Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portable Software: What do you use?

Portable software is one of those things that seem like they would be useful, but I have't really given much of a try. It might be good to remedy that soon though. Do you use portable software, and if so, which ones? What do you use them for? What do you think are the advantages aand/or disadvantages of using portable software?
[Image: gr_sig.gif]
[Image: userbar222222.png]
I do have Rufus available to quickly format a USB drive to an OS install disk. Pretty handy to have, since I don't have to worry about firewall blocks.
I personally use some apps of portableapps.com like firefox, chrome etc.

What I like about them is we have with us what we need to use in our thumb drive without needing to install them on every system we use. 

I am having a feeling that even portable apps will become obselete because there will be apps which work over the cloud soon like Cloud Desktop.
Good Thing! I've used the tool that you can find in portableapps.com. The powerful is that you can customize your preferred portable apps and save it on an usb or in a personal cloud where you have all the tools you need in a personal account. Yahoo
I use brackets, vlc portable and other various applications on my external storage device. I also have affinity on my external HDD which is useful because I can use it on any computer.

Barnum Designs
I use rufus portable for burning isos. I also have wireshark portable and PuTTY portable on my usb.
I usually have a copy of putty and 7zip available in case I need to access a linux box or uncompress a 7zip file.

portable apps has a range of neat apps.
Portable software has many advantages such as to be put in a flash stick, connect it within a computer where you do not have privileges, do your thing, disconenct and go.

It is very usefule for those situations where you are using somebody else's computer.

There are many portable apps such ass firefox, thunderbird, 7zip, msys2 among others
I also use vlc portable. It has saves the day many time when someone get a video does play on the installed video player.
I use all sorts of portable apps as installing is blocked on my school device... It's a pain sometimes but it works. Portableapps.com is my go to (like many others have said) it has many version and is a great resource.
I just use kmplayer portable app to watch movies in online or offline mode! I think that kmplayer with setup files to install is heavy to load for windows and has lag for sometimes! but it has no problem in portable lite version of this app!
The portable apps suite is great especially when traveling and needing to use devices that are not fully trusted. Portable Firefox, VLC and ftp.
Portable apps are useful when the system you need to work on is locked down for some reason. Portable apps allow other tools to be used that are not available on the system, I frequently use Notepad++ instead of the Windows tools and have it with me on a USB stick on my keychain.
(12-21-2016, 04:03 AM)Yozora Wrote: Portable software is one of those things that seem like they would be useful, but I have't really given much of a try. It might be good to remedy that soon though. Do you use portable software, and if so, which ones? What do you use them for? What do you think are the advantages aand/or disadvantages of using portable software?

i use portable app

KeePass, NotePad++, WinSCP, Photoshop, Transmission, RevoUnistaller its really handy to have all of those apps in your OneDrive (or any other cloud)
(12-21-2016, 04:03 AM)Yozora Wrote: Portable software is one of those things that seem like they would be useful, but I have't really given much of a try. It might be good to remedy that soon though. Do you use portable software, and if so, which ones? What do you use them for? What do you think are the advantages aand/or disadvantages of using portable software?

I used the portable software, live cd OS of linux and windows applications. its advantage is use without installation. 
It is not occupying the RAM and well as HDD Space and many more reasons.
I mean if you want something really portable
use a wintogo windows USB
so is like having a hardrive with your full OS in a USb
you can take it an plug it in any pc and it will work as if it was your original pc

if you want portable .exe apps I recommend turbostudio or portableapps
I agree with joesab. The best solution is a portable OS. I have a few usb sticks, Tails is a nice distro to keep stuff private. Kali is handy if you need to do some work on a pc. It's been a while but back in the day I used Ubuntu the same way. 

The biggest advantage is having your full OS where ever You might need it. It's cool for presentations for example. You can simply run your OS with all the servers and services at the client location. People are still impressed with You carrying your full development environment in your pocket.

Additionally it allows You to have a secure encrypted partition to keep sensitive data safe. Linux is king!
Yeap 
thanks for pointing out Linux Sleepwalker
I mean the reason why I sugested WintoGo enviroment instead of a linux is because windows is more widely used across office dayly life

but sure thing
If you ask me:
why I say Linux is infinitely better as Portable system Enviroment to go, 
well then I would replay thanks for asking LOL

here you go:

Linux is way lighter and has a smaler footprint requiring waaaay less power and resources to execute apps

second it is available as a ARM distro too which makes it perfect even for using an ARM Cortex55 o 57 that requires insanely low power
(like your phone but with a full featured desktop like enviroment in your pocket) in a nutshell I can be used to have apps that were once just for pc available 
same as the desktop, so sort of allows you to have a ultra mini striped down desktop version with low power and resources
ideal for pentesting and programing on even your phone Ej Pinephone or ubuntu phone

third Linux allows you tu run thousands of Windows apps using libraries like Wine, Lutris, Proton or crossover
so many apps like word or excel
can be run seamlessy or even modern games ej crysis or fornite call of duty
(theres a free linux alternative for word and excel, is way better than word)

forth you can run android apps in linux with busy box (just like wine but for android) so almost all main OS apps can be run in Linux

fifth is safer than windows and stronger cryptography, way less virus or malware are out there for linux vs thousands if not millions for Windows

6th if you want a prettyr and cooler eye catchy OS
you can have window manager like deepin or genome or even the new eXtern OS interface which is the best one I have ever seen even cutter and more eye catchy than a phone

it can be disgussed as a Windows (just themes in case you use it for pentest) and many apps can run natively withput even installing

LASTLY and most important: almost all software you will ever use is opensource (no strings attached no spying or malware) and Free of charge
so it is focused on youas the user
not into making money by scamming you with more expensive updates and no new feature

nothing can beat that

conclusion
want somethng anonymous secure, highly portable (your whole host full hard drive in a USB)
flexibility  to run windows linux and android apps

catchy to the eye

faster than windows smaller memory and hardware requirement

stronger cryptograpy and even self destrucction

Choose Linux
(as long as you are agree to learn a bit of commands you are gonna enjoy Heaven on earth)
lattey most Linux OS require little to now commandline codes or anything
so it may be worth giving it a try

so would you give up on all those chances and rather stick to bloated, spying, expensive and slower windows full of virus
just for the sake of fear to learning something new?

in corporate cases it ma not be an option por personal
Yeap give it a try

of curse if you just want a portable app for windows then get Portable maker software like
cameyo
turbospoon
vm app to make portables

or just coppy the install directory of you app to a USB (not often but somethimes specially in old software it can be run as a portable)

Cheers bro
[-] The following 1 user Likes joesab's post:
  • Sleepwalker
which ones?
-PotPlayer

What do you use them for?
Watching movies and listening to music

Advantages of using portable software:
1. Save the time of installation
2. Software size may be smaller

Disadvantages of using portable software:
1. Sometimes it doesn't provide full function
2. Maybe not compatible with some Window version
LiveCD OSes are great, you get the performance of a refurbished PC, with the capability / software set you are looking for without the loss / migration from an existing setup.
All the major Linux distributions allow you to make a LiveCD so there's really nothing holding you back.