Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hackintosh

They are Computers that are not made by apple, but that can run the MAC OS.

Does anyone use it, or ever tried to install it on your computer?
Haha! I love that name. Do you know who the manufacturers are? Better yet, I probably need to Google this.

Looks as though it's illegal to make it - but I guess people will do so as a challenge. Maybe this is how they do it?

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computin...sh-1322796
I have install it several times in my PC and laptop.
First thing to consider before installing it is to know your hardware specification (especially wifi, display and sound) and google the kext for it. Kext is similar to driver in windows. And after that you have to strugle so the system load into the installation procedure.
(02-28-2017, 04:30 AM)seiji Wrote: They are Computers that are not made by apple, but that can run the MAC OS.

I have. Easiest way to do so is using a VMWare virtual machine. Hardest way is trying to install it on a physical machine that isn't supported(drivers, BIOS/UEFI, etc).

I picked the easiest way to do it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CHT's post:
  • c0nvct
(02-28-2017, 07:44 AM)Genesis Wrote: Looks as though it's illegal to make it - but I guess people will do so as a challenge. Maybe this is how they do it?

They try to make it illegal, but most countries simply will not accept that "ruling". It's like the time they try to make Jailbreaking illegal.
If you own a valid legal copy of the software, you're free to use it as to how it's meant to be used(like in this case, installing it on non-official hardware).

They can make it such that it goes against the EULA, and thus they do not have to support it. But they cannot make it illegal, which is the point here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CHT's post:
  • Falconwing
The problem is that if you install it on VMWare you will get 90% functionality, if you install it on a PC/Laptop you might arrive at 80%.
If you want to experience MAC OS at its full, in my opinion, you should buy an Apple device.
The Hackintosh only works with certain Intels, it is just very easy to install Mac OS on Intel as it is suited for this processor and probably would work.

[Image: userbar.png]
[Image: polandbar4.gif]
(02-28-2017, 02:57 PM)GigaGreg Wrote: The Hackintosh only works with certain Intels, it is just very easy to install Mac OS on Intel as it is suited for this processor and probably would work.

You meant works easily with certain Intel CPUs, due to Macs actually using Intel CPUs.

There are builds that do work with AMD CPUs, but those aren't updated as fast.
(02-28-2017, 08:51 AM)fyzz08 Wrote: The problem is that if you install it on VMWare you will get 90% functionality, if you install it on a PC/Laptop you might arrive at 80%.
If you want to experience MAC OS at its full, in my opinion, you should buy an Apple device.

Define 90% functionality. If you meant you can't play games on it, that's a given due to the low video memory the VM is given to work with. Apart from that, you're working with "an outdated Mac" effectively.
You do NOT have to get an Apple device to use MacOS, never did and never will. If you do decide to get one, it's because you need the official Apple support behind it and not having to deal with hoops to get it installed("it just works").

Also, define 80% functionality, for the same reason(s) I asked you to clarify the 90% functionality.
It is mainly driver hardware related, you might not have sound, not have wifi, not have bluetooth, not have infrared, not have webcam, not have extra shorcut keys... etc. Both virtual / normal machine.

Also some Mac OS software like Maps might not work on a Hackintosh device.
(02-28-2017, 07:44 AM)Genesis Wrote: Haha! I love that name. Do you know who the manufacturers are? Better yet, I probably need to Google this.

Looks as though it's illegal to make it - but I guess people will do so as a challenge. Maybe this is how they do it?

Compatible parts list, most of the time intel cpu work without any problem
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/january/2016/
(02-28-2017, 08:23 AM)CHT Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 04:30 AM)seiji Wrote: They are Computers that are not made by apple, but that can run the MAC OS.

I have. Easiest way to do so is using a VMWare virtual machine. Hardest way is trying to install it on a physical machine that isn't supported(drivers, BIOS/UEFI, etc).

I picked the easiest way to do it.

In hackintosh if you manage to make everything work, you will perform much better than the virtual machine, there are many kexts (drivers) and tutorials on how to activate sound, gpu
(02-28-2017, 05:59 PM)seiji Wrote: /quote]In hackintosh if you manage to make everything work, you will perform much better than the virtual machine, there are many kexts (drivers) and tutorials on how to activate sound, gpu

I know physical hackintosh is the better performer, but I don't need performance in this case. All I'm doing is trying out, thus the VM.
That might damage some PCs since it is not that compatible.
I do run an hackintosh on a thinkpad x220 (actual triple boot : ubuntu mate, os x & win 10).
I did it to see if it was easier than when i first tried (on a hp mini 311c with nvidia ion graphic) ==> co,nclusion, not that much easier
Now i keep it, if one day i got some interest into trying iOS app dev!
(02-28-2017, 08:29 AM)CHT Wrote: They try to make it illegal, but most countries simply will not accept that "ruling". It's like the time they try to make Jailbreaking illegal.
If you own a valid legal copy of the software, you're free to use it as to how it's meant to be used(like in this case, installing it on non-official hardware).

They can make it such that it goes against the EULA, and thus they do not have to support it. But they cannot make it illegal, which is the point here.

It is actually illegal to install it on non-Apple hardware. It's not because you own a legal copy of the software, that you can do whatever you like to do with it. You don't own the software, you just have a licence to use it on Apple-branded hardware.

But this aside, as long as you aren't a manufacturer who is selling Hackintosh-computer, chances are small that Apple will come after you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation
Such "you can buy that but only with that" is illegal here in Europe; commonly referred as "forced group sell".
You can buy you're software and use it, if the hardware is not "supported", you won't be able to ask for patch/help.
it's like if software makers wouldn't allow you in their licence to run the program inside a VM or an Emulator.

Such licence parts can be valid in Business to Business, but when it comes to Business to Consummer; consummer since way better protected here!
(06-13-2017, 09:54 AM)Stijn Wrote: It is actually illegal to install it on non-Apple hardware. It's not because you own a legal copy of the software, that you can do whatever you like to do with it. You don't own the software, you just have a licence to use it on Apple-branded hardware.

But this aside, as long as you aren't a manufacturer who is selling Hackintosh-computer, chances are small that Apple will come after you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation

Finally back after losing access to my account due to the transition. Anyway, it's not illegal to install on non-Apple hardware. That case you linked is cause the company in question decided to be dumb and attempt to make the OS install on hardware that's not supported.
(02-28-2017, 08:51 AM)fyzz08 Wrote: The problem is that if you install it on VMWare you will get 90% functionality, if you install it on a PC/Laptop you might arrive at 80%.

... or save a $1000 and install Linux and then MacBuntu it with OSx themes... for an OS with its "roots" in FreeBSD - You would think there would be a bit more interoperability. Apple could really capitalise on making their software, as could every wares developer making Mac versions, putting a little more work in to make Linux versions... probably not enough of us desktop Linux users to make it worthwhile... then again, it would be more mainstream if the big software advertised Linux versions... chicken and egg I guess - I'll take my rose tinted glasses off now.
convct
Diablo 
[Image: userbar.png]
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely
There is a VM, but you probably can not get the performance you want.
There is no future support.

I know the word (HACKINTOSH) thirty years ago.
The hardware at that time was called a grape, it was a compatible machine of APPLE] [.
About 10 years later, I used a pizza type NeXT.
I thought that the current MacOS copied the NeXT OS. (This is a joke)
(06-19-2017, 11:30 PM)furukawa Wrote: There is a VM, but you probably can not get the performance you want.
There is no future support.

I know the word (HACKINTOSH) thirty years ago.
The hardware at that time was called a grape, it was a compatible machine of APPLE] [.
About 10 years later, I used a pizza type NeXT.
I thought that the current MacOS copied the NeXT OS. (This is a joke)

:LOL

It is easier to install Hackintosh if you have the same hardware as Mac PC/Mac Book. because it will be easier to install the kext. and for AMD user will have to struggle just to make the installer boot the system.
I have known people to run hackintosh for projects on an image. They have used it to built ios apps as this can only be done on a mac.
If you set it up right they can run incredibly well.
I don't know about the legality of setting up an hackintosh so please don't bash me for sharing my experience with it.

You CAN run a fully featured OSx on hardware that's not released in the form of an Apple computer, but you have to work around it a lot.
A custom bootloader will trick the installation disk of the OS into thinking it's being run inside a real Mac. At this point you can proceed with installing OSx as you would normally do.

Pros: 
  • much cheaper hardware in most cases
...and that's about it.

Cons: 
  • possibly illegal?

• you have to buy certain hardware, mainly Intel processors that are compatible with OSx

• lots of annoying bugs due to the hardware not being strictly compatible

• Apple screens are simply much better than the commercial ones, unless you spend a similar amount of money

• lost of headache if -God forbid- you want to upgrade, manage, partition or dual boot your machine. Forget it.

My opinion:
cool experiment, but it can get very annoying. Not worth it in 90% of the cases.
I've made a few hackintoshes over the years. It can be a real pain in the ass to get it working.
Once you make it work it won't give many problems over time but you can't update as it will break your install and you have to start all over again.
Now I just purchased a macbook pro and a mac pro, it's easier than investing so much time in making things work perfectly.
I have built myself and for my brother too and I do actually own a MacBook Pro 2015 retina model and I can assure you if you do like macs you should definitely give it a try, you wont regret it! Tongue

I personally do suggest everyone that if they are thinkin about buying a mac they should just think over it again and built a hackintosh instead, as it's a much more Bang for the buck. Literally you can customise your computer in your own way install the components that you really need and get an overall good system with reference to hardware. And on top of that what's more advantageous is that you could always swap up your components with latest hardware whenever you want unlike Macs. 

For beginners I recommend try visiting this website - https://www.tonymacx86.com it has complete guides on how to install Mac OS on your pc and which hardwares are compatible with it. For references on actual install procedure you can always do some personal research on YouTube on how to install Hackintosh and how to troubleshoot problems during install. And one problem that I personally came across while install the hack is that don't use VGA ports for monitor to CPU connectivity always go for the HDMI

Hope I did encouraged some of you guys to try creating a hackintosh! xD
[-] The following 2 users Like anix's post:
  • c0nvct, Genesis
That's brilliant @anix . Would be lovely if you could write a tutorial about how you built the hackintosh. Hats off to you! Cool
Yepp i do so.... Running Hackintosh OSX since years on certain laptops. The tricky thing is just that you need look on the hardware of the machine... And in case everything fits, its definately nothing for Computer Noobs...
I use Hackintosh for testing purpose only. Instead of installing on the computer directly, I install it on vmware. No need to have a dedicated computer. The only problem I encountered is that it does not always work on AMD processor. Even one version of OSX works, upgrade to the next one will crash. For development purpose, it is a real pain as some features are available on the latest version only.