Back with Mozilla Firefox

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Back with Mozilla Firefox after one week of Google Chrome and have completely uninstalled Chrome. I browse Google's search engine images pages very regularly, and somehow (probably very ironically) the Google images in Chrome download very slowly in the Google search engine image galleries and sometimes not at all compared with Google search engine images in Mozilla Firefox. The regular Web pages in Chrome download faster than Mozilla Firefox, but the speed is not that much more that it makes a huge difference to me.

Other reasons are I still don't trust Google, more so than before. With Mozilla Firefox it is very easy to set privacy options and get cookies and browsing data to be deleted at every end of browsing session. And they REALLY get deleted. Took me a while to finally find some of those options in Google Chrome (with difficulty), but I found that in spite of unticking certain options and working with settings in the Advanced Options, Google was still tracking my account by default. Probably not a big deal, but still, I'd rather work with Mozilla Firefox crashing and its privacy options being straight and up front, than not feeling that secure about Google. In the end though it was Chrome's slow and sometimes difficulty in downloading images in the Google image galleries that made me return to Mozilla Firefox.

Yozora

Yeah, I felt similarly after I tried using only Chrome for a week...For me it was the lack of customization options, increased lag, lack of a real equivalent to about:config, and the limitations of Chrome addons compared to Firefox ones. Not to mention I try to avoid using Google products if there's a decent alternative (I wish Firefox OS was that decent alternative to Android, and available from US cell phone carriers.). Right now I just keep Chrome around to test sites in.

A lot of developers I respect use Chrome, and they seem happy enough with it , so maybe it's just a personal preference thing. It's a shame that so many Firefox themes and plugins have been abandoned though. Half the time when I upgrade I need to edit the max supported Firefox version in plugin & theme files to get them to work (most of the time they work fine after that).

I use FF on my android. There is one browser that I found that worked even better on Android was Dolphin browser. Its actually mean for MAC users. It was faster then them all on Android.

I think there is a version for PC users too. But I can't remember. I never liked Chrome since the day it was used. It was bad enough when FF came about when I was doing Dev work. Having to adjust the code so it worked and looked the same in both IE and FF. Now you have to do it for FF and Chrome. At one time, I even had Opera installed. Again, code renders differently in that too. But its closer to chrome then FF though.

I use FF for everything and only use chrome to look at how the code renders.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Quite surprising though how similar FF and Chrome are. @Yozora. I've heard complaints about the add-ons and plugins of Firefox too. Hasn't worried me though as I don't use them as much. If I had though it might have been a serious concern, enough to perhaps have stayed with Chrome. Chrome seems to have limitless tools available. Nice part though is one can avail oneself of some of those tools through one's Google user account as well.

@"strokerace" Thanks for the Dolphin recommendation. Just noticed that Dolphin has a browser for Windows too. Am definitely going to check it out.

ogah

firefox is my favorite browser for desktop. i dont care if other people say other browsers better than firefox. firefox is the best for me, i not interest with other browsers.
i use another browser only for the purposes of web developers, to see the web that i develop still user friendly for other browser

ogah said:
i use another browser only for the purposes of web developers, to see the web that i develop still user friendly for other browser

Yup, same here. I did find that the dolphin browser for Android was better then FF. But dolphin was not that good on windows. 99% of the time I use FF. Will open Chrome to check to appearance of the site.

Yozora

@"strokerace" Really? I really like Dolphin on Android, but I'm thinking of switching to something else for my main browser. It's starting to crash more frequently, and sometimes my internet connection suddenly stops working on it, even though it's fine when I use other browsers. There's no way to import my bookmarks to Firefox that I can find though.

Yozora said:
@"strokerace" Really? I really like Dolphin on Android, but I'm thinking of switching to something else for my main browser. It's starting to crash more frequently, and sometimes my internet connection suddenly stops working on it, even though it's fine when I use other browsers. There's no way to import my bookmarks to Firefox that I can find though.

With FF on Android, you have to sync it with your desktop/pc version. I haven't used Dolphin in awhile as I gave up my cell phone.

Olivr3000

I too tried Chrome for around a month, but then decided Firefox was the way to go.
Firefox is superior to Chrome in these ways:
1. Customization - in chrome you can barely customize your browser
2. Privacy - In Chrome's "Awesome Bar" every keystroke is sent to Google
3. Faster - Proven to run JavaScript faster than Google Chrome Proof Here

xdude

I still do have Chrome but never goto used it to or comfortable to have it as default browser. But I do use it when things doesn't work it Firefox. For example Firefox doesn't let me bandwidth usage page from my ISP provider. In Chrome it works flawlessly. Also there is an online game which I play time to time but hard to load in Firefox.