Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GigaGreg

Staff member
A concept design for new Gigarank Home Page, what do you think guys of it? What is good and what is bad about it? Constructive comments appreciated.

gigarank.png

dxverm

I love everything about the design! Just one pet peeve, the text in the package description boxes needs letter spacing or a font change!

Interesting design for sure, I personally find all the centred text a little off putting, better using standard left justified and incorporate a float right in the package detail areas for the figures, great idea though. :drinks:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably a matter of personal choice, but I prefer minimalist, simple design, with plenty of white space. Page feels a bit crowded and not quite sure where to look first - too many boxes. Too many elements competing for attention.

Too much repetition of information particularly in the headings. Better to understate the information in very simple words. Make them want to know more. Less said will have greater impact and will be easier to read.

Content of hosting tables need to be tightened up and lined up better.

I'd move the testimonials to the bottom of the page. Maybe just a link the way it is now.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Thanks Genesis, I have noticed that there is a lot to work on. It is still work in progress. I will work on it a lot more.

Yozora

Looks good! I like how the blue & white clearly separate the content.
One thing I might suggest is make the navigation stand out a little more. It seems to blend a little too much into the blue background. Might just be me though. Overall, good site redesign!

GigaGreg

Staff member
Thanks Guys so much for the honest Feedback. I will be improving it later on this week and put on the final version that could be used in the near future.

jaran

To be honest, its no problem when the theme looks so crowdly but still looks pretty. We can compare your theme with other big company hosting. They are also so crowd but have good navigation for who anyone wants to look around.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
jaran said:
To be honest, its no problem when the theme looks so crowdly but still looks pretty. We can compare your theme with other big company hosting. They are also so crowd but have good navigation for who anyone wants to look around.
I think you misunderstood Jaran. It's not about looking pretty. It's about being effective and getting the visitor to do what you want it to do. You've got to get into the head of the visitor and see what he/she wants and then create a design that matches. Not sure what the exact stats is, Chris will definitely know, but you only have a few seconds available for getting the attention of your visitor. So it's important to make his eyes take in that portion that is most important for him/her to do what you want them to do. And make it as easy for them to get them to register to get where they want to get.

For me as the visitor the most important information would be what is being offered for free hosting, how I can get it, and what do I get that isn't available anywhere else. Why should I be signing up? The design needs to make things as easy as possible for me to get all of that at one glance. I also must feel I can trust this Web host, the message should be credible. If there's too much repetition, I'd wonder why. The message should be VERY simple, clear, easy to read, easy to digest, warm, friendly, sincere, understated. There should be a flow from the one paragraph to the other. That's what I meant with minimalist. Less said, with words sparingly used, the greater the impact and receptivity of the visitor.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Genesis, I will pick up that as thing to put on my check list when changing the whole concept. I Personally think that the header is good, more is about the content that needs attention of creating it properly, more clear and understandable to the user exprience and enabling the user to effectivly navigate through the page.

I will be working on it tomorrow after college, I am picking up everything what you guys are saying.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
iGdesigner said:
Genesis, I will pick up that as thing to put on my check list when changing the whole concept. I Personally think that the header is good, more is about the content that needs attention of creating it properly, more clear and understandable to the user exprience and enabling the user to effectivly navigate through the page.

I will be working on it tomorrow after college, I am picking up everything what you guys are saying.
Thanks iG. May also be a good idea to look at other Webhosts and how they do their home pages.

This one for example works for me too. It's a bit impersonal, but every word on the page is serving a purpose with PLENTY of space surrounding the paragraphs so it grabs your attention. There is also a logical flow from one paragraph to the other.
http://www.1freehosting.com/

This design by Chris also talks to me:
http://www.freeftpspace.org/

GigaGreg

Staff member
Ok Genesis, I have done a research. I am ready to improve.

I have lots of different ideas that would make the design look better for the user experience and the minimalism. There are lots of web hostings that uses modern features such as modern designs, but there are simple as idk, less cluttered and better. I need to learn a lot I see, but improvements are good.

Definately the concept will be better after the update.

jaran

Genesis said:
jaran said:
I think you misunderstood Jaran. It's not about looking pretty. It's about being effective and getting the visitor to do what you want it to do. You've got to get into the head of the visitor and see what he/she wants and then create a design that matches. Not sure what the exact stats is, Chris will definitely know, but you only have a few seconds available for getting the attention of your visitor. So it's important to make his eyes take in that portion that is most important for him/her to do what you want them to do. And make it as easy for them to get them to register to get where they want to get.

For me as the visitor the most important information would be what is being offered for free hosting, how I can get it, and what do I get that isn't available anywhere else. Why should I be signing up? The design needs to make things as easy as possible for me to get all of that at one glance. I also must feel I can trust this Web host, the message should be credible. If there's too much repetition, I'd wonder why. The message should be VERY simple, clear, easy to read, easy to digest, warm, friendly, sincere, understated. There should be a flow from the one paragraph to the other. That's what I meant with minimalist. Less said, with words sparingly used, the greater the impact and receptivity of the visitor.

Absolutely you're right Genesis. I agree about it. I only took example from side of navigation to access all gigarank service. It must have good navigation page by page so visitor dont get confuse when they look around.

dxverm

Wow this has turned into a very informative post! Thanks for the extra info everyone! I will be trying to incorporate all this into my next design!

GigaGreg

Staff member
@Dxverm a good discussion always turns into something that allows us to get something out of it, which is very important as we learn everyday, and even in our industry everything is so dynamic.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Hey Guys,

I have just updated the layout. It is in the first post, or if you can't be bothered to go back, here you go:
gigarank.png