AV/Firewall for Android Devices (Phone/Tablet)

x86

hello software geeks, i recently on the hunt of reliable AV + Firewall for both of my Android devices (Phone&Tablet) , i'm specifically looking for AV which run low in memory and has a good detection mechanism which also function as anti-rootkit , and for firewall something which not so complex that has options which i could assign permission to apps to be allowed or allowed internet access and some logs in capability, also one that could block websites, any suggestion would def be appreciated.

Hanzo

Hello x86,

Personally I use AVAST and fully satisfied with it's services.
Regarding the FW, all of them requiring low level configuration and all normal ones requiring *root*ed device.

Don't waste your time. They don't work. If you don't believe me, I can send you an infected file to prove that they don't work. After be out in the wild for 3 years, none of them detect the infected file. The file is actually an AV file with a rat attached to it. Even after its deployed, its still not detected.

Hanzo

strokerace said:
Don't waste your time. They don't work. If you don't believe me, I can send you an infected file to prove that they don't work. ... e ven after its deployed, its still not detected.
Can you send me?
And small description of what inside and how it have to affect my Android based device. :)

Figlet

I'm with Hanzo. Avast! has always been good to me. Of course, I used them mainly for anti-theft and call blocking before that was included in the Android OS system. Pretty exhaustive feature set, regardless!

GigaGreg

Staff member
If you are doing any basic web browsing, the bitdefender might not be enough. It has low security and overall is very bad, because it doesnt deffend your device properly. It has an award from 2015 for best security and anti-virus defend, but many antiviruses get that as well.

serverresi

Personally, I don't use any AV services in Android because to the batterie use of them. But I would recommend Avast because it helped me a lot with an adware that I had on a Huawei G6 device.

amh

i uused android phone and i have used avast, bitdefender and kaspersky . None of the softwares detected anything and most of time i used my phonbe wthout antivirus as it will affect the performance. few weeks ago, i installed zemana av because they gave free premium lifetime license for beta users. but i am quite agreed with stokerace,because locked devices should be no problem as google already provided great security to android platform, as far as i know,the only potential to threat was root device.

rave

i am using cm security.i am using it from 4 years and it so good. you can also get cm security lite for less ram mobiles.

also download cm clean master lite to clean junk of ur phone. it helps lot.

avast also good av but i dont prefer it for phone antivirus. i use avast for pc

peanutbutter

I used to have avast on my phone, but I realised I actually don't really care. If anything happens to my phone, that's okay. There is nothing truly important on there that's not backed up.

Besides that, if you stick to the bigger apps in the playstore, don't visit sketchy websites and use and ad blocker to prevent malware from apps, I don't think much will happen to your phone.

I do have a firewall on my phone, called afwall (Android). But this is not for security, just to make sure that only certain apps can use my mobile data ^^

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
peanutbutter said:
I used to have avast on my phone, but I realised I actually don't really care. If anything happens to my phone, that's okay. There is nothing truly important on there that's not backed up.
I thought Android had its own built in anti-virus as well. Like one doesn't really need more anti-virus than what Android already has?

peanutbutter

Well, @"Genesis", not really. It warns you when you're installing something not from the playstore. But on a rare occasions even an unpopular app in the playstore can contain malware.

So as long as you don't install fishy apps it's not too bad I guess, especially now you can control all permissions manually for every app if you wish.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
peanutbutter said:
So as long as you don't install fishy apps it's not too bad I guess, especially now you can control all permissions manually for every app if you wish.
I don't have an Android phone as yet, but I'm inclined to lean towards your way of not loading anti-virus. Safety would be dependent on how one uses the phone.

autimurga

i think, android user dosnt need AV, because just like linux there is not much virus orl malware there, it;s differnt with windows OS which there is tons of virus for their OS. so you dont need to install any antivirus. it;s only make your phone slow and eat all your small memory. :)