Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Better way to learn programming

For beginners...

You need to learn a base of programming, do not try to start from any syntax. Use scratch if you start programming. Take any life situation and find optimal algorithm of solution. You will start to see how many approaches can exist for all. When you can find optimal algorithm for anything, go to learn some easy syntax. If you understand laws of programming, you will code on any platform easily. Wish you luck!
try watching videos and look at ebooks to see what exactly you can programme and try doing it yourself also you can check the forums or ask other people for programming advice and help and they could easily be happy to help you out for learning the basics of programming
There is also openclassroom site to learn how to code
Practice is the key , but for me personnaly i practice by decomposing existing code and recomposing something else from what i've learnt !
I always suggest anyone who asks me how they could learn computer programming or become a good computer programmer I refer them to lynda.com's video tutorials as these tutorials helped me a lot.

And if someone asks me which programming language they should fist learn I say Python because it's flexible and easy and compiling with other programming languages python is legit. Although It depends on the type of application they would like to create. If they wanna create any Android app my answer would be Java, if iOS my answer is Swift, if Web application my answer would be HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, PHP, MySQL.
Business Websites
Shop - https://biobeo.com | Hosting Panel - https://biobeo.net | Domain Panel - https://biobeo.org

My online portfolio
https://yusha.me

Made with
in Canada
[-] The following 1 user Likes yusha's post:
  • Yozora
I would recommend learning the basics then moving on to libraries and topics that you find useful. Most languages have load of functions and syntax to remember, which is very difficult to remember. Most of which you will never use.
The best way is to go live in the coders house for 2 days... learn and practise.... and keep learning and keep practising
Well if you're only starting out (html css java ) then the best way as many people said is learn by doing.  

Head over to https://www.codecademy.com and take part in some of their interactive lessons. You'll be guided with hints if you're struggling but its a good place to start for basics. 
After that move onto video tutorials
I've learned coding by working with scrips made by other people and making adjustements. Over time you'll learn how things work. If I don't know something I'll use google and find out.
If you want to be a good programmer than I would say you must have to have great patience and dedication toward it. Programming is like poetry, If you take it as your passion you will get the juice out of it. But if you ask me which programming language should you learn first I would say it depends on what kind of program you would like to create. Although a kick start might be python which is really a good choice for beginners. And if you ask how would you learn it then my answer is in primary stage you can learn anything from YouTube via video Tutorials or in a professional manner Lynda.com would be recommended. And when you come to intermediate level where you will face errors and have to debug them then there are thousands of developers out there to help you so don't be afraid buddy. StackOverflow is out there to help you in this case.
Business Websites
Shop - https://biobeo.com | Hosting Panel - https://biobeo.net | Domain Panel - https://biobeo.org

My online portfolio
https://yusha.me

Made with
in Canada
Fix yourself a goal, then learn everything you need to achieve said goal

and practice

a lot
I tried some books. It takes a lot of time and very poor skill improvement. What really made my skills were source codes which I observed on GitHub. After you got deep into the code, you are not just meet the language concepts, as you could accomplish with your books. But you see the real usage for these concepts, learn best practices.
My way of learning a specific programming language is as follows:

1. Find a full tutorial on the language.
2. Skip the very basics because they are fundamental for every language.
3. Follow the videos coding along so that I will get used to the syntax.
4. Make my own projects to train better. If I don't know how to do something, I always surf in the documentation, as well as find similar examples.
Usually step 4 takes most of the time. Please know that it is not possible to remember all the built-in functions of the language. It is safer to just go and search for what you need when you need it. If you want to try your brain, you can always try those cheat sheets that circle the computing news every now then.

I prefer the video tutorials rather than reading a book. Books are great I love them but when it comes to coding you consume double the time trying to understand the theory behind it all. A person can describe a functionality or a theory in a couple of minutes and you have audio, visual and written format to process. Much faster and efficient!!
Blood, sweat and tears.  Practice, practice, practice.  Many long hours.  Most importantly, you have to be a NERD :)  I don't mean wearing thick glasses and pocket protectors but you have to love technology.  You have to be curious and have an above average intelligence.  

Beyond the meaningless platitudes above you need to first pick a language.  Honestly, it really doesn't matter which one.  My first language was python which taught me some bad habits (i.e. not having to declare the type of my variables, etc..) but overall you really just need to learn the fundamentals of programming.  Variables, loops, methods, classes, etc..  Once you pick a language, try to find a real world problem to solve.  Doesn't matter if it's important.  The first program I wrote was to send me an email every time weather.com changed the temperature by more than 2 degrees for my zip code. Absolutely useless program but I learned a lot.  Don't be afraid to fail.  Try it.  There are millions of resources online so there's no reason to not learn. THis forum is good to ask questions on.  Also, stackoverflow.com is really helpful.  If you run across an A-hole tell, ignore them and keep going.  You are going to break things, but that's part of the fun.
I was in college for programming. The first year was SO BRUTAL. They teach you as if you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about computers
here's a reenactment of one of my classes:
"OK class can anyone tell me what this is?"
*someone raises their hand*
"A mouse?"
"very good <insert name here>"
now can anyone tell me what this is?"
*I raise my hand*
"A f**king keyboard!?"
"No Mr. Ryan, this is just a regular keyboard"
"Are you gonna teach us something worthwhile or should I just leave now?"
"Well Mr. Ryan we must teach EVERYONE as if they don't know anything about computers"
<translation> We are doing a study to see if it's actually possible to bore someone to death
Where I come from I was told If you want to learn swimming we will throw you in a lake. I kinda found that weird but this is really effective as you will be fighting to not drown. You do the same thing with programming, just start thinking of applications and make them.
I disagree. When you want to learn to swim you have a picture in the head of swimming and how you will be swimming. You see others do it and follow the lead. With programming same thing. You need to have a picture in your head of what you are going to program and what you would like the outcome to be. This is how I learned everything to do with building Websites and managing a VPS. I started with a picture in my head and an objective of where I want to be. And then for the greater part I Googled for solutions or joined discussion Forums.
the best way to learn is to do the research and follow the official documents and see the videos
I was programing what i needed and learning as a side effect. It's really hard to sit and learn all those names and APIs
I just think that the best way to learn how to program is just practice. Obviously, with some passion; otherwise just learning by books, tutorials...
(02-09-2017, 09:00 AM)zeus192 Wrote: Hello everyone! I want to ask you how you studied programming language (I studied Java)? I mean that it has a lot of libs and its very difficult to remember all of them. Had you been remembering this libs or you just know where to find necessary information?

I agree with @CHT:

(02-09-2017, 01:41 PM)CHT Wrote: Best way of learning programming is   *drum rolls* doing some programming yourself. This is as stated by the "Rules of programming" as quoted below.
Rule 1: Code it yourself(if there's a need for control or it doesn't exist).
Rule 2: To learn a language, the best way is to code something in said language.
Rule 3: Expect to work long hours when coding.
Rule 4: If you don't have passion and motivation, don't bother coding.

I tried many languages ​​and JAVA is one of them. JAVA has many bookstores, but I know everything necessary to achieve a goal. When there is a need to use a new library, I study the documents, I test it and then I use it in the project.

I do not need to remember everything, because the libraries may be outdated, abandoned or updated with many changes and you will need to look for other libs.

TIP: I like to use cheatsheets near to me and it helps me a lot.

Greetings
to learn programming you have some creative idea  to construct algorithms based on flowcharts to solve real life problems just writing bunch of lines.
but for beggining into sea of programming most of starts from C programming language, but after all it always depends on user's approach, whether it is python or java beacuse if you are interested in app developing then you must need knowledge of java for android and swift of IOS, and python for automating various routine process in system, etc..

so to learn first you need to create interest in some region of area, and then select any one them to explore beauty of programing by built in examples, and then try to make your own from scratch, that it
[-] The following 1 user Likes electrocute's post:
  • pancardo
I would go with udemy or Youtube,follow along and after that try to replicate it by yourself,and then over time it will become easier and you will get use to it,and after a while boom you will be able to do it by yourself,dont make it hard,do it in your free time,like a hobby,not a job.
I learned python in 2 months,om not a good at it,but i know basics and i can write smth by myself,every day i took like 10 minutes at the end of the day,i opened yt and followed along with tutorials.Its easy if you have motivation,dont give up
For programming, the best way to learn is by creating your own projects.

You cant learn by just reading books.

To learn to code, you need to code
(04-09-2018, 09:21 PM)electrocute Wrote: to learn programming you have some creative idea  to construct algorithms based on flowcharts to solve real life problems just writing bunch of lines.
but for beggining into sea of programming most of starts from C programming language, but after all it always depends on user's approach, whether it is python or java beacuse if you are interested in app developing then you must need knowledge of java for android and swift of IOS, and python for automating various routine process in system, etc..

so to learn first you need to create interest in some region of area, and then select any one them to explore beauty of programing by built in examples, and then try to make your own from scratch, that it

Hi,

@electrocute touched on an interesting topic, making algorithms and flow diagrams. It is basic in any development, unfortunately with the experience that I have by working together with other developers of large companies, it seems that they have forgotten that practice and go on to codify creating problems: Without documentation, for those who will continue working or when you want to improve, will have difficulties to understand how the whole project works.

Well it's just my opinion.

Best regards
For me, Youtube Tutorials helped a lot. Platforms such as Stack overflow were also quite helpful.

The trick was to identify a problem that I experienced at one time or another, try to solve it using a programming language, implementing the same using multiple languages. With this, you are able to learn multiple languages concurrently.  Smile
Join Sepcific Diploma Cource or Better Learn From Home through internet :P if You can
Here I am listing few steps through you can learn programming better.
  1. Figure out that Why you want to Code.
  2. Choose the language.
  3. Start with easy programs and be patient.
  4. Use online free training resources.
  5. Try to find out the best coding course.
  6. Try to buy a few good programming books which have basics.
  7. Try to learn coding with games.
  8. Try to code under the guidance of a teacher/mentor/experts.
  9. Then after a little bit training try to hack others code.
(08-20-2018, 06:22 AM)vijayhac Wrote: Here I am listing few steps through you can learn programming better.
  1. Figure out that Why you want to Code.
  2. Choose the language.
  3. Start with easy programs and be patient.
  4. Use online free training resources.
  5. Try to find out the best coding course.
  6. Try to buy a few good programming books which have basics.
  7. Try to learn coding with games.
  8. Try to code under the guidance of a teacher/mentor/experts.
  9. Then after a little bit training try to hack others code.

2. My recommendation is to choose Python. It has features beyond what most "production" languages do: functional programming, strong but dynamic typing, introspection, etc. -- unless you are legacy oriented or want latest research features at the cost of a new and not-so-well-understood programming model.
6. Documentation is good enough you really won't need to buy any books, but there are good ones if you want them.