Any one into food?

Genesis

Administrator
I love food. Not all of the time, but I like good food and my tastes change all of the time. How about you? What is your favourite grub?

Tonight I made something strange and basic that just hit the spot. I was hungry, which is always a good start for a successful meal. Checked my cupboards and came up with a tin of Waitrose organic chopped tomato and a tin of sardines. Cut up some onion, grated ginger and two cloves of pressed garlic. Fried that up in a little coconut oil. Then added half a tin of the chopped tomato. Let that cook together for a minute or two. Added the sardines. Then a couple or more liberal dashes of Louisiana Cajun Spice. Turned out great to my surprise as ordinarily I'm not a sardines fan, but have heard it's supposed to be good for a person, and it's low cost as well!

So do you have a dish that you really like to make, or have made for you? What's your favourite grub?

PeaceSigns

Crackers and italian dressing (don't judge me :( ) ...ok, but seriously, fries with mayo odd combination but oddly satisfying.

Genesis

Administrator
Fries and mayo are king's food in Amsterdam, Holland I remember. It was as cold as heck and we had the fries in a paper cone with loads of mayo on it. That was my first experience of mayo with fries, and I really liked it.

Genesis

Administrator
PeaceSigns said:
Is it a Dutch thing? It has to be a lighter mayo otherwise it would get a little sickening.
It is indeed. At the time I was still living in South Africa and was used to fries with tomato sauce. It's a huge jump from tomato sauce to mayo, but I liked the tartness of mayo, and it did not taste bad at all.

Hazem

Meat well done , chicken every part of it , salads all types , pasta my favorite meal , and I like potato , Fatah ( arab meal rise + meat )

Pauline

I prepare all of the food for my family. We eat a lot of rice dishes in the Philippines with chicken. And soup.

Genesis

Administrator
PeaceSigns said:
I looked it up and it looks like the Dutch bathe their fries in mayo - I was more dipping a few fries in it.
Right. Almost like eating mayo with fries on the side. :p I enjoyed it at the time however. Not sure whether I'd still like it if I went there today. I seem to recall I liked their breakfasts as well. My grand parents' version of it. My grandmom used to eat a slice of breakfast cake (honey spice loaf) on top of her buttered toast. I never tried that as it looked a bit gross to me, but I did like the breakfast cake without the toast. They also had toast with lots of real butter and De Ruyter chocolate sprinkles. Now that was to die for when I was a kid. Including the bread in the Netherlands. I don't think there is a country that can beat them for best bread.

20111115-hagelslag-ingredients.jpg

Source of story: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/12/eating-sprinkles-the-dutch-way-hagelslag-on-bread.html

Karich

It's a huge jump from tomato sauce to mayo, but I liked the tartness of mayo, and it did not taste bad at all.

Maximus

I love pub food. Probably not the best diet ever, but since I'm too lazy to cook, I've come to depend on our local pub for my fodder.

Genesis

Administrator
I like pub food myself. I remember when I was in Canada I quite liked mexican food with drinks. Particularly nachos, if it was done right, and with authentic ingredients, like real cheese and tortilla chips with a hint of lime.

Genesis

Administrator
I like Japanese food too. Particularly the hot dishes. I like how the flavours that they use work together. Particularly what they do with ginger as well.

GigaGreg

Staff member
I will eat everything apart from the "shit" and the garlic. Im open minded to what I would eat. Just eat, Im so hungry.

Genesis

Administrator
I love garlic. Pretty awesome with ginger. A nice marinade is some soya sauce with vinegar, grated ginger, some sugar and pressed garlic. Particularly for fish. Tastes almost like sushi.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Well I dont mint to eat the garlic bread or the souce, just the plain garlic.... Cant stand that