Anybody use MyBB?

Which Forum Software Do You Use?


  • Total voters
    18

BungBung

New member
For me, I like MyBB out of the other forum software choices. I like it because it's fast, user friendly and really, it just works. Also there's a wide variety of plugins, mods and themes that are all very customizable.

For other forum owners out there, what software do you use and what's cool about it? I have tried others paid and free and they just seem clunky and bleh... Vbulletin and IPB Power Boards just didn't appeal to me and didn't feel as smooth as MyBB and let's face it, why pay for something that MyBB does well in my opinion?.?.

I'm just curious what forum software you use and why... :huh::drinks::diablo:
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've tried both myBB and phpBB and I like them both. phpBB went through a bad security period just before its last huge upgrade to version 3.*, however with its recent upgrade it's probably in the same class as myBB 1.8. I find however less templates available for the newly upgraded version of phpBB than for myBB 1.8 and have grown very comfortable with myBB. Think myBB is the preferred script for me of the two, however I'm home in both.

I've also heard really good reports about Xenforo. I've seen some really nicely designed forums using the Xenforo script, except I just don't feel like spending money on a script.
https://xenforo.com/

Here are some of the styles available for Xenforo:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/

I've never liked vBulletin as it has too many bells and whistles and pitfalls because of the bells and whistles and lots of hard admin work to keep those bells and whistles updated, but for someone who wants to develop a community that is integrated on many levels - like really interacting socially in a huge way it's probably the best script there is so far in my experience. I'll never buy a vBulletin license though.
 

BungBung

New member
Genesis said:
I've tried both myBB and phpBB and I like them both. phpBB went through a bad security period just before its last huge upgrade to version 3.*, however with its recent upgrade it's probably in the same class as myBB 1.8. I find however less templates available for the newly upgraded version of phpBB than for myBB 1.8 and have grown very comfortable with myBB. Think myBB is the preferred script for me of the two, however I'm home in both.

I've also heard really good reports about Xenforo. I've seen some really nicely designed forums using the Xenforo script, except I just don't feel like spending money on a script.
https://xenforo.com/

Here are some of the styles available for Xenforo:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/styles.29/

I've never liked vBulletin as it has too many bells and whistles and pitfalls because of the bells and whistles and lots of hard admin work to keep those bells and whistles updated, but for someone who wants to develop a community that is integrated on many levels - like really interacting socially in a huge way it's probably the best script there is so far in my experience. I'll never buy a vBulletin license though.

Yeah i've tried to help a friend out with vBulletin and I just couldn't get comfortable with it. To me it seemed very heavy and bloated, I mean, it had some great features but I just don't find all that necessary. Plus, she had to pay quite a bit. Another forum owner I know uses that IPB thing and says he has to pay sort of a subscription? I mean, it looks great but I just don't understand paying for something that MyBB does.

I'm going to look into Xenforo but I doubt I would ever change over from what I use now. Unless of course they have some really awesome plugins and templates that I think I couldn't live without...

I think phpBB is probably just as good but for me, I just didn't find it as visually appealing and for me that's important...
 

BungBung

New member
Sander k said:
I used Mybb, phpbb, smf and vbulletin 4. But I liked smf the most, that was ages ago tho.

I've seen a few nice SMF forums and they looked great but i'm not sure about the features.
 

GeekGuy

New member
For free MyBB and PHPBB are the best forum platforms. I've seen many high traffic websites and security concerned webmaster use MyBB. In my experience, as a beginner, Mybb looks easy to manage than Phpbb. Another one Fluxbb is very light weight and good forum platform for small scale forums, can be used to discuss on a narrow topic or as a forum among friends and family. I have not seen many webmasters running fluxbb so I have no idea about how secure it is.
 

BungBung

New member
GeekGuy said:
For free MyBB and PHPBB are the best forum platforms. I've seen many high traffic websites and security concerned webmaster use MyBB. In my experience, as a beginner, Mybb looks easy to manage than Phpbb. Another one Fluxbb is very light weight and good forum platform for small scale forums, can be used to discuss on a narrow topic or as a forum among friends and family. I have not seen many webmasters running fluxbb so I have no idea about how secure it is.

Very cool! I'll take a look at Fluxbb. More than likely i'll stay on MyBB though just because it's familiar and does the job well for me. I may consider it for a private forum in the future... :clapping:
 

GigaBot

Administrator
BungBung said:
Also there's a wide variety of plugins, mods and themes that are all very customizable.

I use MyBB currently as a Forum Platform. I am very pleased with it (that's why I use it..ha), but I have to disagree with you about "wide variety of plugins, mods and themes". Comparing with SMF, as an example or PHPBB ... MyBB really lacks such ad-dons.
It is highly customisable, but it is not easy to find a lot of good pre-made Themes ...
Also uninstalling plugins is a real headache ... because in most cases you have to delete a lot of files by your self ... if you manage to find theme in a first place.

But on the other hand, there is no much bugs it is not easy to spam or hack, like SMF ...
 

BungBung

New member
misharnet said:
BungBung said:
Also there's a wide variety of plugins, mods and themes that are all very customizable.

I use MyBB currently as a Forum Platform. I am very pleased with it (that's why I use it..ha), but I have to disagree with you about "wide variety of plugins, mods and themes". Comparing with SMF, as an example or PHPBB ... MyBB really lacks such ad-dons.
It is highly customisable, but it is not easy to find a lot of good pre-made Themes ...
Also uninstalling plugins is a real headache ... because in most cases you have to delete a lot of files by your self ... if you manage to find theme in a first place.

But on the other hand, there is no much bugs it is not easy to spam or hack, like SMF ...

That's actually true about the Themes and removing plugins. I mean there's a lot of themes for the older versions of MyBB but for 1.8+ there needs to be more. Plugin removal could be easier, some of them you can uninstall but you have to crawl through your file system and remove each file individually which isn't fun...
 

binil

New member
If you want whole lot of features, go for Invision Power Board or VBulletin - that is if you have the cash for them. I have run both of them before for my friends and they are awesome.

If you want free open source forum with the most features, go for SMF. There are whole lot of beautiful themes and mods available - you can convert it into a full fledged portal or wesite. I have used it and its a good alternative to VB or IPB. I think newer patches have worked on the security issues.

MyBB is known for its secure code and people here at gigarank will vouch for it. I don't personally like it - I feel that its not that feature rich - but I too will vouch for its security. I have used it and its OK.

phpBB is also a good choice.

Both FluxBB and PunBB are ok. They are good choices if you need a light weight forum. PunBB will work well even on a SQlite database. Even though FluxBB is a fork of PunBB, I am had found earlier that it wasn't working on Sqlite - perhaps they may have corrected this.

Not a fan of Vanilla forums. Don't like its interface.

If you already have a wordpress site and need to have an integrated forum - look no further - go for BBpress. The integration with wordpress is tight and its easy to manage. People are working with integrating different forums with wordpress but they all will have issues if you upgrade - but BBpress won't have such issues.
 

Pauline

New member
I prefer SMF probably because I'm used to it, but it is not as heavy as phpBB or myBB in my experience. Much simpler to manage.
 
I have experienced all of seeker free forum programs , mybb was one of the best , sincerely I preferred the software where it was allowed the 'use of ' html in the post , because I found it very difficult for example to incorporate youtube video into the post .
 

rave

New member
i use smf and i love that. i used mybb few years ago and i found its hard to use than smf bcoz if we need to upload new theme in mybb from admin area then we need to edite many files from admin area and also need to upload themes in cpanel. but in smf it directly gets uploaded.

i dont know if mybb has released direct uploading feature for theme for admin rite now. smf loads very fast and it is fast too in mobile browser and also opens fast with 2g speed.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
rave said:
smf loads very fast and it is fast too in mobile browser and also opens fast with 2g speed.
I still have to try SMF after all of these years of using Forums, and Rave, you've convinced me to do it now. Next Forum I try out will be SMF! :good:
 

GigaBot

Administrator
Genesis said:
rave said:
smf loads very fast and it is fast too in mobile browser and also opens fast with 2g speed.
I still have to try SMF after all of these years of using Forums, and Rave, you've convinced me to do it now. Next Forum I try out will be SMF! :good:

I have a lot of experience with SMF, I have used it for years. It is a very good Forum Script, it has a lot more Themes, plugins than MyBB ... but after all of these years I switched to MyBB?!

SMF is not too SEO friendly, spammers are still "big headache" ... it is not easy to develop as MyBB and has less standard core features than MyBB like portal ...It is much easier to implement HTML5 and CSS3 in MyBB.
The only real problem with MyBB is plugins uninstalling.
But until you try your self, you can never be sure am I right or wrong.
 

Lethal

New member
I've tried all of them and I prefer Vbulletin. I find it's easier to skin and edit the actual website compared to the others but maybe this is just me :lol::lol:
 

MorganB

New member
My options on these forum software's below:

- vBulletin: forum is good but it's expensive to get.
- IPB Invision Power Board: is alright I guess, but the disadvantage of it you have to pay monthly for it....
- MyBB, I generally prefer MyBB over all the other forum software's out there! It's free for a start, it's easy to use, and customize (if you know what your doing)
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the look of XenForo - however of course one has to buy a license so it nixes it for me.

I've got so much of my experience invested in myBB so for lack of really exploring any other options, it's the one I'm the most comfortable and familiar with. I just wish myBB could make its templates a bit easier to edit and themes easier to load.

I've just recently learned about a different forum - FluxBB. Looks almost like XenForo, but of course would have many less features. It's a minimalist type Forum. When I have time I'd like to try it out.
 

dmull

New member
I, myself, like MyBB as it is simple to use, has decent about of themes and plugins, and best of all, FREE!

I am not sure if there is some integration with most CMS or not.

I feel that is where vBulletin or Xenforo has it made is the integration into other web sites.