Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hackintosh

Frankly, since Apple's move to intel architecture in the ancient days of the early 00's, the real difference one had has to worry about first, was support for booting from metal. Apple was among the first to use the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), and since, up until the somewhat recent use of UEFI (unified EFI), all manner of tricks have been utilized to allow the damn os to bootstrap. Thankfully, now there are many open solutions, e.g. refind, which allow the use of MBR/GPT hybrid partitioning situations, which can be of use in dual booting, if you already have another os.

As above noted, the problem is finding kexts, or user space modules for your hardware. We have these, mostly due to the fact that OSX's predecessor, under which all the groundwork was laid for the os, was open, called Darwin, Mach Kernel, BSD userspace, not completely unlike what OSX's guts actually are. Unfortunately, it can be hit or miss, and takes some tweaking. There are support communities out there, and I well know googling hackintosh, will bring you right to the forums, where you can strut and fret as you attempt to get your gpu and sleep working, for instance :) 

All said, it can very much be worth it, but one must understand the landscape, otherwise you'll more than likely waste quite a few hours banging your head :)  

It is very doable
[-] The following 1 user Likes tastyfungus's post:
  • Genesis
(02-28-2017, 04:30 AM)seiji Wrote: They are Computers that are not made by apple, but that can run the MAC OS.
Does anyone use it, or ever tried to install it on your computer?
I have tried numerous times so far no luck, there's so much configurations that needs to be done.  I do it for the challenge, kind of like trying to run console games on pc using an emulator sort of thing.

(02-28-2017, 07:44 AM)Genesis Wrote: but I guess people will do so as a challenge
Yeah, its one of my hobby, installing and running different OSes just because.

(06-12-2017, 03:18 PM)Chrisjosef17 Wrote: That might damage some PCs since it is not that compatible.
It shouldn't, its like trying to install 32bit os on a 64bit, you'll get incompatibility errors but that's just that.
In terms of software code etc harming a hardware that would be like putting stuxnet on a plc.
If running Mac OS is a priority and having the ability to easily upgrade your components in the future, as well as having the added bonus of saving money. Then a Hackintosh is definitely worth considering as long as you are willing to spend the time getting it up and running and maintaining it.
5 years ago, i had a LENOVO an i managed to install macOS into, i started with hakintosh beack from 2010 when i felt in love with apple