Are you scared from the Corona-virus pandemic?

R

Rythmes

I'm not affraid of it. When we're gonna find the right cure everything should be fine. I understand in a way this is a '' new virus '' so everyone is scared about it. I think they are too much scared for it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Rythmes said:
I'm not affraid of it. When we're gonna find the right cure everything should be fine. I understand in a way this is a '' new virus '' so everyone is scared about it. I think they are too much scared for it.

Thousands of people are dying every day and Governments locked down every one to stop the virus. Do you think Governments are that suicidal for their economies for no good reason? Does this mean you're not scared of dying? As you have a 60% chance to get the virus if the community you're part of gets exposed to the virus. You also have a good percentage chance that the virus will attack your lungs. Initially they thought the virus only went for old people, but the virus attacks every one. And if you are unlucky the virus goes to your chest, then there is a good chance you may need hospital care and a ventilator. And possibly die.

Why I am scared of the virus is that I may be in the company of someone who has no symptoms of the virus, however is a carrier of the virus. That person may also not know they have the virus, all they need to have been is in the company of a person who is a carrier of the virus, not necessarily have the symptoms of the virus, but carries the virus. So it could be your neighbour who has the virus and not being aware of it, and not look sick, however if tested may show positive. By the time your neighbour shows the symptoms, it will be much too late, and he may have infected many others in exactly the same way as he infected you. That is where the danger lies, and that is why the Government asks people to stay home. Not necessarily because you can get the virus, but because they don't want you to become a carrier of the virus and infect many others.

If you are unafraid of the virus, possibly you haven't studied it properly. I urge you to do so not only for yourself, but for all the loved ones around you. As it is not only about how afraid you are, but how afraid you should be for your family and friends and loved ones. If you really care about them you will do your home work about the virus and be afraid, as this virus really kills people.

mazl

Genesis said:
Why I am scared of the virus is that I may be in the company of someone who has no symptoms of the virus, however is a carrier of the virus.
Agreed.And it is those infectees(people who infected the virus)that threatens most.Recent news say that a 15-second interaction with infectee without protection could bring infection.And you just don't know that.

As a Chinese,our main focus is the carriers,too.When we enter places like supermarkets we are required to take a temperature test.But who knows the detection rate(especiall for the no-symptom infectees)?

hunky

Unprecedented times & unprecedented challanges.

1.3 billion people are in lockdown here in India & unfortunately we still don't have reached the end of the tunnel.

Thankfully civil servants are pushing them self hard & politicians are leaving their ego aside in an attempt to feed the huge population. Specially the vast number of daily wage workers & small traders.

Question is how long?

Economic impact will be equally unprecedented.

Peter

I'm curious how widespread the virus is in the general population. I of course hope it spreads slowly in order to not put unnecessary strain on the health care system but at the same time I kind of hope there are a lot of asymptomatic/mild cases out there that hasn't been reported so that we are closer to the point were the population has good immunity so that we would be able to go back to normal sooner.

Testing of asymptomatic people have been very limited in my country thus far. They recently said they did a study with 773 people in the capital area (which is the worst hit area) and found that 2.5% of them carried the virus at that point. This was about 1-2 weeks ago so one of the experts guessed that the current figure would be around 5-10%. They haven't yet come with estimates for how many have carried the virus at some point (and therefore probably have at least some level of immunity) other than it being a considerably higher number. The picture will probably become clearer once they get started with the antibody tests. I'm looking forward to that.

I live about 200 miles away from the capital and the areas they show statistics for are quite large so it's difficult to say how the situation is where I live but I don't think there is that much spread here yet but it's just a matter of time.

hunky

@Peter

Without any antidote or vaccine, there is nothing to stop this virus. Sooner or later entire world's population will be exposed to it.

Current lock downs & travel bans are there to slow it down.

But until there is an antidote or vaccine, all these are stop gap measures to keep the hospital occupancy down.

Medicines are still atleast 8/10 months away & that too is a best case scenario. World can't stay locked for that long.

Modern life isn't prepared to live in such isolated way. Import / export is vital for all countries & communities to simply survive.

Soon world leaders may need to draw plans to isolate most vulnerable people, like old or those with previous or running Medical issues to prevent exposure to this virus. And let the general population go out with hope to see our immune system fend off this virus like we do with flue.

Extremely tough choices are going to made in near future.

hunky

It's not a country wide battle, it's a world war.

World is heavily dependent on cross country trade as highly dense nations are badly affected.

Presently supply chains & prices are at level by force. But u less factories & mines come online, stock is bound to run out & supply chain & prices will go out of control.

World hasn't seen any war since WW2 since the trade policy allows nations to obtain raw materials without any major conflict.

Everything has become subject specific & communities have lost self sufficiency skills. No nation in the world is self reliant and all are dependent on each other for one stuff or another.

All these aren't far fetched hypothetical discussion anymore, it's now harsh reality.

Initially death rate was said to be around 2% but as soon as it reached global scale, some countries are having much higher ratio

There is a real possibility of mutation.

This virus may develop into a far lethal strain while doctors around the world try out different medicines. Even the common flu virus does that and often this flu shots become ineffective & a new shot is required.

Peter

hunky said:
Initially death rate was said to be around 2% but as soon as it reached global scale, some countries are having much higher ratio
hunky said:
There is a real possibility of mutation. This virus may develop into a far lethal strain while doctors around the world try out different medicines. Even the common flu virus does that and often this flu shots become ineffective & a new shot is required.
It's possible, but from what I've read it's more likely for a virus to evolve into something less lethal over time. A major reason why this went on to become a pandemic was that everyone lacked immunity completely. If it keeps coming back as a seasonal flu it probably won't cause as much problem as it did the first time because people's immune systems will be better prepared.

Yozora

I'm kind of getting worried. The panic buying is just getting worse here, and now the government is recommending wearing masks outside in public. My sister sent me a N95 mask and a surgical mask to go over it and make it last longer, because I'm around older relatives a lot. I tried wearing the masks going shopping. At first I was OK, but after a while I couldn't breathe well unless I took deep slow breaths and I felt dizzy. My sister said I must have put it on wrong. I've been slacking on exercise a little since this whole pandemic started, so part of me wonders if exercising more would help. I'm dreading the next time I go shopping. Stores here are starting to require that customers wear masks...

How are you guys holding up so far? Are lots of people wearing masks where you are too?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:
I'm kind of getting worried. The panic buying is just getting worse here, and now the government is recommending wearing masks outside in public. My sister sent me a N95 mask and a surgical mask to go over it and make it last longer, because I'm around older relatives a lot. I tried wearing the masks going shopping. At first I was OK, but after a while I couldn't breathe well unless I took deep slow breaths and I felt dizzy. My sister said I must have put it on wrong. I've been slacking on exercise a little since this whole pandemic started, so part of me wonders if exercising more would help. I'm dreading the next time I go shopping. Stores here are starting to require that customers wear masks...

How are you guys holding up so far? Are lots of people wearing masks where you are too?

Same here. It is recommended that we wear masks every where. And it is a requirement to wear a mask and gloves in a car. Only 2 people are allowed in passenger cars, one in front driving and one in back. I got a homemade mask that is made OK, double cotton and reusable - I got two objective being to immediately clean it when I get home and have the second one for the next day.. However you're right. Those masks are very uncomfortable and the one you have doubly so - looks like the more protection it has the more uncomfortable it gets. After a while you seem to fog it up inside and if you're wearing glasses, the glasses get fogged up. I got gloves, but instead of wearing gloves at shops I ask the door guard to spray alcohol based hand lotion when I walk in and ask them for it again when I leave the store. I'm also careful when I get home to wash my hands repetitively. I've become much more aware of how often I touch my face, and particularly my glasses to readjust them.

I must say the masks I see people wearing on average are inadequate for the better part. They're those cheap wrap masks - thin low-weight blue material that look disposable and because of the breathing issue some are wearing it very loosely allowing it to drop below their chin and then adjust it up to their face thinking their gloves will protect them. In the meanwhile they must have touched products on the shelves and a number of surfaces with the gloves. I wonder how really protective masks like that are in the end particularly when they are creating vapour and you then touch your face when you adjust them. They may also cause people to be less vigilant thinking they're protected, but possibly not, particularly with the gloves.

Peter

Some interesting numbers from the area around Stockholm, the capital of Sweden:

Antibody testing has been made on blood from blood donors. 100 tests were made last week and 11% turned out positive Source ?

The Public Health Agency of Sweden said their models 1000 real cases for each recorded case and that a third of the people is expected to have or have had the virus on 1 May. These are just models so there are of course a lot of uncertainty in this. Source ?

Edit: 1000x more cases than recorded was the number that was presented at the press conference and written on their website but it turns out to be wrong. The real number seems to be more like 100x, at least if you look at one date that they gave as an example, but it's not clear whether this is a number they stand by.

:wacko:

---

The rest of the country has not come as far in this epidemic. I have heard reports of some cases from near where I live so I guess it's here but I have no idea to what extent. I've got less concerned about the virus itself lately but I'm a little bit worried that people will start to ease up too early before it's over, especially here were it feels like it has barely started.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Peter said:
The Public Health Agency of Sweden said their models1000 real cases for each recorded case and that a third of the people is expected to have or have had the virus on 1 May. These are just models so there are of course a lot of uncertainty in this. Source ?
The experience is the same in South Africa. Amazing with tests where someone tested negative, but still had the virus. Then passed it on to a long list of people before the person started to exhibit symptoms. Scientists say that some who have the virus and show no symptoms may not show symptoms at all and then after a while test negative. So the 1000 real cases for each recorded case particularly in densely populated areas make good sense to me.

Also the reason why it's difficult for me to look at any Corona virus stats with confidence.

Peter

Genisis said:
The experience is the same in South Africa. Amazing with tests where someone tested negative, but still had the virus. Then passed it on to a long list of people before the person started to exhibit symptoms. Scientists say that some who have the virus and show no symptoms may not show symptoms at all and then after a while test negative.
Genisis said:
So the 1000 real cases for each recorded case particularly in densely populated areas make good sense to me.
It turns out that number was a mistake (not by me). The real number seems to be closer to 100. Not sure what to make of it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Genisis said:
So the 1000 real cases for each recorded case particularly in densely populated areas make good sense to me.
It turns out that number was a mistake (not by me). The real number seems to be closer to 100. Not sure what to make of it.
[/quote]Agreed - I guess the 1000 looked a lot on the face of it. The number games statistically for the Corona can be mind boggling though. I saw a program a few weeks ago where some or other expert was interviewed saying that Corona virus spread 2.5 times faster than the common flu. He then illustrated how quickly the 2.5 times turned into thousands. Once 50 cases have been reported, the multiplication turns into hundreds much faster. I wonder whether it is really 2.5 times more contagious, like possibly it is just more contagious than the normal flu because no one has any immunity against it.

This afternoon I was watching a few international news channels clicking through them and landed at an English news channel belonging to China. There was an interview with a doctor from one of the intensive care wards at a Hunan Provice Hospital. I was blown away with the high quality of protective clothing the doctors were wearing. I'm not really into conspiracy theories, but looks like Hunan Province was much better prepared for the virus from that point of view than all of the rest of the world. I noticed during the course of interviews with scientists that there are already peer reviewed papers that have been published, so may spend some time tomorrow to see whether I can find them.

I'm very curious (am sure millions of others are too) as to who patient zero is/was, and exactly where the virus started.

Peter

Genisis said:
Agreed - I guess the 1000 looked a lot on the face of it.
Genisis said:
I saw a program a few weeks ago where some or other expert was interviewed saying that Corona virus spread 2.5 times faster than the common flu. He then illustrated how quickly the 2.5 times turned into thousands. Once 50 cases have been reported, the multiplication turns into hundreds much faster.
Genisis said:
I wonder whether it is really 2.5 times more contagious, like possibly it is just more contagious than the normal flu because no one has any immunity against it.
Sounds reasonable. Perhaps the death rate is also higher for the same reason.