Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Better way to learn programming

Hello everyone! I want to ask you how you studied programming language (I studied Java)? I mean that it has a lot of libs and its very difficult to remember all of them. Had you been remembering this libs or you just know where to find necessary information?
I have moved your thread to category that it should be in.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
Best way of learning programming is   *drum rolls* doing some programming yourself. This is as stated by the "Rules of programming" as quoted below.
Rule 1: Code it yourself(if there's a need for control or it doesn't exist).
Rule 2: To learn a language, the best way is to code something in said language.
Rule 3: Expect to work long hours when coding.
Rule 4: If you don't have passion and motivation, don't bother coding.
[-] The following 5 users Like CHT's post:
  • ajoo, muvictorp, pancardo, rrroberts, zeus192
coding it's not all about memory but it's practice who make you great at coding, so, just start make simple program or project and step by step improve it. good luck mate, google is always the best site for study. Biggrin
[-] The following 1 user Likes autimurga's post:
  • zeus192
I agree with everyone else, practice is very important, but I think it should be done in combination with taking a course or reading a book on the subject, especially if you're a beginner. A good book will not only teach you the syntax, but also how and when to use it.

You don't need to memorize everything in detail. A good programmer knows how to look things up.
(02-10-2017, 10:03 AM)Peter Wrote: I agree with everyone else, practice is very important, but I think it should be done in combination with taking a course or reading a book on the subject, especially if you're a beginner. A good book will not only teach you the syntax, but also how and when to use it.

Don't forget tutorials. Those are always useful(I know cause I use tutorials when I start on something new).
I know (as I think) structure of language, main construction parts (collections, threads, OOP , etc.) and I know about Java DOCS  http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/ . On some forums I found that every programmer have to know libraries like java.io, java.lang, etc. I know that there are this libs and what they contain, but not every classes and methods, is it normal?
The best way is to set an aim "I want a software that can do xy" and then research what you need to realize it.

In every language there are thousands of libs etc.

You cannot learn every lib and every framework, pick what you need not more not less
There's a lot of possibility to learn programming. Personally I use videotutorial to follow step by step the learning. The best software to learn Java is Eclipse.
In my opinion, you can read all the books and learn all the tutorials but if you don't actually sit down and program on the languages you won't learn much.

For me at least if I just follow a tutorial and copy each line of code word for word I don't really learn anything I'm just copying text. If I want to get better at programming I will give myself a goal to build a program that will do something. This is an effective learning method for me because I have to figure out how I will achieve my goal. I feel more independent on coding and can use my own knowledge rather than copy the code from the web I also become more efficient at my code and realise that I can do a function in a more concise way.

Barnum Designs
I found that while studying for the Z1-083 (Java Associate Certificate) exam, I retained more than when I was going through random tutorials. It forced me to know intricasies of the subject matter which helped my coding tremendously. There is no substitute for practice, so code anything and everything till you can do it in your sleep.
You don't memorize everything, that's what documentation is for. You can hand me the documentation for a language I've never used, and I can probably figure it out. There are common things that a language does. you're storing, retrieving, and processing data. To do this, at a basic level you're dealing with data, control structures, and conditionals. You can set and retrieve data, you can compare it with other data and do things based on the comparison, and you can loop over repetitive items like collections or arrays.

Once you get that, all you need is the documentation. I use documentation every day.
(02-09-2017, 09:00 AM)zeus192 Wrote: Hello everyone! I want to ask you how you studied programming language (I studied Java)? I mean that it has a lot of libs and its very difficult to remember all of them. Had you been remembering this libs or you just know where to find necessary information?

what is the good book for java programming esepcially for android development?
(03-03-2017, 09:20 AM)amh Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 09:00 AM)zeus192 Wrote: Hello everyone! I want to ask you how you studied programming language (I studied Java)? I mean that it has a lot of libs and its very difficult to remember all of them. Had you been remembering this libs or you just know where to find necessary information?

Hello, amh! I really support your desire in learning Java for Android, but I can't recommend you really useful book, because I didn't study Java especially for android. I thought about it but now prefer web development. I'm sure you can find something useful here. Write then about your achievements, maybe I'll deside to study it in near future. Thank you!
(03-02-2017, 05:04 AM)smalpierre Wrote: You don't memorize everything, that's what documentation is for. You can hand me the documentation for a language I've never used, and I can probably figure it out. There are common things that a language does. you're storing, retrieving, and processing data. To do this, at a basic level you're dealing with data, control structures, and conditionals. You can set and retrieve data, you can compare it with other data and do things based on the comparison, and you can loop over repetitive items like collections or arrays.

Once you get that, all you need is the documentation. I use documentation every day.

Thank you a lot for your reply! Now, when I have some knowledge and experience in technology I face another problem that I publicated in new thread How did you get your first job in programming?
(03-03-2017, 09:20 AM)amh Wrote: what is the good book for java programming esepcially for android development?

I wouldn't really recommend a book, as information on this topic can change. Instead, I recommend taking up courses to facilitate knowledge gathering.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CHT's post:
  • smalpierre
99% of the time I'm coding in PHP. And the way I learned was, like everyone said above, practice! Live, sleep, and breathe coding.

Once you've worked on a few projects, you'll start to realize you learned so much that you want to rewrite your code to make it better! And with the occasional searches for certain functions and such, you'll start to learn things quickly just by using it a lot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrTechEdison's post:
  • smalpierre
There's a lot of possibility to learn programming. Personally I use videotutorial to follow step by step the learning. The best software to learn Java is Eclipse.
(03-03-2017, 01:04 PM)zeus192 Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 09:20 AM)amh Wrote:

Hello, amh! I really support your desire in learning Java for Android, but I can't recommend you really useful book, because I didn't study Java especially for android. I thought about it but now prefer web development. I'm sure you can find something useful here. Write then about your achievements, maybe I'll deside to study it in near future. Thank you!

hi, zeus192,

I am not too sure about the differences of java for android and web development, however, when speaking about web development, my future plan is to develop 3d design platform using java (web based 3d modelling), i plan to start with 2d problem and next, proceed with 3d modellling. My plan to apply for research grant and buy server, so ppeople can use the application using web browser....do you have any idea the differences of java for web development and android app?.....yeah..maybe in future i will share my achievements...
(03-04-2017, 10:13 AM)foretribe Wrote: There's a lot of possibility to learn programming. Personally I use videotutorial to follow step by step the learning. The best software to learn Java is Eclipse.

Dispute about the best software is similar to the best programming language (Java vs C#), someone say Python. So I prefer IDEA like more intellectual and smart. It understand what you want to do. 
About video tutorials as was mentioned before, when you just folow step by step you can't memorize it when you try to repeat it in future. Of course practice is the best, but books and official documentation also necessary.
(03-03-2017, 09:20 AM)amh Wrote: hi, zeus192,

I am not too sure about the differences of java for android and web development, however, when speaking about web development, my future plan is to develop 3d design platform using java (web based 3d modelling), i plan to start with 2d problem and next, proceed with 3d modellling. My plan to apply for research grant and buy server, so ppeople can use the application using web browser....do you have any idea the differences of java for web development and android app?.....yeah..maybe in future i will share my achievements...

There is really large difference between web java and android. If you want to design 3d graphic look on Unity with C#, maybe it will be interesting for you. I didn't understand completely your idea, but it's actually perfect to have a goal and try to achieve it any ways.
In larg 3d development the best way to use C/C++ as I know.
It is not important to keep track of all the libraries.
I learned at Sun Microsystem's JAVA e-learning (JDK 2.x) .
Tutorial was able to know the development flow.
You do not have to finish the tutorial. It is useful to remember how to use and find necessary libraries.
If you do not set your goals clearly, you will get lost.
Then I wrote in Java.
My first steps in the programming world were made in my elementary school. When teachers weren't good enough for me, I started reading CLRS (Introduction to Algorithms). After many years of being algorithmic programmer (and IOI contestant), I knew a lot about computers and logic; however, I didn't know much about how to code projects. Then I joined some development teams. First as a pure algorithmic programmer, the one, who was responsible for optimization of data computation. But I kept my eyes open and was trying to get as much experience from other levels of project as possible. I have to point out that I'm a little in love with C++ and C. But for web applications, I'm using python-django. I learned it from many tutorials, documentation and stackoverflow. It wasn't really needed as I knew how to do some serious coding.
There's a really good answer already but I'm gonna tell my experiences anyway.

I see that a lot of people think that programming language is the most important part, I don't really see it that way (at least now). I am currently studying Computer Science in university and have been studying about programming since 3 years ago. What you need to focus on exercising is your head. You need to know how computer works and you need to get used to solving problems. Programming language comes second because really it's just a preference.

And about the "libraries" thing, I don't see the need for you to remember a lot of them. .NET has a lot of libraries and trust me, even an experienced programmer won't even remember what's inside them. You'll remember it when you use it a lot of times. So basically you just need to learn the ones that you'll need the most and you're definitely going to remember it in no time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes muraziii's post:
  • Genesis
I've started basics of Python using the SoloLearn app on my phone, it breaks learning down for basic concepts. They provide quizzes and community support, however, if you don't have the motivation you wont learn. Ive spent a while figuring the language that will help my career and make the logical sense for application (i.e. admin tasks, hobby/pi/web). SoloLearn.com is a place to start very gentle, it covers JavaScript, HTML, CSS, C#, C++, SQL and many other languages, worth a look!
convct
Diablo 
[Image: userbar.png]
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
I think that te better way to learn to program is manipulating strings, solving tipically problems of the manipulation of data, and data simulations.The waiting queue simulation, and so on is usually quite useful for learning
I think there is no anyone who save all thing is his/her mind.
I prefer learn java from basic first and write some notes for future referings
I think that you should specify what filed you want to work. java is very extended and you should go step by step.
Watch videos, read books, try to code some apps, then make improvements. That's just it.
tring to create own project. at first is very hard, but at the end you learn, then you get your better and better with pratice ... try, test, try, test and so in.
I agree with some of the other people, the only way you are going to remember syntax or the functions or the style is by mere practise.

Set yourself some small projects that would get you familiar with the language. from they try new projects or develop your new ones. 

I have sometimes, to increase my knowledge of a language, contributed to open projects or at least tried to read their code and try to replicate the program.