A new-ish scam.

Tytoowns

Hey guys,
The other day i stumbled upon a scam and thought i would share it with you guys so i can make more people aware of it.

Ok, so recently i was checking my emails through Gmail and i noticed I had a notification, so i checked it and "Free Samsung Galaxy S6 Giveaway" added me to their "circles" which is kind of like a friends list for Google+. As shown here:
addedMeToAGroupWima.png
So i went to their Google+ page and it looked like this:
thereGooglepage.png

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the warning Tytoowns. Can imagine a large number of people will be scammed as everyone would want a free Samsung Galaxy S6.

Tytoowns

Genesis said:
Thanks for the warning Tytoowns. Can imagine a large number of people will be scammed as everyone would want a free Samsung Galaxy S6.

no problem, i checked their Google+ account and it looks like they have been adding thousands of people to their circles, hopefully enough people will report their account so possibly it could get taken down.

Yozora

Thanks for the heads up @"Tytoowns"! Is there a way that you can report the spam account?

Barnum4000

I also love it how they have got a picture of people who have supposedly won it before. they even wrote a paragraph pretending to be the people who won. The images also look legit because i did an image search and found that the image was not found from any other website.

Tytoowns

Yozora said:
Thanks for the heads up @"Tytoowns"! Is there a way that you can report the spam account?

your welcome :smile:and yes, you can report the spam accounts. Just go to their profile and click on the button that looks like V (a downwards facing chevron) and then click report/block.
here's an example:
reportThem.png

Also, when searching for them so i could report them (as they removed me from their circles about 24 hours after they added me) i found what looks like the final nail in the coffin and proves that it is a scam, many duplicates of the account:
SearchForSamsung.png