8GB RAM not enough anymore?

bertelli

Obviously it depends what you are on. Windows 7 with demanding games are very different from console based work.
Working on GIS with OS applications, I never needed more than 4, but, if you want, using only a browser with a lot of open tabs and windows, you can make an 8GB pc swap for memory. Nowadays even Word is a memory hog, so look at what you usually do. Maybe it's a little priggish, but avoiding bad habits can save money and time (and avoid install, configuration and so on).

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Probably depends what you are doing, and also the Internet Speed as the Internet Speed can work against the computer as well. I feel I can get by with 4GB on a 32 bit machine on Windows 7. Obviously 8GB on 64 bit will be much better on Windows 7. However if I were to make a change I'd probably go for a mega change like 24 GB as you are planning to do and Windows 10.

Barnum4000

Genesis said:
Probably depends what you are doing, and also the Internet Speed as the Internet Speed can work against the computer as well. I feel I can get by with 4GB on a 32 bit machine on Windows 7. Obviously 8GB on 64 bit will be much better on Windows 7. However if I were to make a change I'd probably go for a mega change like 24 GB as you are planning to do and Windows 10.

I have upgraded but it is important to note that RAM do not like to play along sometimes when mixing different sticks. I upgraded from 2x4GB by adding another 2x8GB they were the same company and same speed except for size but they still caused problems. The pc would turn on for a second and then turn off and keep doing that until I cut the power and tried again which then booted fine. I had to slightly raise the voltage of the RAM for it to be able to launch properly. That is something to take into account when upgrading.

adamthewebman

I have noticed that "matched" (sold specifically as) pairs in sets seam to be the most stable. Also, memory from the same manufacturer, same specs, same size produced even one day apart can have issues, because there are always slight variances in any component that may not occur except under load. Always do a full burn-in and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

bigdaddy

To my opinion 4-8 RAM for regular user is enough.

16 RAM enough for gaming (even 8 can be enough it depends)

1) but why do you need 24BG?? how did managed to consum 8GB RAM?
2) do you have SSD?
3) are you using virtual memory?

Barnum4000

bigdaddy said:

2) do you have SSD?

bigdaddy

Barnum4000 said:
bigdaddy said:

2) do you have SSD?

bigdaddy

Fat_Jay said:
I have a spread scheet that I have to work with, when i open it, my laptop swaps almost 40 gigs to my ssd hdd, and use the 8 gigs on my laptop,
Using a SSD for mem caching shortings the life and size of your SSD, just a heads up.
Try it one day, buy a cheep high speed flash card, and use it for swap for 180 day
then see how much usable disk space is left

Memory all depends on what you do

5 years ago
8 gig's was good enough for most things

today

16 gig for standard gaming and office work
32 Gig's heavy data work or large graphics
64 Gig's large data relationship and spreadsheet work

mutli thread processesors and applications also tend to use alot more ram
every core of the proccessor that works needs to also make use of ram

I do not agree with you:
    • So setting virtual memory as constant size may help in that case, BTW it is suggested to put the amount of virtual memory same size as your physical memory that you have up to twice in size.
    • You can move parts of your swapping files to another drive if you have another one (not ssd).
  1. 8 GB ram for office and home use? I do not agree, it depends, if you just using internet browsing, music, movies etc. 4 GB can be fine in windows 7/10 and for sure in linux.
  2. If you are playing new games and/or programming (like JAVA) so you can work fine with 16GB (my work notebook has 16GB and I am java programmer that use eclipse and intellij)
  3. But if you a massive user like our friend Barnum4000

django23

I feel like 8GB nowdays is a minimum requirement for any kind of use.
I'm a gamer, but also a streamer and I like to use design softwares like Photoshop and I really feel the need to upgrade to 16 or 32GB asap.
Too bad i'm not sure if to buy DDR3 or 4 modules yet.

Barnum4000

django23 said:
I'm a gamer, but also a streamer and I like to use design softwares like Photoshop and I really feel the need to upgrade to 16 or 32GB asap.

DDR3 determines the socket in the motherboard a DDR4 stick of RAM will not fit in a motherboard if the motherboard supports DDR3 or the other way around. Another note is that motherboards have a limit to the amount of RAM they can have in total. My motherboard can support up to 32GB of RAM anymore and it will not work.

myserver99

I assume that you know that the RAM is working at its full potential only if the rest of the components are hi-tech gear too. If you just want a smooth gaming experience you should have at least a gtx 980 GPU and an I7 octa core CPU. But for average user use, 8 gb RAM and i5 CPU with some decent integrated graphic card is more than enough this days.

CHT

myserver99 said:
I assume that you know that the RAM is working at its full potential only if the rest of the components are hi-tech gear too. If you just want a smooth gaming experience you should have at least a gtx 980 GPU and an I7 octa core CPU. But for average user use, 8 gb RAM and i5 CPU with some decent integrated graphic card is more than enough this days.

Wat
The only thing that decides the RAM speed is the motherboard. Not the CPU, not the GPU.

Barnum4000

CHT said:
Wat
The only thing that decides the RAM speed is the motherboard. Not the CPU, not the GPU.

Myserver99 is saying that you can have all the RAM in the world but the CPU and Graphics card can bottleneck the performance for playing games which is true of course, but I would say you don't need an i7 or 980 to have a good experience.

django23 said:

I still use 4gig of DDR2 and I can do anything you can with my computer. Its not so much the programs you are running, but the O/S you are running it on. If you switch to any 64 bit platform, or Win10, then you need that much memory just to run windows. I am using a 10 year old laptop with windows 7 and 4 gig of ram. I have 3 other laptops that are newer with 8 gigs of DDR3 that I hardly use at all. They seem very slow and sluggish compared to this one. They all run windows 7 on them. 8.1 was a nightmare as on a fresh install, it was using up 40% of the ram. My desktop has 4 gigs of DDR3 with XP on it. Its lightning fast but I have an APP that doesn't work on XP yet until I redo it. But this old girl has seen better days. I am afraid that all my abuse to it is catching up. Working 8 hrs a day with server software, photoshop, Kodi, and 3 browsers open at the same time is taking it toll on it. It hard finding another laptop that can take 2 HD's.