Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How regularly do you make backups of your WP sites - what tools do you use?

I've been spending a few hours today backing up all of my sites, as well as pruning some of the folders on my desktop computer and backing up my computer files.

Was wondering what members are doing to back up their WordPress sites and also their desktop computer? I'm using Duplicator Tool to backup all of my WordPress sites, and lately to make doubly sure have also been using WP Clone. Duplicator doesn't work with the servers that don't have cPanel on them and is also very picky as to the php settings of the server. For my desktop computer I use an external hard drive to make the backup image of C: drive as well as to make copies of all of my files.

As for my sites, only when i am feeling lazy and do not want to odo a rebuild i back up the DB mainly

As for my laptops,
the valuebale data gets a dump every 3 or 4 months
and i load a new OS and either start a new set of data or only copy what is needed.

my emails grenerally follow everywhere i go, so what ever OS i load, i load a VM with 7 and outlook,
I am still looking for something to convert the 20gig's of psts into linux for me

Normality is a perseption based on someone else's jaded opinion.
(12-01-2016, 06:33 PM)Fat_Jay Wrote: I am still looking for something to convert the 20gig's of psts into linux for me

Do you need to convert a big .pst file to Thunderbird compatible format?
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests - Use Support Section.
Don't forget to read TOS.
Never argue with idiots.
First, they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with their experience!
(12-01-2016, 06:49 PM)un4saken Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 06:33 PM)Fat_Jay Wrote: I am still looking for something to convert the 20gig's of psts into linux for me

Do you need to convert a big .pst file to Thunderbird compatible format?
i have one pst that is 14gig's and I am kind of favouring evolotion right now.

how has the Thunderbird project come along?

but i am trying to get myself away from the gui interface, for day to day stuff.

Most of what i want is from the terminal windows and i can swop sessions

Normality is a perseption based on someone else's jaded opinion.
I do a backup of the database including data in a single file with MySql Workbench. Then, I use FileZilla to grab the filesystem via sftp and drop the database backup into the backups top level folder. I should automate this, but I haven't yet. Automation can be done with a cron job that uses the MySql command line client, and rsync.

To restore, I push the filesystem, and run the sql script in Workbench. This could also be automated in a similar manner - probably even easier than automating the backup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smalpierre's post:
  • Genesis
I used WP Clone in the past, but I am changing it to xcloner.
Question for those who used xcloner more: Is xcloner better than WP Clone? Is there any advantages for using it compared to WP Clone?
I'll normally back up my sites once every month manually.

For any of my precious site that I cannot afford to lose, have my own set of automated scripts to backup the database and the site every day and transfer it over to my backup server. It's never safe to keep your site and backup on the same hard disk or server afterall.
[Image: 6798.gif]
For backup and even restore of your site, Updraftbackup plus is quite good. Pretty fast and less ressource hungry than other. On WPclone, they said it might crash some time. But on 4 different server, i do got half crashing lot of time. With Updraft all is ok.
All in one wpbackup is quite good, but it's more a whole site backup. Big plus, it's only 1 file at the end.
(12-01-2016, 03:16 PM)Genesis Wrote: I've been spending a few hours today backing up all of my sites, as well as pruning some of the folders on my desktop computer and backing up my computer files.

Was wondering what members are doing to back up their WordPress sites and also their desktop computer? I'm using Duplicator Tool to backup all of my WordPress sites, and lately to make doubly sure have also been using WP Clone. Duplicator doesn't work with the servers that don't have cPanel on them and is also very picky as to the php settings of the server. For my desktop computer I use an external hard drive to make the backup image of C: drive as well as to make copies of all of my files.

I used very often UpdraftPlus. It worked very well to backup your files to your desktop folder, different "Drives" etc. Now I use Softaculous-Backup which is very fast, and you can download the entire installation to any folder on your computer swiftly, or keep it on your server root. Very comfortable and not time-consuming at all.