April Fools Forum prank ideas

Snowflake

Hello!
Do you guys have any ideas for april fools forum pranks? I own a forum about music and since I launched it six years ago I always do something on the 1st of april.

At first I did the usual stuff. I said the forum would close. And surprisingly some people believed it. Then I redesigned the forum theme - which kind of didn't go as planed for me, because they loved the new theme :shock:, even though it was REALLY horrible looking. :lol: I don't know if they were all joking, it was indeed horrible and so flashy. Too many colors. Anyway, last year I did that thing that censours words? I changed a few common words into others, that really got my forum members really mad.

For tomorrow I really have no idea about what to do... I was thinking about adding a really annoying background music once they load the forum and re-design the theme again, but I would be using the same idea from a few years back and it wouldn't be that shocking...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :give_rose:

aya

I have an idea... how about creating an image from the FBI saying the whole site has been shut down due to TERRORIST investigations lol and that every members IP address is currently being traced to their physical location and arrests are to be made!
lol.... too much? lool

Snowflake

hahahaahahahahha I think that's way too much. And they wouldn't believe that I am sure. but that's an idea, thanks @"aya". :)

Yozora

I think the trick might be to make sure you leave a hint that it's an April Fools joke. And also make the joke somewhat ridiculous.
For example, something like:

Please welcome our new site sponsor: Magical Ponyland Inc. This site will now bring you all the greatest magical pony news in place of our usual content. To learn more please visit the Magical Ponyland Inc. website here.

It also might help if the prank is somewhat related to your regular content, just made more ridiculous. Like the time Google said that their search results were really ranked by pigeons.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
aya said:
I have an idea... how about creating an image from the FBI saying the whole site has been shut down due to TERRORIST investigations lol and that every members IP address is currently being traced to their physical location and arrests are to be made!
lol.... too much? lool
Haha .... think I like this one! Or an announcement that the FBI is tracking all torrents, people are being investigated and some have already been jailed.

mega-banner.jpg

aya

lol... you could go to the extreme with it & add a list of all the usernames below it who are under investigation & add EVERYONE :rofl:

Snowflake

aya said:
lol... you could go to the extreme with it & add a list of all the usernames below it who are under investigation & add EVERYONE :rofl:

GOOD IDEA! Yeah I will probably do that one hahah I liked yours too @"Yozora". I think I will use something like that for the afternoon crowd (can't have the forum shut down all day :) )

Thanks for the ideas :good:

Hazem

Once @DJB announced that some big internet company was offering a lot of money to buy the forum and every member would get a share :smile:

Hazem

yes @"tangledmemories" and I remember some were asking questions about the amount of share and when they'll get paid .. etc.. but google indexed this thread and it wasn't good for us as rumor started to spread and we got no new members :yahoo:

jaran

aya said:
lol.... too much? lool
I like this idea. :D

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
tangledmemories said:
WHAT. I DON'T SEE THAT. :shock::shock::shock::shock:
We must have missed it as it is no longer there. But if you check the Announcement line on top of the image that Greg posted this must have been what we had missed:

April 1st Competition. Earn a dollar for each of your forum posts!

Snowflake

As a April fool's prank I was going to post a review on this web host saying I h-a-t-*-d it so much and why. *not true, the opposite, actually*, but then @"Hazem" mentioned that other prank and that Google indexed the topic and I thought if what I wrote would in some way prejudice GR, then I didn't do anything after all. I'll think something different for next year. :)

jimkirk

i put up a maintenance message for my forum on april 1st but i really have no intention of ever bringing it out of maintenance mode

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
jimkirk said:
i put up a maintenance message for my forum on april 1st but i really have no intention of ever bringing it out of maintenance mode
:heartylaugh:

silenceangel

aya said:
lol.... too much? lool

Thats too much, but i will implement it on my website for the next 2015 april fools
it must be fun :yahoo: