1and1.com is it Scam?!

GigaBot

Administrator
I am really worried that I'm gonna be a victim of potential scam from 1and1.com ...now it still might be premature conclusion, but there is some aspects that point in that direction.

Until today I consider them as a big and well known company. I never used any of their services so far, Today I bought .com Domain, because there is a discount on that TLD. I paid and they charged my credit card, but I'm still waiting for their confirmation and after a couple of hours since I paid them, that particular domain is still available when you do search ...I read many reviews and complains about them across the internet after that. ...
Funny, how I read a hundreds and hundreds reviews so far during all these years since I'm active on the Internet...and never read a single review about them. Now when this happened I read a dozen of such reviews ...ha,ha (ha with sarcasm)... :mega_shock:

Now is there any of you who can comfort me with some positive review about 1and1.com ...?!

GigaGreg

Staff member
I'm glad that I have never used 1and1 and I probably never going to use their services because of what you have said.

I am so sorry to hear that buddy. I think that you could wait couple of hours more to see if you got it, but I would be careful, if I were you.

How much did you pay for this domain ?

Snowflake

One of my friends has registered domains with 1&1 and never had problems. I never used them so I don't know.

Email them asking about what's happening. I had something similar happen to me - another website - and they took 4 days to get back to me. Fortunately the domain was still available when they answered my email but I just canceled with them and bought the domain to another registar.

GigaBot

Administrator
Luckily it was on discount so it is just about 2 euros...bur this is not about money, this is about principals ...does really any Internet Company can act that way and what is our potential protection? ...

GigaGreg

Staff member
Yeah I know what you mean. They cannot act like they do now, if they continue their market will go down and they will lose their customers, they will become unreliable, but I think that they are not reliable in this case anyway which means that they are making bad things to themselves rather than to the customers by putting themselves in such situations.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
misharnet said:
Luckily it was on discount so it is just about 2 euros...bur this is not about money, this is about principals ...does really any Internet Company can act that way and what is our potential protection? ...
You could report them to the Domain Registrar. But personally I only go for big name domain providers, even if they cost a little more. I usually take the lower price of the known suspects like GoDaddy, Namecheap, domain.com etc. We once also had someone posting here at Gigarank from Quebec in Canada who was an affiliate for a lesser known company called http://domainelectronic.com/. Took a chance on it, and that worked - but I experimented first.

Another problem with those obscure domain registrars is when you want to transfer your domain. Like with domainelectronic it will be almost impossible to do. But very easy with Namecheap, a little more difficult but doable with GoDaddy. Better check with Namecheap that it is still easy, as looks as though Namecheap changed its Website software. Making things more difficult to change than before. DNS also takes ages to be sorted out. Previously nameservers worked instantly. Now it takes 48-72 hours to resolve.

Noticed that you got a special one-dollar domain with GoDaddy as well, and I agree with you. Took me a while to figure out how to change the name servers at GoDaddy. I still have to figure out how the private registration works. I got as far as at least knowing it's turned on and doesn't show up at Whois.net, but for the rest it's a bit bizarre how GoDaddy set it up.

GigaBot

Administrator
To make things worse ...I was doing a favor to friend of mine, who can't buy online to buy him a Domain name ...I bought my self recently Domain at GoDaddy and discount is just one domain per account, so I saw 1and1 offer ...never mind, one more lesson in life. I just wanted to alarm everyone els on this Forum and to see if anyone else had some issues with them.

Peter

Are you jumping to all these conclusions just because of one domain? I once registered a domain for my sister at a completely different registrar (also discount, ridiculously cheap). Many days went by without anything happening. I then mailed them and told them I had paid and was waiting. I got an apology and soon after I had the domain. They obviously made a mistake, and I can totally understand if it happens sometimes. If it happens very often it's of course different. If you find many bad reviews you should also take into account how big the company are. A big company that is as reliable as a smaller one will naturally get more bad reviews.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
misharnet said:
I just wanted to alarm everyone els on this Forum and to see if anyone else had some issues with them.
I think most people are cautious, and if they take a risk with an unknown affiliate, they do it knowing they are taking a risk. Like a calculated risk.

Peter is right of course. Sometimes you take a chance with someone smaller and you then give them the benefit of the doubt. It may have been an honest mistake. Although I must say with domain it usually works electronically. And there's a good template for most of the businesses, like domainelectronic for example.

Yozora

Can you transfer the domain somewhere else, when you get it? Do they have a support number, or online support chat? If that doesn't work and you're really desperate, you could try complaining about them on Twitter or something. I've found big companies really don't want to have anything negative said about them on social media, so they sometimes respond quicker there.

xdude

I have used them once very very long time ago. Even those days they were the most hated domain name registrar. Not a scam but their business tactics were not so ethical and support staff were not so good either. treating clients like shit. I don't know how it's now but those days it's so hard to transfer a domain out of them. They would everything possible to make it impossible.

I had a bad experience with them and will never go back. Im with namesilo right now. They have been really good.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
JordanL said:
They are one of the worst domain registers hands down
For a quality post credit why are they one of the worst domain registrars hands down? :unknown:

Lethal

never used them myself so can't really say much about them however that above review was detailed.... You have proof of payment so email it over to them and they should get back to you. Depending on how you paid for the domain you can get the money back if its considered fraud but I'd personally like to think its just been a small error and will be resolved by them, not a good start for customer relationships for this company though :(

R

ramapitheque

I used this company, never had problem. they also give you one basic mailbox for free.

Figlet

I've never personally used 1&1, but I have a friend who works there. I've seen them in lots of magazines, which doesn't say much about their support, but I imagine these kinds of incidents can be solved with a simple email or support ticket, as stated previously.

Unless you're working with people in another country, I suggest buying services from companies with close proximity to major cities in your district.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Figlet said:
Unless you're working with people in another country, I suggest buying services from companies with close proximity to major cities in your district.
Never thought about it that way. I'd have thought however that you also get an international friendly category, like Namecheap for me is international friendly. Whereas if I would go for a more country specific Registrar that I may get payment issues. Haven't happened to me in a long while as PayPal seems to be OK, but like once in a long while it does happen. Think it has to do with the way they set up the IP "gate rules" and they may not like my IP.