Akismet

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Any one using Akismet here? I'm curious to learn what you experiences have been like and how you are using it.

GigaBot

Administrator
Sander k said:
Nope, its a pain in the ass. Blocks out to many regular users.

I wanted to start thread about Akismet WP PLugin, but first, which is good and recommended practice I searched Forums to see if there is already such thread. And there was. It is an older thread, but nevermind ...that is why I reply to an old thread.

I'm not completely agree with you. It is doing it's job good. It doesn't block anyone or anything or erasing. Every comment that Aksimet consider as a potential spam is in a "spam queue", held for Admin review. If you think it is not a spam, you just approve it.
Now since it is a plugin from Automattic by Matt Mullenweg, the founder of WordPress ... it could have more options and functions left in Free version.
There is also other, probably even better such Plugins, but Akismet surely is not "pain in the ass" ...it is a good plugin.

GigaBot

Administrator
Tony1Faze said:
it is crap... sorry

Alright, we already concluded that you are not "impressed" too much with WordPress generally :pardon: , and I guess you're even less impressed with Automattic and Matt Mullengen. I really respect your opinion, and you're might be even right about it, but I just can't agree with you, and it's OK.

Just when you say that something is crap...write few more words of explanation. Statements like it's a Best Thing ever or Worst thing ever ...or crap ...are not opinions or arguments and certainly not a part of discussions, and Forums suppose to be a place for Discussions, I guess?! ...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Tony behave yourself! :p And YES, I'm also interested in your reasons for not liking Akismet.

@"misharnet"

We tried akismet at our previous website and it got to be in the way, i.e.our good members got spontaneously banned for just referring to something in another Website and Akismet not liking something at that Website that had nothing to do with the discussion. Maybe it is just too rigid and DJB then let go of it.

I've noticed akismet in my WordPress as a default plugin but have never activated it for the above reason. That is probably not a sufficient enough reason, I should try it out, but I'm VERY wary of the plugin.

GigaBot

Administrator
Genesis said:
Hey Tony behave yourself! :p And YES, I'm also interested in your reasons for not liking Akismet.

@"misharnet"

We tried akismet at our previous website and it got to be in the way, i.e.our good members got spontaneously banned for just referring to something in another Website and Akismet not liking something at that Website that had nothing to do with the discussion. Maybe it is just too rigid and DJB then let go of it.

I've noticed akismet in my WordPress as a default plugin but have never activated it for the above reason. That is probably not a sufficient enough reason, I should try it out, but I'm VERY wary of the plugin.

I'm not recommending Akismet or something like that. There is better plugins for that kind of purposes, I was just saying that "pain in the ass or crap" are not true... I am not using it regularly neither.

But anyway if you are interesting in anything related to WordPress, always search WP "Bible" first. If you want to know more relevant things about Akismet check CODEX.WORDPRESS.ORG and this articel:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Akismet

It might not change your opinion about something, but you will, at least be sure that you have RIGHT informations.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
misharnet said:
It might not change your opinion about something, but you will, at least be sure that you have RIGHT informations.
True. That is usually my recommendation to every one else as well. Check the WordPress site for the quality of support, whether it is current, and the reviews. As I said in my post, I probably should try it out one of these days, but since we had a problem with it quite a few years back now, that must have influenced me negatively. I'm open to any positive review about the plugin though as I would be to negative reviews of greater substance than Tony's.