits), 4GB of bandwidth (add 4 credits) and maybe 4000 monthly transformations (that’s 4 more credits). Add that up, and you need 10 credits.

So you can see the free plan is 25 credits and from that example you can see is quite a good amount. Sure it always depend the amount of images you have but o far I have use it and recommend it for sure. It takes all the heavy lifting of your shoulders and do all the transformation. On wordpress you have a plugin call if I am not mistake auto-cloudinary or something like that and it makes everything you load on wordpress automatcly into your cloudiary and use there link, with transformation and all.

For me is  great tool to have less used storage on the host and it makes a big difference in the end.

If you have time you can also check here more related questions and info .
https://cloudinary.com/pricing
Uploading images also takes up transformations. 

Anyways I have signed up for cloudinary and the free plan is good enough for my purposes.
Curious to know what you chose.

I’m learning about CDNs myself, so I may not be of much help.
I know that traditionally, images were locally stored on the server.