Account Suspension

CSense

HI-

DJB- got your PM, responded, thought we had a plan underway...

Got another email, 2 days ago saying our account was 87% full -- and have not added anything since...

So, today our account is suddenly suspended...& we cannot get to cPanel or FTP to check out (and fix) if we somehow topped out our space usage....

Is this situation reparable? Should we just go find another host? I know Genesis is still kinda pissed at us for the MyBB hack attempt last fall (where our bandwidth went way up until we removed it), but if our account is going to be suspended while working on a solution with the head honcho, then maybe we shouldn't be here....

Pls advise, & unsuspend us if a solution seems viable....

Many thnx,

-CSense

GigaGreg

Staff member
As far as I know your account was suspended because of the amount of email sent from your mailbox everyday. It was like 1000k messages from Costco.

CSense

iGdesigner said:
As far as I know your account was suspended because of the amount of email sent from your mailbox everyday. It was like 1000k messages from Costco.

Dunno anything about that -- we have _nothing_ to do with Costco and have _never_ sent out a mass mailing like that...any way to block the ip or something? Has the account been hacked? Was it incoming or outgoing? On which email account? And no word from admin when it started? We had a problem last fall with our MyBB forum getting hammered, but we removed it and that problem seemed to have gone away...and now this!

I love Giga, but if our account is going to get suspended because of actions from an outside malefactor -- with no warning or notice from admin -- , then I guess we'll have to change hosts...:-(

...and still haven't heard anything from DJB or Genesis...:-( :-(

...really bummed out by all of this...

-CSense

Genesis

Administrator
Split posts from Running out of Space Question thread.

@Csense. This issue is a different one to the one about running out of space, and the important person to hear from here is our Technical Admin, Un4saken. He was the one who discovered and investigated the large number of spam e-mails that had come through your account. The e-mail issue isn't as though it was the first time it has happened either. I recall spending hours of time trying to sort those out for you just a few months ago. You were warned then that this cannot be allowed to happen again. There is more than one very lengthy thread in this Forum to testify to that.

This is a free hosting account sharing space with other free hosting accounts and it is our job to keep this space as safe and spam free as we can in the interest of every one here. The TOS is very clear on this.

CSense

Genesis - PMing you..

-CSense

Genesis said:
Moved posts from Running out of Space Question.

The important person to hear from here is our Technical Admin cSense. He was the one who discovered and investigated the large number of e-mails that had come through your account. The e-mail issue isn't as though it was the first time it has happened either. I recall spending hours of time trying to sort those out for you just a few months ago. You were warned then that this cannot be allowed to happen again. There is more than one very lengthy thread in this Forum to evidence that.

This is a free hosting account sharing space with other accounts and it is our job to keep this space as safe and spam free as we can in the interest of every one here. The TOS is very clear on this.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Also it is in your hand to make sure that your hosting is free from spam and from unauthorized access. You are risking all of us to get hacked and hammerd with spam if you don't maintain your site. And if you cannot maintain/monitor your hosting you are not eligible to have a free hosting, I'm sorry, but Genesis said clearly and warned you few months back. If you read our TOS again, you will notice that we don't have rights to inform you, just suspend your account immidiately when we see a bad behaviour on it.

Genesis

Administrator
@Csense. We're EXACTLY at the same place as we have been on 4 June 2014. Our WHM Mail Manager is backed up from here to eternity with spam e-mails that are queued from your Admin e-mail account.

Can you PLEASE delete your Admin e-mail Account as soon as you can. Or allow us to do so.

For now don't recreate your admin account until you have figured out how someone hacked into your account.

I strongly suggest you manage Colonialsense.com's e-mails externally, even if you have to pay for a secure mail host.

Genesis

Administrator
@cSense. Since there has been no reply from you, I have gone ahead and changed your mailbox password. Please check your PM in your Inbox for your new password.

There is a flood of e-mail still being sent from your admin mail account. This is a warning that we may have to suspend your account again if this continues. Best remedy for now is for you to delete your Admin Email Account.

Genesis

Administrator
Feedback and Status - GMT 4:00 a.m.

Delivery Queue of 434,290 spam e-mails deleted by un4saken
Failing any response from you to our PMs and notices in this thread last night, un4saken emptied your Admin e-mail box and had to spend a significant portion of his time to empty the delivery queue of spam e-mails as well. A record 434,290 spam e-mails. I tried to delete the queue in WHM, but the folder wouldn't open because of how full it was. That is just not right csense.

Bottom line: The Admin e-mail account is now empty. There is a new password in your Inbox, but you still need to delete the admin e-mail account completely and start it from scratch. As per my PM to you of 4 June 2014, can you please change the name of the account to something else - NOT Admin. Hackers target Admin accounts. We are completely convinced that the hacker scripts are still on your computer or in your Website. Obviously those spam mail scripts are targetting an account with the name of "Admin".

We strongly suggest that you take every precaution for cleaning up your Website of scripts. Best is to check all of your old software and scripts and update them to current. The problem has not been solved. The script is still lurking somewhere on your system.

To make doubly sure about the e-mail issue, I suggest you delete your e-mail accounts completely and use a secure third party e-mail client at a nominal fee instead. That way you would have double security. And you'd be able to blame those guys if something goes wrong.

By the way, after un4saken had deleted all the contents of your Admin e-mail account, your account is now down to a size of 450MB. So obviously it is not space you are needing, but to get rid of spam scripts. You need to tighten up the security of your Website.

You've asked us to warn you ahead of time and this is an official warning. There won't be a third experience like this for us. If this happens again, the account will be suspended and terminated, exactly as per our TOS rules. It is not our job to take care of the spam that comes from your Website. That is your responsibility. The more activity there is on your Website the more likely you will be vulnerable for spam scripts. The greater protection you need. There is plenty of material on the subject on the Web and suggest you research those and work on fighting spam actively on a daily basis. As the game changes on a daily basis. The spam scripts are getting more and more sophisticated and to keep Website software up to date is no longer a luxury, but a necessity, even ahead of time. Best is to get the updates from a reliable source and have the software and scripts on your Website automatically updated if you can. Or have update notices received at an e-mail account of yours that you access regularly.

ogah

gigarank should set limits for the use of the function mail ()
I see at some free hosting providers have a restriction per hour or per day.
if limit reach, function mail() will not work

un4saken

Administrator
There's a limit already, which is 30 per hour.

However if you keep sending them, they will be in the queue.

ogah

possible or not if we disable queue in server configuration?
or maybe auto suspend if user reach the limit

Genesis

Administrator
I like the idea of auto suspension Ogah. Don't think we should disable queue however. Not often that this kind of thing happens any way and the queue function provides a great service to the community.

un4saken

Administrator
Queue function is a must. Think about you have a community forum and more than 30 people are registered in a hour. 30 people will get their confirmation emails but the rest of them will get 1 hour later. We can't disable the queue system. And auto suspension is a bad idea too.

I check the queue every couple of days, so if i find something suspicious i simply suspend their account and let them know about the reason.

I usually don't touch the queue, people always try to send massive amount of emails (500-1000, even 5000 is tolerable for me) but in this case i had to take actions because 400k emails are way too much and I consider it as a total spam.

I can't take the risk of getting our IPs blacklisted.